News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rayette elevators  (Read 1515 times)

Online Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Rayette elevators
« on: May 22, 2023, 02:58:05 AM »
Looking at the plan for the Rayette profile, and comparing it to a photo of the model,
the elevator size on the plan view is about 3/4" narrower than the side view. A mistake
when inking the plan? The photo shows the elevator about the same width as the tailplane.
Does anyone know if that is correct.
Thanks

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Rayette elevators
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 03:10:18 PM »
I don't know what is "correct," but the plans for the Rayette (as available from the AMA plans service) seem to have an error or two as regards the horizontal stabilizer. It is shown much wider in plan view (which I would believe) than the side view (which I would disregard.) There were a few planes back in the day that had incredibly narrow HS (maybe the Cardinal Sinner?) but I wouldn't build one that way.

Something that might help you decide is to look at the historical article by Michael Schmitt and Allen Brickhous. (MA August 2011) They trace the design roots of the Eclipse--back thru the Rayette--and talk about what came from where. And it includes the Eclipse plans for your comparison.

The MA article mentions that "...the history of Bob and the family tree of the Sting Ray and Rayette was highlighted in the February, March, May, and June 2007 issues of Flying Models magazine." It might be helpful to track those down as well.

Good luck with your sleuthing!

Dave

Online Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 03:20:41 PM »
This photo shows what I was trying to confirm.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 05:50:30 PM »
From the photo it looks like the elevator tapers so they might have drawn the tip and did not include the  root of the elevator in the side drawing.

Best,   DennisT

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 09:25:12 PM »
Paul,

Looking at it again using the plan from the UK (belairdigital) as a reference, I now see exactly your issue. I was misled by the stab A/R, but proper scaling illustrates your point. (And using the brain late at night was not my best option....) The plan error looks to be the elevator, and is more than just the taper. I do note that the flap root chord scales out in the plan view to match the elevator root chord side view. Maybe it was a late night for the draftsman, too? Again, I would follow the plan view, not the side view. It looks like your picture....

Dave

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 06:02:50 AM »
Here's how I did mine:

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Online Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 08:30:49 PM »
Dennis
          Thanks for the pic.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here