News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question for Eric Rule - Re: Hardwood Veneer  (Read 682 times)

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Question for Eric Rule - Re: Hardwood Veneer
« on: July 08, 2020, 09:36:00 AM »
Eric,

About a year ago, or getting close to it, you mentioned exploring alternative building methods & materials, including the use of hardwood veneers (as used on drum kits) in place of traditional covering materials, in order to achieve a lightweight, inexpensive finish.  Have you made any progress on this? Did it prove just too heavy? Too hard to work with? Or is it a good solution, especially since a 4'x8' sheet with PSA paper backing can be had for less than $60?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, have you tried it on foam wings in place of balsa?

Steve

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Question for Eric Rule - Re: Hardwood Veneer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:36:17 AM »
Hi Steve;

Due to a number of things happening recently I have not had the time to proceed with this new projects. Once RSM was sold I had to take down the laser room I had built in my garage and remove all evidence of RSM from the garage. Of course my wife wanted to purchase new family room furniture so my old shop got used as a storage space for couches. Once I got those out of there I of course had to build a new work bench and create a new building area. Before that project got finished my right knee finally gave out and had to have the knee replaced (Feb 25 2020) and enter into the physiotherapy required. Darn it, I really hate when life messes up my plans!

At this point in time I am ready to finish setting up my new building area. I have two laser cuttings of my new Torreador design. One is done in the traditional balsa/plywood method and the second one is done in my new construction idea using lite ply, spruce stringers and the paper backed laminate. What I plan to do is to build both models, finish them and compare them as to overall weight. My hope is that by taking pictures of each stage of the build I can end up with something that can be published on line or in print as a building guide others can follow. As of today I have placed both methods on my scale and have determined that there is very little difference in the weight of the parts. Of course it is too soon to determine if after adding the glue, control systems, covering, paint & engines/tanks (in my case electric power system) there will be a measurable advantage using this new construction method. Time will tell if my "theory" works in real life.

I will let you know when I get the test project completed.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 12:27:15 PM »
I will keep an eye on this. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 06:22:05 PM »
Thanks for letting us know. Be careful with that new knee. You paid good money for it .

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X505F using Tapatalk

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here