News:

• June 17, 2024, 06:02:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: building order  (Read 868 times)

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
building order
« on: November 14, 2009, 02:05:21 PM »
When you build a kit with a built up body and wing what do you normally build first the wing or the body?  I am going to start building my first built up body stunter (a 61.9% RSM shark 45)  I would build the full size kit that I have but It wont fit in my car and I really like the design.  Also I don't think that I'm ready to build a takeapart model yet and I have a OS max .15 that should be perfect for the plane.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: building order
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »
Don't really matter, I usually have them both going at the same time so I always have something to do.
Leester
ama 830538

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 03:24:05 PM »
I typically do a little bit of everything.  Wing first, if I'm waiting for planking to dry, I'll work on the stab or flaps.  Multi-task, the whole building process will go by faster. y1
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:49:26 PM »
>>I usually start with the rudder.<<

I think we all develop a habit for building. I usually cut the fuse sides first then build the stab. Like, Ty, I don't know why.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:45:39 AM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:51 AM »
I do the stab, elevator and rudder first.  This gives me something done pretty quickly and spurs me on to keep going.  With own designs I make up a flow chart. I started doing this after a couple of the built something in the way and have to tear it out to proceed episodes. 

Offline Jerry Reider

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »
When I began building planes, my first few were profiles, and I kind of remember that the plans directed the builder to start by building the wing.  I've just been in the habit since then of building the wing first.  I guess, being the largest part of the plane, you get a sense of accmplishment when the structure of the biggest part is finished.  I never really thought about it before.  I just assumed everyone built the wing first.
Jerry

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
As stated, it's personal preference but also depends on how much building space you have - my area is big enough that I can lay all the parts out ... start wing on wing board & fuslage on fuse board jig & stab, etc on another.

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
I've built to so many different build orders over the years. Lately, I've gone to building the small parts first. I want to get them out of the way, and it gives me a sense of accomplishment, and feels like I'm making good progress.

It does another thing though. I often started to bog down when I built the wing and fuse first. I had all those small parts to build yet. By building them first while I'm fresh, it gets them out of the way. Now, when I next build the wing and fuse, I'm almost done.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 02:58:03 PM »
I like building the wing first, then everything aligns to it, plus I like to hang it over my bench for inspiration!

BTW, Pat has plans for the Shark 35 which may just be a really hot idea for you to look into? Its classic legal where a resized Shark 45 wont be?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »
I wanted something small that will fit in my airplane challenged neon.  The biggest airplane I can fit in it is my Grandfathers stuntwagon and that is just barely as in if I put a spinner on it then it wont fit.  I have always liked the shark 45 but I know it wont fit (my dad has one). A shark 35 would probably fit but I'm not looking for something to compete with just yet.  The last time I competed my score was 10 (first attempt was a wingin and second attempt was a half wingover and the engine quit right over my head the judges gave me 10Pt's for not killing my airplane on the landing.  ^-^ I think I was 9 at the time.)  I just want something that I can practice with that also looks nice.  Besides If I build a shark 35 then what will I put my os max la .15 on?  ;D 
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here