News:

• May 22, 2024, 12:52:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carbon veil and flaps ?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Carbon veil and flaps ?
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:29:23 PM »
Hi ,

No doubt this has been asked before , but here goes , anyhow ...

I'm building a .25 sized plane with flaps that are two piece (upper and lower halves , each piece 3/32" thick) .
I'm wondering if using epoxy and carbon veil will make any improvements on the strength of the flaps , without adding excess weight ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Carbon veil and flaps ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:40:58 PM »
It will add strength. The weight depends on the technique.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:52:59 PM »
It will add more strength if the veil is added on the outside of the flap assembly. and as Randy said, the weight is a direct result of the technique
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »
I hope you're  using epoxy for assembly and not for attaching the CF veil. The stuff is way too delicate for that. Build and shape your flaps. Apply the CF veil (they're calling it "tissue", now) with clear dope - - well, actually with thinner after you've clear doped the surface and gotten it shiny-smooth. At least, that;s how I'd do it . . .

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
I've used epoxy to attach light CF veil. The trick for me was to heat the epoxy to water consistency then mix and paint on like dope. It works pretty well, but tends to build up fast and can be a way to gain a lot of weight suddenly if you are not careful. I now prefer to just build more rigid structures and forgo the veil.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »
Hi fellas ,

Thanks for the input ...

Methinks I will do the flaps with the veil , applied externally , with the thinner/dope method (less chances of a screw up)  y1

I appreciate all the help .

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »
Just to emphasize Mark's point...laminating a layer of anything between two layers of balsa doesn't make much difference. But if you put the CF on the outsides, you get some magic goin' on...very worthwhile.

Keeping it straight is a problem, and I'm not real sure how to get past that. I'm thinking of gluing plywood plates on each end of the flap, pins up from the hingeline to keep that straight, set the flap nosedown on a piece of wood covered with waxed paper, and then have a way to push/pull the TE straight while it dries or hardens. I don't believe in (or like) those flaps and elevators that are flat with rounded or square TE's. Ugly! Heavy! And UGLY! So, you can't just laminate them on a flat surface.  n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »
<Hi fellas ,
Thanks for the input ...
Methinks I will do the flaps with the veil , applied externally , with the thinner/dope method (less chances of a screw up) 
I appreciate all the help .
Rob Killick>

I think it was Brett who said there wasn't much difference between covering with silkspan or carbon veil strength wise, so I tried both and could not tell the difference. Actually I felt the medium silkspan was stiffer and easier to apply and lighter. Not scientific, just my opinion. So I have done both. The good part about carbon veil is that you can do curves like the cowl etc. much easier than using silkspan.....IMHO
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:28 PM »
Hi Ty,
Yeah, your right....I think I'm going to stick with the silkspan for 90% of my work and save the carbon veil for the hard to do curves. I also feel that the veil took more coats (weight) to fill.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »
You say you are using two sheets to make your flaps.  You might try using "Gorilla Glue" to laminate the two peices of balsa.  I have done that with 1/4 inch thick balsa to make profile fuselages.  It amazes me how stiff the profile fulselage becomes.  With "Gorilla Glue" you scrape off as much as you can before putting the peices together and clamping them.  It is easy to sand the excess that oozes out.  Make sure you have two flat plates to clamp between.  Once cured the peice can't be warped straight if you mess up.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
Hi Doc ,

Do you wet the balsa(slightly) before applying the glue ?

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »
When I have used the polyurethane glues like Gorilla glue, normal humidities work ok. Of course I'm in the midwest and we normally have reasonable humidities (except in the winter with -10F temps outside).

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 09:17:47 PM »
HI  Greg. One other thing is that the silkspan is easier to paint. The carbon fiber seems to leave little bitty tiny **&^% holes in the surface afrter painting.  It takes time but I do get them out. I may go back to silkspan.  Or even the very light fieberglass cloth. H^^

Ty, don't you think that silkspan (even applied dry) would be more likely to warp than CF? Can't have none o' that! n1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »
Hi Doc ,

Do you wet the balsa(slightly) before applying the glue ?

Rob Killick

Yes I take a damp rag and wipe just one sheet as the glue is applied to the other sheet as thin as I can get it.  It still oozes out in places.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
I use the veil a lot.  And I use silkspan a lot.  Preferences?  I think the CF veil applied with nitrate is a bit harder surface than the silkspan.  As far as strngth, I am not sure how much difference there really is.

I really believe more and more that Mr. Rabe's system of fiberglassing flaps is the strongest method.  More weight, to a degree, but much stiffer, especially with a CF torque tube sunk into the LE!

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 05:26:20 PM »
Guys, I'm going through this decision again for fuselages. I have a limited basis for comparison, since recent different methods I've used have gone into three different profile fuselage types - and one laminated landing gear set. However, what I have seen indicates that, as has been written on SSWF more than once, the matrix material - epoxy, dope, or whatever, is very important to the stiffness.

I have used silkspan - even the newer garbage - with success, to the extent that finish and stiffness are noticably better than bare wood. Also, with wood alone, laminations of two 1/4" sheets with some grain variance is significantly stiffer than a single 1/2" sheet for fuselages. From what I've read, I'm also convinced that fiberglass or CF are better for stiffness than silkspan.

However, on my last plane, I used butyrate dope to adhere light fiberglass, without feeling that I achieved the fiberglass advantage. The glass went on great with thinner application over an understrata of clear on the wood; conformation to compound curves was great. However, progressive dope shrinkage left surface weave pattern difficult to smooth, and the increased stiffness was disappointing. I think that dope elasticity allows too much movement of the fibers and that epoxy, used correctly, would have been superior and no heavier, since the dope seemed always to get underneath to some extent, "floating" the fabric. Proper, economical application of epoxy would have eliminated this problem, and I'm sure the harder epoxy would hold the fibers or threads more stationary. This would cut down on much more of the fuselage twist.

I think too that Ron Burn is correct over "yonder" in stating that the carbon fiber veil is better for stiffness in epoxy, because of the varied fiber orientations.

One thing I encountered with epoxy though - probably through ignorance or inexperience - was that epoxies seem to vary a lot in their properties. I used "Smooth 'n Easy" epoxy finishing (and 'laminating') resin to laminate up some carbon veil gear legs last year, but despite more robust than usual thickness, they came out spongy and useless; the poor P-Force looked drunk and would have dug up some serious turf with its prop. I can't believe all my lay-ups were mixed wrong, since they set up in reasonable time anyway. So I can't see this resin working well to stiffen a fuselage.

My present project will probably have CF veil and 30-minute, or perhaps West Systems epoxy rolled on. I may even tak it on and then roll a secondlayer into the veil and sand smooth.

I know the Al Rabe mentioned his own technique with epoxy resin a couple years ago on SSWF, and I think that a search will dig up some good information, INCLUDING some good responses on my previous queries on fuselage stiffness. Cap'n Curt posted a picture of his triangular trussed CF cloth technique, among others. Much of this seems relevant to flap stiffening, per the original post. Comments?

SK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here