News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:22:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow glue for pressed wing?  (Read 1739 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Slow glue for pressed wing?
« on: February 14, 2022, 07:55:45 AM »
Guys,
I'm getting ready to start a new ship that will use a component that is going to be assembled then pressed between two sheets of glass to cure/dry hopefully straight. The issue is what can be used that is light but slow to cure/dry that will allow time to assemble/position the various components then get the press top glass sheet in place. I'm thinking 2 hours would be great.

Was thinking slow CA or 2 hour epoxy or Titebond III. Problem I see with the 2 hour epoxy is to get it on light you need to be very careful to spread it thin, could take a lot more time. The slow CA is a question of how long do you have before it kicks or if you get it on and pressed does it kick? Regular Sigment or white glue dries too quick to get it done a really good joint but looking at the Titbond III specs says has 10 minute work time maybe? What have you used?

Best,    DennisT
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:32:27 AM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Slow glue for pressed wing?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:18:52 AM »
Show us a picture?

I'd either find a way to position the parts so that they go right where they belong, or if possible, find a way to glue them up so they don't have to be super precise.

If you can live with Titebond's 10 minute working time you could just use that, although "pressed thin between glass" means that, first, you'll need to give it a lot of dry time, and second, it'll never fully dry while it's pressed between sheets of glass.  I have, contrary to many dire warnings, laminated large sheets of balsa and/or plywood onto fuselages using SigBond, and have not had problems with them drying out -- but I build with awesome and ponderous slowness, so if I get my fuselage all laminated up today, then chances are it'll have weeks or months to dry before it sees paint.

Epoxy pot life assumes some self-heating in the pot (epoxy cure is exothermic).  If you're paranoid about it kicking off too soon, mix it up then put it on ice.  Or remember that when you spread it out thin it won't heat up, so you'll have a longer working time.  For spreading thin layers of glue, I make up spreaders out of plastic fake credit cards with notches cut in the edge.  To make a thin (on average) layer of epoxy you just sweep that over the balsa; what's left is little ridges of epoxy to match the notches in the card.  You'll spend time making the sweeper, but not using it.  Or, if a really thin layer is enough, just sweeping balsa with card will leave epoxy in the grain of the wood -- doing both sides of a piece should be enough for a laminated bond.

This thread and this thread have profile fuselages that I built up with inner balsa framing, sheet on the outside, and plywood doublers (even triplers in one case) on the nose.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:36:11 AM »
Dennis,
Epoxy can be thinned with denatured alcohol. It’s been used for fiberglassing over balsa.
When parts are  sandwiched and pressed between glass with slow curing glue they slip away. If work table is not on level. It’s good to have extra material for slip adjustment , level the surface, block perimeter, or use some CA to secure final position. Thinned epoxy usually cures slower, and become not so brittle.

Titebond  can be thinned too. But epoxy is more forgiving for repositioning.

Jerry.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 05:11:43 AM by jerry v »
Variety is the spice of life.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 10:17:19 AM »
Gorrillla Glue.    I have sheets that I laminated and are really stiff.   The glue will sand easy and find all the worm holes in the wood.  The draw back is the glue has a short shelf life. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 01:35:05 PM »
The way we used to do this on the FF models is to first spray the balsa with a coat of nitrate dope. That stops the epoxy from soaking too deeply in the balsa. The epoxy can be spread with a scraper or a roller which is my preferred method. I'd use West Systems for this job as it has the pot life you need.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 05:36:27 PM »
Don't be coy--tell us what your application is, otherwise, most of the advice will be (far) less than optimal, and unlikely targeted to your situation.

You are all over the map in the original post when you suggest you are considering, among your other choices, two-hour epoxy and slow CyA. That gives us range that you might think is useful of nearly two hours....

Dave

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 06:24:59 PM »
The way we used to do this on the FF models is to first spray the balsa with a coat of nitrate dope.

Bob Hunt recommends hair spray -- which is basically lacquer.  Charcoal drawing fixitive or other stuff from the craft store, car parts store, or art store may work, too.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 07:46:03 PM »
Bob Hunt recommends hair spray -- which is basically lacquer.  Charcoal drawing fixitive or other stuff from the craft store, car parts store, or art store may work, too.

I know for certain nitrate dope works. and us full scale airplane guys have it around.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 08:19:21 PM »
I know for certain nitrate dope works. and us full scale airplane guys have it around.

And more power to you.  But if I can do the job with a rattle can and save myself setting up my compressor, setting up my paint gun, mixing paint, then cleaning my paint gun and putting everything away, any extra expense involved with using the rattle can is acceptable to me.
AMA 64232

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 01:22:29 AM »
For laminating balsa sheeting onto profile fuselage cores, I have had no problems using 30-minute epoxy and credit cards to squeegee the epoxy (ultra thin layers) onto both mating surfaces (I do one pair of plies at a time. The core is shaped, and the outer plies are oversized.  However, I have managed the same operation on a short kit with 1/4"-thick laser-cut halves, without mismatching and/or having the epoxy set up too quickly. Just work diligently, and don't mix the epoxy in a container. Just running out equal-length streams of the two parts makes quite enough epoxy for that thin an application for those sized parts. You can also apply a thinned coat of dope to seal pours, and sand, but I haven't had weight problems with this construction technique. Alignment pins aren't difficult, if you want them.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 06:40:52 AM »
z-poxy finish resin is great for the task. its string as epoxy but very thin and easy to spread. great penetrating capability, light and good working time.
i have build a lot od 1/3d scale r/c models with HUGE foam wings fully sheeted with the material. they endure a lot of flight stress and sun exposure with no delamination and weight was always bellow the target

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 02:17:52 AM »
What ever happened to that blue and yellow 3 hour epoxy.

Hobbypoxy Formula 2, long gone, but plenty of equal or superior are available. I still have about 3/4" in the later plastic bottles (not the original toothpaste tube). Forget about it, get the "30 minute" EZ-LAM, 30 minutes is the pot life with A LOT of margin, cure is 24ish hours.

Brett

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 10:55:40 AM »
z-poxy finish resin is great for the task. its string as epoxy but very thin and easy to spread. great penetrating capability, light and good working time.
i have build a lot od 1/3d scale r/c models with HUGE foam wings fully sheeted with the material. they endure a lot of flight stress and sun exposure with no delamination and weight was always bellow the target

This is what I use as well Fred.

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here