News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:47:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small Drill Press  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Small Drill Press
« on: August 22, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »
Yesterday, I ordered a "Gino Development True Power" mini drill press from Amazon.  It should be OK for drilling motor mount holes, and other light jobs.  I've tried the Dremel thing, and a "strap on your own hand drill" deal, but didn't like either.  I read a lot of reviews on this rig, and except for the normal minority of "it's a POS" posts, the reviews are pretty good.  It's cost was $65.99, but with a $25 gift card and free shipping, the cost with tax was $46.43.  Should have it tomorrow.  We'll see.
Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Small Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
Let us know how it works out.  They have a table saw that looks interesting -- if it has good bearings I could use it for ripping sticks out of balsa that's too thick for stripping with a razor.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
I bought a Delta drill press a few years ago. All metal (no plastic crap) and it has served well. I learned the hard way, you are better off to put a few bucks into a tool that will serve that be cussing out a POS.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
Got the rig today (when Amazon says two-day shipping, they mean it).  It seems to be all metal, except for the pulley cover, as far as I can see.
Haven't tried it out, and probably won't until the weather cools down a bit and I can get out to the shop. It weighs a little under 12 lb. The plate seems to be about 8"X 10", and the height is about 12".  Very compact.

Now, to the manual, and it is really a hoot.  The translation is almost impossible to understand.  Fortunately, it has illustrations.  Here's an example: "C:Adjust Rev: Cut the power supply, open the headstock cover, will spread to take by hand at two pagoda wheel a slot a dishs move, making pagoda wheel been last to the fit file."

I copied every word exactly as it is written, even the word "dishs".  Go figure!!

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
Glen I have three shops: wood working, model building, and auto/ metal working and most have cry once machines in them

BUT I do have several, so called one trick pony, smaller Harbor freight China knock offs---- that for the money suit their purpose and save me from setting up or re configuring one of my more costly more precision machines

since I got a fair deal a Skil 3320 10" drill press a decade ago for $79 I have not looked at the smaller one you just got

Unless your quill has gigantic run out or you use china cheapo bent drills...I think that machine will do exactly as you plan
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »
Thanks, Fred.  I'm not sure what "quill" is, but most of the reviews I read agree that there is very little bit wobble, even with tiny bits.  The speed control is interesting, as the control knob is the on/off switch, and it seems to work like a rheostat (hope I spelled that right).  Don't know if that will start to give trouble in the future.  Also, the drive belt is a little orange round elastic one.  I might be able to get replacements from a sewing machine store. Anyway, I should be able to drill accurate motor mounts, etc., things I've been doing by eye with a hand drill. Looking forward to trying the rig out when I can get out to my little shop.

Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
Glen on a drill press the object is to rotate a Chuck and still go up and down...so the shaft and chuck are keyed to slip and run in bearings...that assy is the "quill" and depending on tolerances and materials can be very precise or have a LOT of run out.......even the most precise have some measurable run out....

I highly recommend you also find a low cost small VISE...simple 2 to 3 inch version to hold the engine crutch or individual maple bearers as you drill the mount holes

Another hint..Ace and others sell Brad Point wood bits....these are YOU friend for drilling motor mount holes on hard woods...
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 05:10:20 PM »
Thanks so much, Fred.  Now I can talk about "quill" and come across as knowing what I'm talking about.  Thanks also for the advice on the vise and drill bits. I've got it all written down.
Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 07:11:03 AM »
I got medium size drill press from Harbor Freight a few years ago and it has served me well and still is.

It has a five-speed belt drive.  I also got a heavy duty drill press vice from them.  I would, if anything, go BIGGER, not smaller if I had it to do over.  You can use a BIG drill press for a small workpiece, but not the reverse.

If you only live once, live with big power tools.
Paul Smith

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 03:39:31 PM »
Grizzly has seemed to be the go-to place for drill presses they last years. They actually started their business selling bench top drill presses.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here