News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:09:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recess flap horn bearing slightly into wing trailing?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Recess flap horn bearing slightly into wing trailing?
« on: January 09, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
What's the thought on recessing the flap horn bearing slightly into the wing trailing edge so its centerline "lines up" with the flap hinge pin centerlines?  I don't see where on any plans I've looked at this is done?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Recess flap horn bearing slightly into wing trailing?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 12:17:09 PM »
Windy always did it, seems to work fine.
ama 72090

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 12:59:36 PM »
What's the thought on recessing the flap horn bearing slightly into the wing trailing edge so its centerline "lines up" with the flap hinge pin centerlines?  I don't see where on any plans I've looked at this is done?

That's the way I do "ALL" my models, including the R/C pattern ships I built years and years ago.

I wouldn't do it any other way. Check out my builds and you'll see this.

BTW. The hinge should also be recessed, 50% into the TE and 50% into the LE. Stab/Elevator also.
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »

I thought they were all like that - if not, something is going to be under stress. The only common exception is the Nobler, but, the horns themselves are not hard-mounted with bearings to the wing, so they are free to translate where they want.

Brett

Offline Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 01:30:28 PM »
I was wondering this also. Attached is a snippet of a picture of the flap control horn of Chris Cox Hellcat that was published in Stunt News 2018, issue 1. It appears that the flap control horn is NOT recessed.

Dennis

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
That's the way I do "ALL" my models, including the R/C pattern ships I built years and years ago.

I wouldn't do it any other way. Check out my builds and you'll see this.

BTW. The hinge should also be recessed, 50% into the TE and 50% into the LE. Stab/Elevator also.
I think that depends a lot on how you do hinges.  I use a very small aluminum tube glued to the flap/elevator between the hinges that has the common hinge wire run through it to make them removable.  That puts my hinge line 100% in the flap/elevator and in line with the flap horn.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
I was wondering this also. Attached is a snippet of a picture of the flap control horn of Chris Cox Hellcat that was published in Stunt News 2018, issue 1. It appears that the flap control horn is NOT recessed.

Chris will show pictures like that just to trick people.  Another example is the 1/64" plywood lining the bulkhead holes.  Why would anybody want to do that?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 01:51:13 PM »
Ken,

I told you we gotta talk.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 02:44:38 PM »

Dennis
  If it is not glued to the flap it doesn't need to be recessed as long as the center is on line with the hinges.  I use a brass tube in the flap/elevator and lubricate it so that the horn can move just a little.
IMHO, the only time you should ever glue a horn is with cloth hinges.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »

Dennis
I have been meaning to put one of these in my next ship for three ships now.  It is such a good idea that it should be mandatory.  Trim tabs are so ugly that they should be banned entirely. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »

It depends on where the hinge line ends up. If you put the hinge wire even with the TE, you have to recess it, if you let it stand off a bit, it needs to be offset differently, or not at all.

The hinge line and center of rotation of the horn have to line up, recessed or not, it's very basic.

Brett

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 05:45:38 PM »
All good stuff!  I'll recess them to align with the hinge "pins".
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 07:33:27 PM »
That's the way I'd do it Dave. Relieve the stress (If there is any)

Cheers, Jerry

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
Recess cut into wing and stab trailing edges!  I used a ball cutter in a Dremel tool clamped to the workbench.  Shimmed the stab and wing to get them on centerline.  Carefully moved the surfaces back and forth several times and had a just about a perfect recess.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 06:23:31 AM »
Recess cut into wing and stab trailing edges!  I used a ball cutter in a Dremel tool clamped to the workbench.  Shimmed the stab and wing to get them on centerline.  Carefully moved the surfaces back and forth several times and had a just about a perfect recess.

Nice work, neatest I've ever seen with recessing the control horn wire. Nice clean hinge slot also.

Now, the hinge slots must be recessed.

Wow! I wish my slots came out that clean, and I use a slot tool. n~  Are there any tricks we don't know about? Better tool?

CB

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 07:12:04 AM »
Avaiojet,
The trailing edge is laminated with a 1/32 balsa core that "skips" where the hinges are located.  The flaps, stab, and elevators are the same way.  My twin brother Crist does it this way.  I'm SURE he has posted somewhere on Stunt Hangar on how it's done.  PERFECT centered hinges EVERY time.  Here's a shot of the flap pieces before gluing together.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 07:55:20 AM »
Dave,

I see. This tells me a great deal. You're building contest grade models.  H^^

My guess is you've fine tuned construction and assembly methods in many areas.

I must admit, this level of building is a few octaves, many actually, above what I do. I get it done but cannot use words like superior.

Congratulations on you'r efforts, you're brother also. You're work is superior.

I might camera drone outside your shop window. Pick up some of your building skills.

CB

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 08:16:16 AM »
Thanks for the kudos!  Over 50 years of making balsa dust you kinda get a "standard" established even IF I fly RC most of the time!  H^^
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »
Nice job Grasshopper!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 12:29:29 PM »
Now who taught who??   LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 07:28:10 PM »
John,
The post just before your post should give a clue........
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here