News:

• May 26, 2024, 09:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile Pathfinder  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • AMA 917877
Profile Pathfinder
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »
So, getting ready to hook up pushrods, and to get the correct throws, it seems I need to mount both pushrods from the outter most hole at the flap horn. Any thoughts as to this not being an acceptable solution? Thanks Jack Mulinix

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Profile Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:39 PM »
Jack,

Go with slower controls (longer arms on the horns) at first. You can always go shorter. I look forward to see the final product. It's a nice looking plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »
Thanks Randy, It's real close. The clear turned out ok. But what about mounting both rods from same piviot? any problems with doing that? Just stacking them W/ washer between?

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
Jack, what are you using for terminations on the pushrods? if your using ball links, then a bolt through both, with a lock nut works,, one ball link on either side of the horn arm.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "correct throws". The plans show the bellcrank to flap pushrod going to the top hole, and the flap to elevator pushrod attaching at the next hole down.

This should give the correct throws as specified by the designer. the correct throws are about 26-30 degrees on the flap, and 33 - 37 degrees on the elevator.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »
Hey Mark, Hows things on the dry side of the hill? So the plans show 22 flaps and 30 elevator. With the horns I have, it's like 1to1 going with the flap pushrod on top and elev. next hole down. Just thought that maybe with a little more throw might give something closer. Thanks Mark and John

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »
Well Jack, use the adjustment at the elevator horn to dial in the final ratio. For instance, if the flap connection point for the elevator pushrod is 1 inch from the pivot point, setting the elevator attachment point  at 3/4 inches should net about 25% more throw than the flap. H^^

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:05:50 AM »
Jack,

Depends on the geometry. Most planes you want to start with 1 to 1 (I defer to John and Gordan on the Pathfinder). I use slider horns on the elevator so that I can finely adjust this. For instance, the current PA plane I've been trimming is, right now, set to about 1.18 to 1 (flap to elevator). Maybe a bit closer but a touch more flap than elevator (hey, it's a pig and the extra flap seems to help). But that was done with elevator throw adjustment. I don't worry much about the degree of control surface movement at maximum deflection. It's more about ratios between handle spacing, bellcrank movement and control horn relationships and speed of controls (amount of movement at the handle it takes to go from lock to lock). I probably use half (or less) of the available control surface deflection in maneuvers.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »
Thanks Randy, that all makes sense. Just don't want to do something dumb at this stage. Earlier stages ok, but not now. Guess I need some longer LG now too. Bolted engine on with prop last night, a good inch short. Maybe by Auburn.  Jack

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »
Jack,
some time, pick up the handle on someone, or several someones, airplanes,, ( uh, ask first,, just sayin,,,) wiggle the handle and see how little movement the controls actually utilize,, its an eye opener,, I used to be of the " to much control throw is just right cause it will help me get out of trouble" school of thought, but I done got educated, now I have enough to do the squares and not much more
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 05:04:52 AM »
Jack,
I designed the pathfinder and I know for sure not to use 1 to 1 throws. The pathfinder doesn`t like it. If you set it up like the plans shows you`ll be very closel

Gordan Delaney
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:17:56 PM by Gordan Delaney »

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
Thanks for jumping in Gordon, you showed me the mounts for LG doors at vsc this year. I did it and they turned out good. Think I got the controls figured out.  I needed more elev. throw, moved the elev pushrod up on the flap horn and bam, they look good. I'd post pictures, but our computer took a dump, so I'm using the kids laptop. It kinda sucks. Thanks all    Jack

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
Which is why I said I'd defer to Gordan. It's his design.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
Jack,
Put the push rod from the bellcrank to the top hole at the flaps. Drop down too the next hole and run that push rod to the elevator,but make sure the elevator hole is move up. If the hole at the flap horn hole going to the elevator is at 1inch then the elevator horn will be at 3/4inch. If you put the push rod from the elevator to the top hole in the flap horn makes the controls more sensitive. NOT A GOOD IDEA. Hope this makes things more clear,and too much elevator movement.

Gordy

Offline Jack Mulinix

• Commander
  • AMA 917877
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
Thanks Gordon, don't want sensitive controls. I'll keep playing with it. Weighted it yesterday, a touch over 48 oz. thanks Jack                                                                                         

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here