News:

• April 18, 2024, 04:32:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sam's Streak FINISHED!  (Read 7429 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sam's Streak FINISHED!
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
We unboxed it and Inspected the contents. I loosened the diecut parts and letSam punch them out. He listened well and was very careful not to break them. Slid the wing in just to mock it up. We will start glueing next.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:59:21 PM by mike londke »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
Re: Sam's Streak
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
Looks like Sam is having great fun!!
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
If you can hold his interest this will follow him throughout his life. This hobby is the most rewarding thing you can give him. From the man on the computer.
AMA 12366

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:46:11 PM »
I don't think my dad and I ever built anything together before I was 19.

Of course, when I was 19 and we tried it* we found that we were both perfectionists committed to doing the job right, we didn't always agree on the details, and we were both willing to firmly stand our ground about what we believed.  The -- ehem -- "engineering discussions" tended to raise the roof.

* Building the mock-up for the 1939 Ford Convertable body that Wescott's Auto Restyling builds -- we basically made temporary molds of every panel, then built a body by hand from the individual panels ala Corvette.  Much measuring, cross-measuring, leveling, hesitating before gluing things down, arguments discussions about whether everything was square and straight before the glue was mixed, etc.

The mold came out nice, though.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »
Though my father was a very talented builder and the person who got me into CL, sadly we never built anything together.
I've introduced my 17 year-old son to the sport.
He learned to fly and even learned to wingover and loop, but it seems like he's lost interest...
You can see in Sam's eyes that he loves it!!
Maybe my grandkids, when I have them, will get involved...

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
The look on his face says it all.   Now when he starts to lose some interest or is getting tired, don't push him.   I let my son do his as he was about 11 or 12 when he really got the hang of flying.   Learned most of what he knew  from other people as far as flying.   Still have a 1/2A Cub he has never finished as he doesn't like dope.   My grandaughters built their first planes and now won't fly them.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
While Samuel was at school I did some prep work so we could do some assembly. I taped off the areas to glue, mixed some epoxy and let him go to town. Tip weight, bellcrank mount, leadout guide. A smile at the end with a finished wing. A 4 1/2 year old with epoxy takes some patience (and try to take pictures at the same time) but its going good, we are having fun doing this together.  More to come...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:12:49 AM by mike londke »
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:13:58 AM »
I makes me so happy for what Stunt Hangar could do for Sam.
AMA 12366

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
Seeing him having fun with the airplane is cool, but you should worry a bit about letting him use the epoxy.  Some of the hardeners are carcenogenic (although hobby epoxy has probably been formulated not to use such), the resin can have a cumulative sensitization effect where after long-term use people can get allergic reactions, and wet it's not stuff you want him getting into eyes our mouth.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy#Health_risks, and maybe get the MSDS from Bob Smith Industries.

On the other hand, carpenter's glue or just plain old Elmer's white glue will work just fine for almost every glue joint in the plane (every last one if you're determined and willing to modify things a bit), and I haven't heard of any health problems with it at all.  If you're building this by getting things ready and then letting him glue (now why didn't I think of that with my kids?), you should be able to to get the clamping all figured out ahead of time then let him go to town with the carpenter's glue, then clamp, and have him build a fine plane using glue that you'll be comfortable with letting him use unsupervised when he starts building his own planes three years from now.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:13:35 AM »
Lead paint,Epoxy,cloradine dust no seat belts riding in the back of a truck or riding bicycles with no helmet didn't kill us old guys. Its all in how you teach him to use this stuff. Like don't eat the paint.
AMA 12366

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
Well stated Robert. We were very cautious with the glue and I had a stack of alcohol wipes handy. No children were harmed in the making of this airplane. H^^

Offline James D. Hayes

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
My son is 22, flew his first CL (Ringmaster) last year, I just got into the sport a few years ago. Wish him and I had done it long ago. I look forward to building planes with my grand kids someday.

Jim Hayes
Just do it......

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
I guess Mom didn't see he had his good clothes on.   My wife about killed me whe she heard the kids complaining about the glue and the dope.   Had rolls of paper towels and old rags, but pants legs are so much easier to clean hands/fingers on.   LL~ LL~  Looks like he is really enjoying himself.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Mike Griffin

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Mike this is just wonderful.  I am 65 now and my father died 35 years ago.  I still think of the time he helped me build my first Ringmaster... I love to see things like this and it give me hope for the future..

Mike

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »
Thanks, for all the kind words. Today we glued on the fuselage doublers. Same as the other stuff, I test fit everything, masked non-glue areas with tape and let him spread the glue and drop the parts on. I did some pre-fab on the elevator hinges and let him brush the last coats of nitrate on them. With most of the parts done we did a test fit of the wing and I pinned the rudder and elevator and stationary flaps on so Sam could see that we are making progress. As you can see he is pretty stoked. He keeps asking "are we ready to paint yet? He wants it to be black, which is good cause I have some black Sig dope. More later....

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:59 PM »
Thats just too nice.  I am very happy that you get to do this with your child.  Enjoy the time, cause it goes so fast. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline walter bowden

• New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Looks like he is having a ball with this project.Can't wait to see the finished product fly.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
I knew this was the perfect kit for him. Not too many parts so he wont loose interest. Think about Z poxy to finish it with. If you need to know how just ask. I see now you have dope on it so too late.
AMA 12366

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 08:03:57 PM »
I am not familiar with Z-poxy, but I will research it to find out more about it. (even Dad can learn something on this build) I am using things I have on hand in the workshop to speed the build, and keep the $$$ down.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
I am not familiar with Z-poxy, but I will research it to find out more about it. (even Dad can learn something on this build) I am using things I have on hand in the workshop to speed the build, and keep the $$$ down.

