News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rear firewall motor mount to fuse with JB Weld original  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
rear firewall motor mount to fuse with JB Weld original
« on: July 15, 2022, 07:05:46 PM »
Getting to the final stages of my electric Barnstormer and have to install the rear firewall motor mount. I was wondering it anyone has used original JB Weld to install 3/16" plywood motor mount?

With the rear mounted ECL setup there is a fairly strong pitching forces applied since both the motor can and prop are in front of the rear firewall mount. I know JB Weld is really strong and slow curing. Just curious it anyone has used it for this type of motor mount. Or is 2hr epoxy just as strong?

Best,   DennisT
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 07:50:55 PM by Dennis Toth »

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: rear firewall motor mount to fuse with JB Weld original
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 08:24:42 PM »
Getting to the final stages of my electric Barnstormer and have to install the rear firewall motor mount. I was wondering it anyone has used original JB Weld to install 3/16" plywood motor mount?

With the rear mounted ECL setup there is a fairly strong pitching forces applied since both the motor can and prop are in front of the rear firewall mount. I know JB Weld is really strong and slow curing. Just curious it anyone has used it for this type of motor mount. Or is 2hr epoxy just as strong?

Best,   DennisT
Put some screws in from the outside through the doublers.  You can use any glue you want.  Epoxy is fine.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 07:44:51 AM »
Put triangle stock in the corners and use any glue you like. I've flown many 60 size rc ships built that way and used Duco, Ambroid or CA. They had way more stress than any CL ship and never a problem. Otherwise, epoxy is a structural gap filler and the others aren't so use epoxy if the joints aren't tight.
Bill P.

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 01:32:49 PM »
When designing your mount, don't forget the gyroscopic effects.  Those strong pitching forces applied in a sharp turn result in a force to the left and right being applied at the motor mount.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here