« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 09:26:22 AM by Motorman »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Rib Spacing and Sheeting
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »
Depends on the grain of your sheeting. 1" to 1.5" I would think.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
I think it's B grain. Aren't most ribs about 2 1/2"?

Most sheeting is 3/32".
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
If you're sheeting a leading edge with 1/16th six Lb. balsa how close should the ribs be to prevent the starved horse look.

Thanks,
Motorman 8)
Maybe I am lucky because I have had healthy horses with a 2 1/2 spacing since I started using CA.   Ambroid and the whites shrunk as they dried.  I used to use 3/32 so I could sand out the ridges.  Now I use 1/16 cause I don't have to sand as much.  If the grain is right, you shouldn't get ridges but then I have no intentions of building a "front row" ship so I may just not see the distortion in the reflection.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:04:13 PM »
You didn't mention what you are putting over it. Plastic iron-on coverings don't seem to cause much "starved horse," but doped polyspan sure can.

Dave

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:46:36 PM »
Bahh . !

The . 077 Sheet is really 2 m m , out here its all metricated now . Besides being apalling growin & milling .
ANYWAY ,

Ive been using a piece of plastic downpipe , NON SHRINK Dop , Two Coats .

FIRST , Block Sand shhet outer face on bench . Then Dope . Then Block Sand Again . Then . . . Roll Onto 3 3/4 in ?? plastic tube .

A pile of rubber bands & a stick down each edge . Or Cardboard over it . LIKE MOULDING you get bleedy great whelts , from the rubber bands
IF YOUR NOT CAREFULL .

The Theory behind this , IS the curve is tighter than the rib curve , fitted . So it bulges OUT at between the ribs .  mw~ LL~ :## ;)

Actually - seems to stay pretty flat , unsunk , unsagged .

HOW MUCH of this is due to NOT having to do more than token sanding ( With a FOAM BLOCK - cut from a chilly bin - greengrocer type )
after fitting , which gets the thiness all out of whack , is anyboys guess . ( Not Really ) Can even get a 12 in stick with 220 - 320 paper ,
and it stays in contact along its length .

Used this on about for now . The one that wasnt didnt and was a paIN .

From ' off the stack ' you can put it on the tube , overnight . Or after a few days , sand it ON THE TUBE ( for support - curved )
so its pretty much ' flatted off ' to the curve - BEFORE fitting to the ribs . There ya Go .  H^^

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
Half ribs.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »
Walter, I will add my 2 cents worth here and that is probably about all it is worth.  When I am scratch building a wing I prefer using 3/32 thick ribs, spaced 2" apart and I use a little harder 1/16 balsa for the leading edge sheeting because I got tired of putting my thumb through the really soft stuff.  Using this method I never get the "starved horse" look.     I rarely use 3/32 for leading edge sheeting. 

Mike

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here