News:

• April 25, 2024, 08:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple upright cowl engine hole - when to cut out?  (Read 759 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Simple upright cowl engine hole - when to cut out?
« on: February 20, 2020, 04:35:20 PM »
Moving forward on my latest build and have the top block and front top cowl block 95% shaped and sanded, need to hollow and get engine hole cut out. Question - have you hollowed first then bored engine hole or bore out first then hollow?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Simple upright cowl engine hole - when to cut out?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 04:43:52 PM »
Speaking from experience with RC planes, I would say that no matter what you choose, you'll regret it at some point.  You'll also regret dithering -- so cut some balsa!

I think I'd rough out the hollowing, then bore the hole, making it intentionally small.  Then test fit as best as I can and use what I learn to sand the hole to size.  Basically, if you build like me, as soon as you actually get the cowl on where it belongs you'll find that the hole is in the wrong place -- the reason I suggest making it as small as possible is because with luck, it'll sand to size and position without having to un-cut anything.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:59:36 PM »
I would say that it depends on your tools, your skills, and whether you are using the cowl as a cooling device or just an aerodynamic shape.

Starting with the last idea, if you are using the cowl to force air thru the cylinder cooling fins you will need a close fit. That means that the cowl fastening scheme needs to be complete, and have positive locating features. Then drill the holes in the mounts to locate the engine. Mount it and measure carefully. Now bore the hole in the cowling for the cylinder. If you have a new, sharp Forstner bit you have a decent chance at a clean hole. Make it undersize if you are concerned about cleaning up the inside, or worry you will be off a bit. Then progressively start hollowing to clear the venturi, needle valve, fuel filter, etc. Finally, hollow for lightening, keeping in mind this was a pressure cooling cowl.

If you don't have a drill press, or Forstner bits, then we're really talking Dremel work here, unless you built up the cowl in layers and plates and triangle stock--which works great. For the Dremel Artist, I would follow the same sequence as above in terms of what to cut out when. And I switch between the knife and the Dremel depending on which I think takes the next chunk out easiest and most accurately. Measuring and marking with precision is key. You may want to work from templates depending on your desired shape. I find that the coarse sanding drum works better on soft balsa than any of the various burrs and bits that I have. Better in terms of faster removal, and better in that it is a larger diameter and a closer match to internal contours, and I'm less likely to have small gouges.

If the cowl is just an outer skin to finish off the external aerodynamics*, then once the outside is shaped, just chop away at the inside in any old fashion to get the material out. It's all gotta go, so forget about all the early trial and error fitting. Get the walls down to nearly your final desired thickness and then do the marking for the holes. Use sharpened brass tubing for the holes where you can. Cut them undersize if you think you'll need to fudge.

These would be the way I'd approach it, but everyone seems to have a way that is best for them.

The Divot

*--This is true of all of the ARF fiberglass cowls that I have seen, as in the ubiquitous igNoblarf

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 05:41:37 PM »
"  have you hollowed first then bored engine hole or bore out first then hollow? "

BOTH . Simultaeneously . Half'n'half , Both sorta go together . Just figured ' head off ' ( or the old spare crankcase trick ) gives you a better chance of a concentric hole to cylinder .
look at the ' shed today ' thyread for latest endevour . & method .

I use chisels initially , then round things ( Alumn. tube. Batteries , Containers ) for the inside .with 40 Wt Sandpaper , initially , if theres any real material to eliminate . then 60 , 80 etc .

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 06:01:27 PM »
Moving forward on my latest build and have the top block and front top cowl block 95% shaped and sanded, need to hollow and get engine hole cut out. Question - have you hollowed first then bored engine hole or bore out first then hollow?

Best,   DennisT

Dennis,

Do you have your blocks tacked on with Epoxy? A little heat and they fall right off.

I would get the blocks really close to what you want as far as finishing. 98%.

You can make a paper template of your engine opening, center line and thrust line as a guide.

Tape the template in placed using the center line and the thrust line location.

Ink line the opening then have at it.

Hollow last then glue in place. Last 2% gives you the final results. This is how I would do it.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »
Putting the hole for the cylinder in the right place can't be hard!  Install the engine, and measure carefully from the fuselage bulkhead (where the cowl ends) to the center of the glo plug.  Transfer the measurement to the balsa block. Drill with a drill press.  How can you go wrong?
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 06:44:18 AM »
OK, I decided to first rough shape the cowl. I then marked the engine centerline on the sides of the fuse and transferred to the cowl. Then using a hole saw, about 1/4" smaller then the actual cylinder size, cut through from the top to the bottom. This allows a clean cut as the saw comes out the bottom. I then hollowed the inside then did the final fit-up using a Dremel sanding drum and fingernail sanding stick. I was able to work slow and check the fit so as to not get the hole to big.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here