News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prop clearance  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Vincent Judd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Prop clearance
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:51:49 PM »
What is the recommended prop clearance for flying off of grass?   E power.

Thanks

Vince

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Prop clearance
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:21 PM »
  Just enough!!! LL~ LL~ But seriously folks, You don't want landing gear too tall, because that can lend itself to a nose over.  If the grass is short enough and ground smooth enough, the same clearance as you run on pavement. Most move the landing gear forward a bit for grass, or have a separate landing gear for grass. It kind of depends on the site. I flew the SIG contest with all sorts of different airplanes and always used the same landing gear for each plane. Sometimes you "mow" a little grass in the process. Power plant type should not make a difference.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:15:21 PM »
Deepends on the Grass .

If youve got those Alloy Landin Gears , with bolt on wheels /

The size of the Tyres is CHANGEABLE . Anything less than 2 inch can tend to get caught . But Huge Tyres on little aeroplanes seem a bit odd .

3 inch , you feel the bump as the tailplane goes through the wake , in square bottoms .

Nylon Prop & Trike Gear , nominal 1/2 in clearance , ridgid gear . Wore 1/4 off on concrette - touch & go , in wind .( a bit of pressure )
Wore the L E Nice & Round ( opposite to picture , same shape tho ) . Next 20 or more flights on varying lenght mainly Kaikuia Grass .

Tips were buzzing through it , if the mower hadnt been out .

ANYWAY , If you can change your wheels , youve got a fix . Nicely Mown / Rolled and Team Race ' discus ' type ( Low Drag ) wheels ,
If grounds soft , theyll dig in , So Ballon Type better .

H^^

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »
Youd Think Somebody'd have a Mower , or Some Sheep . Or Something .  :-\

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:44:06 AM »
That is one great photo, Matt!  y1

Bob Hunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
What is the recommended prop clearance for flying off of grass?   E power.

Thanks

Vince

Hi Vince
I presume this is about your fabulous new E-Imitation?

Prop clearance is good, but more important see if you can make up a special grass gear that gets the wheels forward - the more the better.  From your post in the E-forum, it looks like you are using the KR system - which is designed to protect the system if it noses into the grass, but still avoiding that is a good thing! 

From your pix it looks like you have a normal CCW rotation prop.  I am using reverse pitch (CW rotation) props exclusively.  A couple years ago up at the Weak Signals contest in Detroit, I had a nose-down & prop strike in the grass, which simply loosened the prop & spinner which just fell off.  The airplane stopped, the motor continued at a now silent shaft run - same RPM just no current load.  Only thing missing was a laugh track...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
Hi Vince
I presume this is about your fabulous new E-Imitation?

Prop clearance is good, but more important see if you can make up a special grass gear that gets the wheels forward - the more the better.  From your post in the E-forum, it looks like you are using the KR system - which is designed to protect the system if it noses into the grass, but still avoiding that is a good thing! 

From your pix it looks like you have a normal CCW rotation prop.  I am using reverse pitch (CW rotation) props exclusively.  A couple years ago up at the Weak Signals contest in Detroit, I had a nose-down & prop strike in the grass, which simply loosened the prop & spinner which just fell off.  The airplane stopped, the motor continued at a now silent shaft run - same RPM just no current load.  Only thing missing was a laugh track...

Hi Dennis,

You are correct, it is for my Imitation.  I did make a couple of changes and we have flown the airplane successfully since.  I went to a smaller prop (11 X 5.5).  I managed to find a set of longer landing gear (not sure how because I got rid of a lot of "stuff" when we sold our house and downsized last year.  I also went with a set of 2 1/2" wheels vs. the 2" wheels that I had on there.  Those three changes gave me enough clearance to feel comfortable flying off of grass, and it turned out to be just fine with clearance.

I was going to try one of Keith's KR timers, but I already had one of Will's profile timers in my parts box, so on it went.  I've been using the FM-9 timers in all my electric planes and feel at home with them.  I have it in mind to purchase and try one of the KR timers for a future airplane. The FM-9 is working fine, no complaints. 

I feel that the 11" prop is too small for my combination.  My lap times are in the 5.4 range and the line tension, although probably adequate by most standards, could be a little stronger to suit me.  I'm only using about 50% of my TP 5S 2800 battery, so there is room for changes.  I think I'm going to put the 12 X 6 back on there and see how it feels.

This is probably as good a place as any to ask this question.  I'm now living in a small townhouse.  No work area, no workbench, no vise.  I have no way to bend 1/8" landing gear wire without killing myself.  Do any of our vendors offer custom made, pre-bent wing mounted landing gear wires?  Brodak probably does, but I get so frustrated searching for stuff on his website.  You type what you're looking for in the search window and it comes back with 35 pages of stuff you've never heard of.  Don't know what search engine he uses but it needs a new set of plugs or a tune up of some sort.

I'd like to be able to give someone the dimensions I need and just order a set.

Signing off, wife is yelling that we're under a tornado warning.  Oh boy.

Vince

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »
That is one great photo, Matt!  y1

Bob Hunt

Except for the buildings in the background, the field looks almost like the flying field for the F2B event at the 2014 World CL Championships before they brought in the hand pushed lawn (weed) mowers and the earth packer.  (The mowers were powered but still manually pushed.)

Keith

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:55 AM »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »
One Vice Grip is more than adequate , as long as its a REAL Vice Grip , not a ning fang wong copy ! .

A few old ? ( good clean straight ) boards to heave against . Start it going with your palm ,
get a good purchase and LEAN the wire against a secure ish board thats on something solid .

Goes Quite Easy , as theyve all the little cross machined GRIPS at the very tip mating face . . UNLIKE OTHERS .

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 05:36:52 PM »
My smaller Vice Grips, about 8inch, has smooth jaws.  It's from my Dad's work bench about 1952.  The two relatively new Chinese  10in. copies have serrations on the nose of the jaws.  The older Vice Grips is more precisely built with better alignment.  I don't know if current Vice Grips tm are still better built.
phil Cartier

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »
What is the recommended prop clearance for flying off of grass?

RIGHT . So THAT was the Question .  S?P

3/4 inch . Tho 1/2 is o.k. on bowling greens .  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here