Zpoxy
CLICK HERE---->    <----CLICK HERE
Is a finishing resin but its too late now you have dope on it.
If you were to cover it with 1/2 oz glass cloth and Zpoxy it would have lasted through a 100 crashes. But it still should be pretty durable. Watching the video is why I choose this for him.
AMA 12366

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Actually Robert there is only nitrate dope on the cloth hinges, nowhere else. Could I still use Z-poxy on the wing and fuse? And for that matter I could make a new elevator. Nothing is glued in place yet. Still a chance.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »
Actually Robert there is only nitrate dope on the cloth hinges, nowhere else. Could I still use Z-poxy on the wing and fuse? And for that matter I could make a new elevator. Nothing is glued in place yet. Still a chance.

I would take the hinges loose and assemble the plane and then coat it with Zpoxy and cover it with 1/2 oz glass cloth, sand then prime and paint. It will last for years doing that. 2 coats. Put zpoxy all over and wipe off, let dry then apply cloth with liberal coat of zpoxy and sand smooth. Prime then paint.

Mix 50/50 and it should take no more than 1 OZ total. It goes a long way.
AMA 12366

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
Robert, I will hit the hobby shop this week and get what I need.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
I've got a couple of old Fox 40 Schnuerle port engines.  Now if I could just find a six-foot long plank of balsa, I could build a Flight Streak trainer that spans my height, too.

So, is the kid going to fly the plane, or the plane the kid?

I'm glad to see him enjoying this so much.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 08:56:58 AM »
My son at 5 years of age flew my original Veco Tomahawk with no problems.   Power as wore out Super Tigre .35.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
I don't think he will have any trouble holding on either Doc. He's had his hand on some of my .35 sized stuff no problem. A .15 size should be no trouble. There will be a thong just in case.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »
This build will be temporarily interrupted while the FLU makes the rounds in my home.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
This build will be temporarily interrupted while the FLU makes the rounds in my home.

Thats the best time to build!
AMA 12366

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 07:43:36 PM »
I would have to move my build table into the bathroom.......... :) :)

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 03:10:19 AM »
I use nitrile gloves with epoxy now.  Once you get sensitized to the resin, you can't come near it again.  I'd hate to go through life without epoxy.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2013, 06:03:41 AM »
Wish you guys a fast recovery!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
Breaking in the new OS LA 15. We will resume the build this week. Got sidetracked by the FLU and some work was being done on our house.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »
Well stated Robert. We were very cautious with the glue and I had a stack of alcohol wipes handy. No children were harmed in the making of this airplane. H^^

Actually, the alcohol wipes are not the way to go. Solvents wash epoxy into the skin, as well as off of it. Gloves are the real answer, but I can't imagine they have suitable gloves small enough for a 5 year old. Automotive hand cleaner would be my choice, after removing as much epoxy as possible with paper towels. The citrus based orange stuff is my favorite.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »
Good point.  I did a search for little nitrile gloves.  Atlas makes some, but they are pretty costly. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
Check the direction of the grain in the rudder.  I've seen one where the grain ran parallel to the fuselage, and the rudder immediately broke in two.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
Jim, On this one its a 3 piece rudder assy. Grains are correct. It has been primed and first coat of paint is on. Will post pics when its out of paint.  Sam is still having fun and has not lost interest. We should be able to fly it the weekend after next.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sam's Streak FINISHED!
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »
Its finally done, we got it painted and after drying, installed the engine, tank, wheels, and  bellcrank. Samuel was a good helper throughout and was always eager to help. I asked him what color he wanted it, and he said " I want it black with a kitty on the wing and a white window" so that's what he got. CFC Graphics contacted me and asked if they could donate to the cause, I told them sure, and I had the decals in no time. Sam was thrilled with the logo's. Thank-You Charles. Thank-You Robert for the kit, this has been fun for Sam and I to do. Thanks to everyone else that checked in and followed. I will post a video soon of our first flights with it.  Blue Skies  Mike

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2013, 10:37:10 PM »
Looks great Sam and Mike. Maybe if we do good during they year another project for you is in order. Congrats on a great looking airplane.
AMA 12366

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 04:52:10 AM »
So nice!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Online ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »
Great job Sam!!   #^
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:53 AM »
The smile on that face with all that hair tells the story of a team effort between father and son.   I know it is going to fly great.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2013, 08:00:58 PM »
Thanks for all the nice comments, check in for a flight video soon. Mike & Sam

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »
What happened to Sam? Has he flown it yet?
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »
Looks like a Streak trainer to me. Very nice. Hope he has a blast with it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »
We hope to get Sam's first flight on the Streak this weekend. Its raining heavy in Nashville today, we are praying for better weather on Sunday.  Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 07:40:54 AM »
Hey, its been rain hear in the KC area most of the week.  Off and on yesterday.   This AM bright sunshine and the leaves are not stirring. But, then I have Church today and wind should be up by 0100PM.   Anyway I hope it flies as well as it looks in the pictures.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
Mike, I hope this is okay, bumping your old thread:

I rode the surf here from another forum reminiscing about much the same topic, and I found this. Look at Sam now, 4 years later.

What a team!
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
This young lad is growing so fast. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here