News:

• March 29, 2024, 06:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SIG P-51 Stunter by Mike gretz  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
SIG P-51 Stunter by Mike gretz
« on: August 18, 2021, 07:53:39 PM »

I have been gifted a SIG P-51 mustang Stunter kit. I have searched for information on the stunt hangar forums and had no luck finding anything. This is the kit with the foam wing and plastic fuselage pieces. Any information and building tips for this model will be appreciated. I`m not planning to build it now but would like to have as much information on it as I can before I do. I will be weighting all the balsa and replacing heavy wood.
                                                                                                                                                                                            Juan

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: SIG P-51 Stunter by Mike gretz
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »
Contact Jim Lee for the best mods!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2021, 08:47:05 PM »
  There is so much information in the archives that you have to be pretty specific with what words you use to search. This model has been discussed a lot. Most of the discussion will center on replacing the plastic parts with good wood. Most guys make formers for the fuselage top and mold sheet balsa. The engine cowling isn't that big and could be used. The belly scoop also. The biggest thing is good sheeting for the wing, and maybe having some one triple core your wing cores if possible. I agree with Crist that Jim and Todd Lee will be the best source and probably are the highest time  SIG Mustang pilots!!  I did oe where I made it into an A model Apache powered by a stock FP-.40 and it was a good model for me. Lost it in a crash due to something hanging up in the controls, I never did figure it out. I have a couple more stashed for a return visit to the airplane some day, this time razor back C model done in red like Pail Mantz's post war Bendix Racer.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Juan Valentin

• Captain
  • USAF 1969-73 ANG 73-77
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
Hello Guys
                          Thanks for the advice, I will contact Jim and Todd Lee to get information on this model. I don`t have anybody close by that can triple core the foam wings but I think I can cut holes on the cores to lighten them and use some light balsa I got from Riley Wooten many years back to build parts for it and hopefully make it light.
                                                                                                                                                                   Juan

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »
  As I recall mine was in the low 40 ounce range and the intermediate flyer that I was at the time, it performed well for me. If you can calculate the build as you go I would guess anything between 38 ounces and 43 ounces should work well with a reliable power plant. It's got a healthy airfoil and with any good .40 or equivalent electric set up, you should enjoy it. Keeping the finish light will be you big challenge.
  Good luck with it!
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 03:31:09 PM »
Dan,
Gretz was giving me a hard time one afternoon because I have flown his P 51 more than he did and it flew pretty darn good with the Fox 35, (Gretz had an incurable like to the Fox 35’s).  In the over twenty years at Sig I don’t know how many flights I’ve flown it and the Zlin Acrobat, but It was many.  Jim & Todd Lee did a few Mods on the P 51 stunt to lighten it up and made a few changers so Todd could fly it at the Nat’s.  I’m sure Jim will give you all the changes they did.  I’ve ofter thought that blowing up the P 51 would make a good thing to do to and upgrade to modern standards but Todd did that with the Magnum.

Later,
Mikey

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here