News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:43:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ringmaster nose stiffener fillet  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Ringmaster nose stiffener fillet
« on: April 06, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
Guys,
Since I am working from home have a little time to pop into the shop and move some projects along. One is a Ringmaster that I got completely built and painted but not flown. I wanted to fit a Veco BB 19. This ship seems to be well built and comes in at 18oz without the wheels, tank and motor.

Problem is it was built with the kit mounts and plywood. I really don't want to tear up to much but having built some this way as a kid I know and have seen other crack at this piont. I was thinking to reinforce the joint at the wing/fuse by adding a 1/8" plywood gusset then fill in around the top and bottom with a balsa fillet and maybe 3/4oz glass cloth over the front 1/3. Anyone do something like this to the nose?

Best,    DennisT

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Ringmaster nose stiffener fillet
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
I would leave it as is since its already built. The one I have now is an original kit build (notched LE & TE) with Fox 35 hemi and been crashed several times. The only cracks are in the stabs when it turned into a lawn dart once or twice...and the gear folded at least once. 
Bill P.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »
I decided to add a plywood gusset at the wing/fuse joint on each side. Next I will carve a balsa filet to go over it and around and back to just past the end of the kit plywood. Will probably cover with a piece of 1/2oz glass cloth, then I'll be happy. Now all I have to do is match the red paint.

Best, DennisT

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:17:25 PM »
It’s a Ringmaster fly it and spent your time building something worthwhile! Nice design for what it is, but build a modern version from Brodak or RSM instead of trying to revive a dynasaur. Decent wood and real plywood, fitting parts, better control units.

The basic design is killer as has been shown at VSC the last two years. But don’t wast your time trying to upgrade an ancient piece of Sterling junk.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
It’s a Ringmaster fly it and spent your time building something worthwhile! Nice design for what it is, but build a modern version from Brodak or RSM instead of trying to revive a dynasaur. Decent wood and real plywood, fitting parts, better control units.

The basic design is killer as has been shown at VSC the last two years. But don’t wast your time trying to upgrade an ancient piece of Sterling junk.
Now lets not get too down on the state of the art Ringmaster kits of 60 years ago. Being flown 60 years ago.LL~

Ken
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 11:06:21 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 10:16:27 AM »
With a Ringmaster or any other such profile plane, one thing that really helps is beefing up the supporting structure under the 1/16" balsa where the front end attaches to the wing.

All your front end reinforcement does nothing if it only sits on 1/16" balsa.  Some 1/2" balsa half-ribs under the sheeting would be good.
Paul Smith

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Making progress on the Ringmaster here is one of the balsa fillet over the gusset (bottom one). Will start final sanding and shaping. The fillets go back about 3/4" past the end of the plywood.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
Life just got easier for this reinforcement. Last night I decided to loosen the landing gear by removing the bolted on retainer clips. I thought when the guy I got this from built it he used a two piece gear wire as he used to sets of gear clips to retain them. Well that turned out to be the case and now the gear is off and I have much better access to be able to complete the shaping and sealing of the gussets and fillets.

Best,   DennisT

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »
Dennis,
Once you started to scratch the paint on the nose of your Ringmaster, you may consider to convert it into electric.

Jerry
Variety is the spice of life.

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »
I converted my Brodak S1 Ringmaster kit to electric. Ready to fly weight is 30 oz.

Jerry
Variety is the spice of life.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 10:22:37 AM »
Very cool. I fly my ringmaster with a veco 19 also. Very light and has lasted a couple years now

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 11:47:29 AM »
        Dennis       

I use only fiberglass tape and epoxy. First step is to tack a fiberglass strip in place with Ambroid so you can use acetone to soften the glue and have the piece conform to the joint. Mask off the edge of the fillet and apply a film of straight epoxy and then a thick mix of micro balloons and epoxy, let it set and shape with sandpaper and dowels.

Tedious, but my profile wing to fuse joints last forever.

The pictures show a new wing attached to a swap shop profile fuselage.

Ara

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here