News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Making cowls  (Read 7674 times)

Online Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Making cowls
« on: July 08, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
Is it just me or do most of you have problems getting that  cowl just right??  I have estimated that I have built about 57 full fuselage models since 1954.  Yesterday, I think I have finally made a cowl that fit almost perfectly the first go round. Usually I have to build two of them. The holes for the muffler bolts never line up, the hole for the needle valve seems to be off a tad and the hole for the head is always too far back.  Then I tend to hold it too tight and break part of it, until I get it fiber glassed or carbon fibered.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:09:25 AM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Making cowls
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
You should always make the various holes well undersized at first, so that when you do carefully open them up you know that they're wrong in spite of you doing your best.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »
Wheel Pants....heavy sigh......the bain of my existence!  actually, come to think of it, its anything I have to carve a right and left of. HB~>
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
This is more a rant of frustration of the day I have had out in the garage and got to wondering, how do "they" do it different? D>K

Oh, I understand that.

I haven't done nearly as many cowls as you have, but I have gotten good at plugging holes and moving them over a bit...
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:24:07 AM »
how do "they" do it different?

Cut lengths of wire or shapened dowl like skewers , & or shapen end of wire , and fitem into muffler & needle holes BEFORE tapeing the cowl exactly in place !

Then get in with the cranked nose needle nose plyers or a flat blade screwdriver behind the wire , And press it into the inside of the cowl.

LIKE a CENTER PUNCH Mark . !

Then press a new pin thru with pliers held square and true . Having it aligned and held square to the deck , or suchlike .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your cunning you just get a flashlight , Glare inside and use a new thin glasshead pin held square ( maybe with good small pliers = Or a PIN VICE , or in a small round craft knife
Or a Shapened 16 G ( 1/16 : dia. )  Wire in a modelling knife handle ) ive got a 1/16 drill bit in a round handle ( 5/16 od . ) Craft Knife .

A Pin you ' find the edges ' or on a good day , the center - off the hole . Central it will angle equally when wiggled . Cautiously . The Light Inside Helps .

Or Blind ' Walk ' the pin along a line estimated to intersect the Injun Case were Required .

A Sharpened pencil and ruler to mark the ' X ' .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Old Spare Engine Case ( AHEM . WE dont Use our GOOD Engine drilling & Sanding .  :-X) isnt a bad idea for such acupunctural work .

Another cunning trick is lengths of brass tube ( or Akumn. ) say from the K&S scrap packs , through for round acces holes , Epoxied in the cowl then filed flush .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EARLIER meant to say = Brass tube sleeves to match wire dia. to muffler . NVA holes etc helps sometimes .
Here , Glueing Em , U Use the well screwed down case to align the dowls to align the sleeves while the Glue Goes Of .

Course the Holes need to be central , or at least not offset to the point theyre holding side pressure on the ' finishing tube ' your fitting .
Sanding & or solvent wash before getting the glue out , and you have the solvent at hand to continualy remove the dratted epoxy from your fingers BEFORE you put Paw Prints From A to B .*

( " im not sure if polite old ladies realise This MEANS arsehole to breakfast , Which is why A to Z is Preferable in more ways than one )

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
I like the Fancher method to make cowls.  Start with a block of balsa and start whittling chips of wood away until you find a cowl.  (Ted's method is really a bit more sophisticated than that, but it works.)

Keith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 03:07:33 PM »
I haven't made that many, so I don't have much to offer.

When I made my first stunter cowl, I had this block of balsa all whittled and sanded to shape and decided nuts to this, I'll use this cowl to make a lady mold and vacuum bag carbon cloth in it.  I've made several cowls this way.  They still take a lot of fiddling.  My plan is to 3D print the next one.  It's not really modeling, but it's not for a Classic plane, so maybe it's OK.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 03:08:58 PM »
It seems to me that an model is actually three models.  The main plane, the cowl and those **&*^ whee pants.  LL~ LL~ LL~

Yup, and I've never successfully finished the third part.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 03:46:21 PM »
Trivial Pursuit
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 06:06:02 PM by George Mitchell »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »

Beautiful finished product George, but tell us about the journey getting it like that.   D>K

I know of maybe two guys that can visualize the finished product and just do it. Not me.  LL~

Here's my Stuka Tank Buster cowling. No blocks it's all built up.

I eyeball all holes for the NVA and the muffler. I make small holes first, this was mentioned. I use aluminum tubing for the hole.

There's more photos in the Build.

Charles

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:34:27 PM by Avaiojet »
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »
I have found starting with a spacer attached to the engine by the prop nut a good way to go.  Make a front "washer" and fit to the bulkhead, then join the sections together and fill the holes with wood around the engine.  Take it off and shape the inside then filler...paint...

Oh weight... er wait, this gets weighty...  Good thing the planes I have done this needed nose weight anyways.

Phil

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »
Trying to keep the Thread going, here's the cowling for the Mig-3.

Not your normal cowling.  n~

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 03:24:57 PM »
I agree with you Ty. Unless your a nat's
flyer your time is better spent flying. I
 spent too much time with routers and
dremels.

George

Cardinal
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:48:23 PM by George Mitchell »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 03:48:52 PM »
Charles, et al, the above cowls are fine examples of works of art. My self induced rant was "do others have times when the cowl is just a royal pain in the neck"?

Ty,

Thanks for the compliment, but all my cowlings have been, as you said, "A royal pain in the neck."

I never said my "eye-balling" worked.  LL~

Every NVA hole was moved and moved, then my little aluminum tube was filled.

Same with the holes for the muffler, they needed a bit more movement, a few times.

I even made notches for the NVA on a couple of models and they too were off and had to be fixed.

I look at it like this, balsa is easy to CA in place and fill and also easy to remove.

