News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soldering iron trick  (Read 2038 times)

Online Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Soldering iron trick
« on: June 15, 2020, 11:58:21 PM »
I saw a pretty neat trick for soldering irons (actually guns) the other day, in an old radio restoration context. In this video:

Paul "Mr. Carlson's Lab" Carlson has a radio and electronic repair/restoration channel. His videos are well-made, with great production values, and he is pretty sharp  - and also very long-winded (and based on his experience on Antique Radio Forum, more than a little nuts). Anyway, he shows a pretty neat way to hop up your Weller or other soldering gun - shorten the tips.

He shows replacing the tip entirely with a short length of 1/8" solid copper wire. The effect is that the resistance is greatly reduced, increasing the current, and thus making it get much hotter much faster. I tried that, and it worked, but was a more than a little excessive for any modeling purpose.

For a less extreme but still pretty impressive increase, take the regular tip and cut it off as much of the "tails" that go into the gun as you can without reshaping it.  Mine were cut off about 1/2". While you are at it, file the ends of the tails back to bare copper all around, and then reassemble. This proved plenty enough to quickly solder 1/8" music wire with great ease. It would have done it eventually with the normal tips, but this just about zapped it on there, less than 5 seconds. Heating it this quickly can be important, because it takes less total heat if you do it quickly, and the heat doesn't soak back into everything else nearly as much.

Of course, you could do it more by bending it, but mine is quite a bit better even with a very conservative change.

What this does to the longevity of the iron is debatable but after talking to him off-line, it seemed that he has been doing this for a long time and had no failures. Using a slightly-improved system is of course less stressing than his extreme version.

It's probably more than you need for tanks, but for heavy soldering, this seems to be a big improvement.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Soldering iron trick
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »
Thanks, Brett. Neat trick.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
Thanks for the tip. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
Thanks for the post, and turning us on to that channel. Neat stuff.

Online Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
Do you wear a mask when you solder?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »
Thanks for the post, and turning us on to that channel. Neat stuff.

There's a lot of stuff in his videos, the biggest dig on him has been the extraordinary length of his videos - 2 hours to recap and align an AA5 radio. His production values are amazing by Youtube standards, that's about 10 hours of work for each hour of video. And his massive collection of test equipment. You might occasionally want two oscilloscopes for some purpose, you will never have a purpose to 25 of them. He is, like most people, a bit strange, and melted down, Canadian-style* on Antique Radio Forum over a minor disagreement about which end of a non-polar capacitor goes to ground.

Brett

* Canadian style meltdown is getting mad, but staying polite, so no one knows you are getting angry, until finally they blow up, surprising everyone.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 01:14:17 PM »
The wire bit, and even the normal tip (with the little flat "tab") is fine for small work, where the area to be soldered is small and compact.  Soldering wires, or other small jobs is fine for this.

Successful larger jobs, like a fuel tank requires a smooth flow of solder along a seam, maybe 4 to 6 inches in length. In cases like this, the work piece absorbs a great amount of heat energy, which must be spread over a large area.  The usual soldering gun tip cannot replenish lost heat fast enough to complete a large area joint without stopping and completing the soldering seam in stages.

We have become so "modernized" that the old reliable methods are all but forgotten.  A professional tin-smith will always rely on a "copper".  That is a solid chunk of copper, perhaps 3/4" in diameter and 2" long.  Equipped with a long handle, this copper is heated in a gas flame until it has absorbed enough heat to solder a long seam without re-heating.

89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »

Successful larger jobs, like a fuel tank requires a smooth flow of solder along a seam, maybe 4 to 6 inches in length. In cases like this, the work piece absorbs a great amount of heat energy, which must be spread over a large area.  The usual soldering gun tip cannot replenish lost heat fast enough to complete a large area joint without stopping and completing the soldering seam in stages.

I like it for tanks precisely because it has very little tip mass, and will not heat an entire joint at once. In fact, at 200 watts, and the usual rate of motion, I get about an inch of molten solder on either side of the tip, the rest of it solid. That allows you to keep the tank together while also getting sufficient local heat to make a good joint. So, you tack it together however you have to get it to stay in shape, then go back over the entire joint, end to end, to get a perfect even flow from one end to the other.

