News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:54:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sig Koverall  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
sig Koverall
« on: July 27, 2018, 12:50:00 PM »
I Sig Koverall OK to use for cloth hinges?  I really like it because it is heat shrink and it's so easy to make little wrinkles, especially on wing tips, go away.  I was wondering if the heat shrink aspect would cause problems if used for hinges.
Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
Re: sig Koverall
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 04:18:25 PM »
Glenn,

I've used Koverall twice for hinges on R/C planes. One is a high speed delta flying wing I've had for 30 years and the hinges are still like new. I plan to use them on C/L planes, but so far have not built a trailing edge with a sandwich trailing edge allowing the fabric to be captured. On both R/C planes I glued the fabric to the top surface of the wing/flaperon with thin CA to allow a hinge point at the upper surface of the wing.  If you plan to use the "S" type hinging method (i.e. fabric hinge method) you could build a test piece and test it to destruction to give yourself some qualitative data.

Paul   

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
         It's my favorite hinge material. Not only does it lay flat, it's extremely flexible after doped. I used Testor's fast dry for attachment. I have used it for .020 models to .35 size profiles.

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
Thanks much for the good words.
Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
Yes SIG Coverall is all I use.  Too heavy for cover control line planes.   By the way put them on all across the hinge joint and you don have to seal it.^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 10:47:10 AM »
Paul, your explanation got me to thinking(a very rare event).  I planned to cover the whole hinged area first.  For example, the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator, to make the hinged areas smooth without having to poke the Koverall down into the gaps after attaching the hinges.  Then I would do the hinges on the outside surface, just like one does with bare balsa and cloth hinges.  I don't think the hinge tabs would be too ugly this way.  Problem is, will the tabs start to peel up after awhile?  My thought to solve this problem, if it might really be a problem, would be to use a strip of Koverall over the tab line to hold them down.  Or, maybe just a drop of thin CA on top of each tab would work, but would the CA pull its usual trick and run down into the hinge?  Don't want that!
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 12:14:05 PM »
Paul, your explanation got me to thinking(a very rare event).  I planned to cover the whole hinged area first.  For example, the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator, to make the hinged areas smooth without having to poke the Koverall down into the gaps after attaching the hinges.  Then I would do the hinges on the outside surface, just like one does with bare balsa and cloth hinges.  I don't think the hinge tabs would be too ugly this way.  Problem is, will the tabs start to peel up after awhile?  My thought to solve this problem, if it might really be a problem, would be to use a strip of Koverall over the tab line to hold them down.  Or, maybe just a drop of thin CA on top of each tab would work, but would the CA pull its usual trick and run down into the hinge?  Don't want that!
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Glen Wearden

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here, but I perforated the balsa surface area where the CA would be applied. I used an awl and lightly tapped small divots where the hinge would be glued. Then I soaked the CA thru the Koverall and let it absorb into the balsa. I mashed the hinge down using wax paper to prevent it from curling up. Any CA that did not soak in I wicked up with the edge of a paper towel. If the towel left a little residue, it sands off easily. If this does not answer your question, reword it and we'll try again.

Paul

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »
Thanks again, Paul.  I hadn't thought about perforating, but that makes a lot of sense.  The thin CA should seek the line of least resistance and soak into the balsa through the Koverall.  U da man!
Glen Wearden
Glen Wearden

Offline Matt Curtis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »
I would not use ca to attach Koverall if you are using it for hinges. I would use dope as stated earlier in this thread. Ca is brittle and will make the coverall brittle. I assume you will be using strips of koverall and going under and over and going all the way across to seal the hinge line as well?

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
Hi Glen,
Sig Koverall is Great Stuff!  I've used it many times on stunt models.  It is not heavy at all, after heat shrinking the Koverall it only take about three coats of high shrink bone to seal it and gives the appearance, looks like heavy weight silk.  Yes you can seal the Koverall completely with more dope and sanding sealer but I prefer the look of the material weave. 

Claude and I did a test on a Sig Cobra one was covered with silk, and the other with Koverall. They both weighed the same when finished.  I never tried using it for hinges on C/L models, but I've used it on a few R/C models such as the Ninja and Samurai.  It worked very well and placed small strips of silkspan on the top of the over&under hinges to cover the edges.  I don’t see why it wouldn't work great but let us know how it works out.

Mikey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »
SIG Coverall is what I do all my hinges out of. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here