I don't get perplexed, well, a bit maybe, I just do what is needed to get the hole correct.

So far never once at the first shot yet.  n~

Thanks again for the kind remarks, it's appreciated.

Charles

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »
I really like the way the new stunters are done, with no cowl, just the opening to insert the motor/tank.  I'm contemplating doing that on a Nobler I am going to strip, repair and recover.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »
I really like the way the new stunters are done, with no cowl, just the opening to insert the motor/tank.  I'm contemplating doing that on a Nobler I am going to strip, repair and recover.

Glenn,

Will you do a Build?

Charles

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 07:47:38 PM »
Hi Charles.  I guess that would depend if anyone wants to see yet another Nobler ARF being bashed! LOL  And of course, if I ever get around to it.  I'll probably get you to do some of those amazing graphics you do. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »
Hi Charles.  I guess that would depend if anyone wants to see yet another Nobler ARF being bashed! LOL  And of course, if I ever get around to it.  I'll probably get you to do some of those amazing graphics you do. H^^

Glenn,

If you're going to bash a Nobler just make sure when you're done, it doesn't look like a Nobler.

Do the Build.

Charles

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
I like my cowls.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 06:20:12 AM »
Here's the cowling I made for the Super Ringmaster to P-40 bash.

Magnets hold it on.

Doesn't look anything like a Nobler.

Charles

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
and all this time, I thought it was just me.
To make anything truly difficult....you must first put a cowling around it

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
Ty I am with you on this one.  I hate the things and usually end up butchering the balsa so bad I have to start over .  This is why I have always liked OTStunt planes.  It never bothered me to have an engine mounted straight up and in plain view.  I don't have the patience to carve the things.

Mike

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Well, Ken, I built a bunch of speed models and 4 proto speed models. The cowls were all fabricated from bits of balsa, basswood and 1/64" plywood. Not that difficult. I'd NEVER start from a block of wood. That's why glue was invented, plus you can then get the grain going the right direction, to make it easier, vs. more difficult.  While assembling the cowl, get it to where it's bolted on, then drill through the engine for muffler bolt holes and NV hole. Plug the opposite side if you must. Then continue sanding it to shape. Safer than carving, for both parties involved.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline George Mitchell

• Ensign
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
Ty, I tack glue the cowl to the fuselage and
get the general outside shape. Then pop  
the cowl off and hollow the inside to about
3/16 all around. Next I install the engine
 and use pins to find the holes and openings,
 and open them a little at a time
and keep checking.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
Mount the engine.

Get a long piece of card stock and tape it to the fuselage someplace behind the back of the cowling. Mark the card stock and fuselage so you have register lines. You will need them when you put the card stock back.

With just the engine in place, press the card stock against the engine. You can trace the exhaust area and mark the needle valve hole.

Remove the card stock and place it someplace where you will remember where it is. I forget a lot.  n~

Attach the cowling. Have at it, sand, shape whatever.

At any time you can put the card stock template back in the exact same place. You made register marks, remember.

Lay the template against the cowling and low and behold, your tracings are exactly correct.

I did this on the Loser/Mig-3. I might have on the Stuka?

Good luck,

Charles

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 05:29:47 PM »
Plan ahead, Ty! Following a logical sequence is important. If you need to drill a hole for the NV, take the spraybar out of the engine, cut a chunk out of the far side and drill. Then glue the chunk back in. For the muffler holes, cut the exhaust port side out to fit the muffler first, then drill through the engine from that side. You might even think about splitting the cowl down the center line and drill through both directions to help locate the muffler flange cutout off the pilot holes. You may need to buy some "aircraft drills", which are long of shank, but with a short twisty part. A few sizes should do it, like 1/8 & 5/32.  

Planning ahead is crucial, as is using the correct tools. I'm a big believer in using sandpaper instead of cutting tools. Tools made from slabs of balsa, spruce, pine and dowels with coarse grades of sandpaper will be safer for both you and the cowl. I learned this from carving Wakefield (F1B) propellers. "Oooops, one chip too many." I dug through a bushel pile of balsa chips to find THAT chip, fitted it back in place and put a few drops of thin CA on it. Saved the blade and the mistake completely disappeared. Later, so did that Wakefield, of course!   y1 Steve  
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline BYU

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 09:07:05 PM »
Hmmmm

If I understand the problem correctly you have no problem making cowls, just making the various cutouts to match your Motor.

The method I use is the following which works equally well for balsa or composite cowls in my experience.

1 after final shaping of the cowl (originally spot glued in place) on the fuselage, break it free from its spot bonds and set it to one side / hollow as needed.

2 temporarily bolt the engine in position.

3 obtain some heavy paper or light foldable card sheet and some masking tape.

4 starting with the cylinder head, cut a hole that matches the head size ( in olden times  this was a round shape) in a sheet of the heavy paper and slide the paper over the cylinder head to ensure it fits well.

5 now whilst the sheet of paper is still in place over the top of the head, tape the end of the sheet of paper to the fuselage.

6 slide the paper off the head, being careful not to unseal the paper from its tape held position on the fuselage and fold the sheet back so you can..

7 unbolt the engine (if required) and refit the cowl.

8 now... fold the paper back into the same position and mark the cylinder head hole on the cowl.

9 do this lengthy and arduous process for all remaining holes/cutouts

10 cut holes slightly undersize following the marks you have made.

11 gently file these openings until perfect (relative term)

Alternative - a more accurate (if slightly more expensive process);

Use a 3d scanner (75-$1500) and 3D printer ($500-$75,000), make a female rubber mold ($100 ish) and make multiple carbon glass versions with cutouts already in place.

"You're welcome"  H^^

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:35:12 PM by Bobs your Uncle »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here