The best tank soldering jobs I have ever seen (Ed Robbert) were done with a uncontrolled Weller 15 watt pencil iron that probably cost $5 in 1980, precisely because it won't heat the entire joint end-to-end and cause it to spring open, while still allowing the solder to flow like water at the point of application. I can go a lot faster (and have to) with my 260/200 watt weller gun, but have to, because if not, it will melt everything. The gun hopup might be a detriment to this, it works too well.

I have big-boy industrial irons, like a 300 or something watt American Beauty, with about half-a-pound of copper hanging off the end, and it does exactly as you say. 2 seconds too long, and the solder joint zips open from one end to the other.  It's just the ticket for quick soldering to a metal radio chassis, but nearly useless for modeling purposes. And, since it's an uncontrolled (giant) iron, a safety hazard, both fire, and anything else on the bench.

You can do any of these jobs with an tools, as long as you know what you are doing. But using the right tool gives you a lot more tolerance for error.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Good tip.  It would have been especially valuable if I hadn’t seen the earlier tip about which Weller soldering gun switch position is the hotter.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »
I will have to try this when I replenish my shop.  I had all but given up on the guns.  I use several sizes of pens/irons.  Takes a while to heat up but they seem to work better.  Electric has forced me back into the soldering business. Would 10 gauge be about right?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 08:17:09 PM »
In the video, he showed his flux bottle. I do something similar for my RA flux. Seemingly all the dudes in my shop "Vape". I asked them to save me their bottles. So I put the flux in a bottle, and isopropyl alcohol in another for easy clean up.

I see what you mean about the rather long winded explanations, but I'm very impressed after just that one video!

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »
 Saw this back in the '60s , my friend's dad did this until now I thought he did it because he was too cheap to get a new gun...
        John L.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
Saw this back in the '60s , my friend's dad did this until now I thought he did it because he was too cheap to get a new gun...
        John L.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Good one John!

Jerry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »
I saw a pretty neat trick for soldering irons (actually guns) the other day, in an old radio restoration context. In this video:

Paul "Mr. Carlson's Lab" Carlson has a radio and electronic repair/restoration channel. His videos are well-made, with great production values, and he is pretty sharp  - and also very long-winded (and based on his experience on Antique Radio Forum, more than a little nuts). Anyway, he shows a pretty neat way to hop up your Weller or other soldering gun - shorten the tips.

He shows replacing the tip entirely with a short length of 1/8" solid copper wire. The effect is that the resistance is greatly reduced, increasing the current, and thus making it get much hotter much faster. I tried that, and it worked, but was a more than a little excessive for any modeling purpose.

For a less extreme but still pretty impressive increase, take the regular tip and cut it off as much of the "tails" that go into the gun as you can without reshaping it.  Mine were cut off about 1/2". While you are at it, file the ends of the tails back to bare copper all around, and then reassemble. This proved plenty enough to quickly solder 1/8" music wire with great ease. It would have done it eventually with the normal tips, but this just about zapped it on there, less than 5 seconds. Heating it this quickly can be important, because it takes less total heat if you do it quickly, and the heat doesn't soak back into everything else nearly as much.

Of course, you could do it more by bending it, but mine is quite a bit better even with a very conservative change.

What this does to the longevity of the iron is debatable but after talking to him off-line, it seemed that he has been doing this for a long time and had no failures. Using a slightly-improved system is of course less stressing than his extreme version.

It's probably more than you need for tanks, but for heavy soldering, this seems to be a big improvement.

Brett

That Weller design has worked well, with very little change, since circa 1955.   I finally replaced my original unit, mostly due to dropping it on the floor several times in 60 years.
Paul Smith

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 07:11:35 AM »
   Jerry ,
  It's true my friend's dad ( Henry ) was a real skinflint never tossed anything. A character. 
           John L.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here