News:

• June 17, 2024, 08:27:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pathfinder Landing Gear  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Tom Strom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Pathfinder Landing Gear
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
Ok, it has been a while since I sat down and actually butchered some balsa.  So, I thought I would build the Brodak Pathfinder KIT.  It is going very well so far.  Wing is done, stab is done, fuse is being worked on.  Came time to mount the front landing gear and found it was about 3/8" shorter than the plan shows it should be.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If I move it down to the right height, it is no longer securly mounted in the engine bearer.  It is now in the balsa and ply.  I do not have the resources to bend one the proper height, so that is out.  Has anyone made this aircraft a taildragger?  ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Pathfinder Landing Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
Tom,
Send a note to John Brodak, I am sure he will send you one of correct length.
Roger v.
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »
Thanks Roger.  I just fired off an e-mail to Brodaks. 

Tom

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »
Tom, it is possible to set the Pathfinder up as a Tail Dragger, but you lose the advantages the trike gear gives you during take offs and landings. For most, this can mean at least 10 to 30 points in the pattern. Of course if you don't fly in competition, that may not matter to you.

The changeover is pretty easy. Just swap sides on the gear, and add a tail wheel. You may need to bend the gear slightly further forward, depending on the surfaces you fly from. You also may find the plane tail heavy as it is designed for the weight of the nose wheel and gear, so watch for it. H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
Thanks John.  Some things to consider.  I plan on flying it in competition, but I am not in the advanced or expert range.  We fly profile as sportsman and expert here.  I just want to fly!!  We will see what Brodak says, then make a decision.  Thanks again.

Tom

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
Tom,

It would also help to shorten the tail moment 1inch. I found out it tracks better in the rounds. Plus it won`t be tail heavy. Tom I think if you had a good set of pliers you could bend the gear yourself. It`s made of 3/32 wire. If you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me at gordandelaney@yahoo.com   Hope this helps.

Gordy
Designer of the Pathfinder
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:34:00 PM by Gordan Delaney »

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
Hmmmm, a dissapearing post. I was pointing out that Gordan knows what it takes to get the most out of his design, hence the phrase "Gordan knows". I also pointed out that unless I'm going daft, I believe his e-mail is gordandelaney@yahoo.com.

Personally, I think Pathfinders look funny when set up as tail draggers, something just doesn't look right. Gordan's comment about the 3/32" dia nose gear wire being easy to tweak with a couple of pairs of pliers is spot on. Just tweak it forward a the bend, until the plane sits level on the wheels.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
Tom, if you need me to bend you a new LG, I'll do that for you. Let me know how I can help. 425-255-1887 (Tom's right shoulder has been recently operated on, due to injury...a Seattle Fireman, FYI)

Please don't make your P'finder a tail dragger. That will also shift the CG aft, a bad thing. Rod Claus built his as a taildragger, and the CG has been a serious problem. Cutting the fuselage shorter is a good plan...or moving the wing back, if it's not too late.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Strom

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »
Thanks Gordan and Steve.  Appreciate the reply and offers of help Steve.  I sent a note to Brodak, and they are sending me a replacement gear.  While I am waiting, I will have my son bend the gear leg I have, and see if we can get enough clearance.  Gordan, I replaced the plywood doublers from the kit with 1/8" ply., to help with making the nose stiff.  Can I still shorten the fuse 1" ?  I was just getting ready to put the carbon veil on the fuse, so now would be a good time to shorten it if still OK.  And I promise John and Steve, I will not make it a taildragger!!  Again, thanks for all the help.

Tom 

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
W
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
Tom,
I still would shorten the fuse 1 in.  1/8  ply is an over kill. We used that in the good ole days but I find it is not necessary with smoother running engines. Plus more weight. Not good. Let me know how it flies when you get to flying it.

Gordy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here