News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Profile offset  (Read 1603 times)

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Profile offset
« on: February 12, 2022, 12:11:30 AM »
Looking for input on engine offset. I知 building a Twister and wondering about engine/rudder offset. Is it needed? The plane has a nose ring and if I need offset can I get the same effect by putting it in the rudder instead of having the funky engine offset look?

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Profile offset
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 01:03:20 AM »
J'Motta,

I have two Twisters--both a bit kit bashed--and ended up with 2 degrees thrustline offset on both of them. With only 1-3 degrees of offset, it does not look funky to me. Even on a full fuse job with a closely fit cowling, you might have trouble casually seeing offset that small.

That said, you need to consider three trim adjustments in aggregate: leadout position, rudder offset, and engine offset. Probably should include a couple more, as explained below. But you want the plane to fly as close to tangent as possible with adequate line tension. That will result in the fewest secondary trim issues.

Since line tension also depends on speed, line length and weight you can see that a bunch of different things are involved. Finally, what one guy thinks is adequate line tension for his style of flying and weather conditions can vary a lot from the next guy. That is why you see people changing all of these parameters to find what works best for them.

On my two Twisters, I'm happy with the 2 degrees of outthrust, a bit of rudder on one, but none on the other, and lines about 62 feet (handle to centerline). Both use OS .46LA's. I tend to fly a bit faster as a bit more line tension gives me more confidence. The Twister with no rudder offset is significantly lighter than the one with offset.

The only place I would agonize over engine offset is with a full fuse job with a close spinner fit. On a profile, you can try whatever you want with no drama.

I might try a Twister without rudder offset, but I'd expect to have to cut into it to add some after a bit of testing. Maybe I'd get away without it, but....

Good luck with yours!

Dave

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 03:25:18 AM »
 J, i have 4 twisters i'm flying right now. I have OS 46la's on 3 of them and one with an OS 40la. I dont have any offset on any of the engines and all the rudders are in line with the fuse. Only one of the Twisters was built stock. One is Fancherized, two have different length fuselages. Two have wider wing chords. All fly the pattern with no issues and stay tight on the lines thru out the pattern.....Gene

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 09:01:42 AM »
Thanks for the response. My build right now has 1 degree engine offset with no tail offset but am at the point where I can change it. Actually it would be easier to add more engine offset  than take it out. Do you think I知 good the way it is? Appreciate the valuable information.
                      Joe

Offline gene poremba

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 09:34:02 AM »
Since you allready put in 1 degree of engine offset, just leave it there. I dont see it causing any issues.....gene

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 09:59:51 AM »
I'd suggest putting in one degree of engine offset, then if you're curious, try adjusting that when you're trimming.

The advice that I've heard repeatedly, and that I just follow, is to install the fin/rudder with as close to zero offset as you can, but if you're going to screw it up, make it yaw to the outside.  This has served me well.

There are some slight advantages to be had from making the rudder ground adjustable, but (says the guy who took two years to build a Twister) that's getting too complicated for a profile.  I wouldn't suggest going there until you're flying Advanced and contemplating a jump to Expert, and if you subscribe to the Paul Walker school of trimming (meaning: trim obsessively, with the objective to make the plane fly itself as much as possible).  At that point, you should be building and flying full-fuselage planes.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »
Looking for input on engine offset. I知 building a Twister and wondering about engine/rudder offset. Is it needed? The plane has a nose ring and if I need offset can I get the same effect by putting it in the rudder instead of having the funky engine offset look?

Motor offset and rudder offset are two different adjustments. I would here suggest that you check out an article in an old Stunt News that the late, great Bob Whitely wrote titles "Things That Always Work"  on the July/August 1998 STUNT NEWS. It is basically the built in and bench added trim adjustments he made to every model and since practicing them I fully agree with. For IC powerplants and right handed electric it consists of one degree down thrust and one degree right thrust. These adjustments are to counter torque and effects from prop pitch. The article explains it in much more detail. The other adjustment is one degree positive incidence in the stabilizer. The rudder can be built adjustable and installed in line with the center line so it's there to be easily adjusted later. I follow this with every model I build and even models I acquire or rescue I retrofit these adjustments into them id at all possible. The article I'm talking about is again in the July/August STUNT NEWS.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 03:37:39 PM »
My Twister was electric and Fancherized.  2 degrees offset 1 degree down thrust and 1/8" rudder offset.  IMHO motor offset is more effective than rudder, especially if it is a tall rudder.  However, effective means that which will not be named - (YAW shhh) so go gently.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 03:40:05 PM »
"Things That Always Work"  on the July/August 1998 STUNT NEWS
THANK YOU DAN!  I have been asking where this article was since it was first brought up a while back!

Again - Thank You - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »
THANK YOU DAN!  I have been asking where this article was since it was first brought up a while back!

Again - Thank You - Ken

And I answered you over on the changing stab height thread, rather, Keith Trostle did, and then I did again on the SV-11 Incidence check thread!   Want me to read it to you!!!??? LL~ LL~ n~ n~
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 06:18:40 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 06:26:10 PM »
   And I answered you over on the changing stab height thread, rather, Keith Trostle did, and then I did again on the SV-11 Incidence check thread!   ant me to read it to you!!!??? LL~ LL~ n~ n~
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
I completely missed those posts.  My apologies to both y1

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline J Motta

• 22 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 10:14:49 AM »
We値l I appreciate the feedback. Right now the build is set up with 1 degree offset and about 1 degree down thrust. I think I値l leave it at that and continue the build. Thanks again.
Joe

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 10:40:07 AM »
What you're doing with engine offset is basically gluing the wing in the fuselage cocked. So, anything you can do with engine offset you can do much easier with the lead out slider.

Motorman 8)
I respectfully disagree if you are one of those crazy people like myself that prefers their leadouts as far forward as possible and still keep the plane tangent.  Engine/Motor offset and rudder let you do that.  It is a style thing, and I am sure others disagree.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 12:43:50 AM »
JM,

Some (theoretical?) basics?

Our models should have least drag when they fly as nearly tangent to the flight circle as possible. But where do we want that tangent point to be? And to what?

Simplest, if you think about it, would be to put the tangent point at the CG and on the long axis of the fuselage, no? Our models fly at the edge of a circle. A straight fuselage axis, tangent at the CG, already has some out-thrust angle (at usual line lengths, about 1ー or less. A straight fin/rudder (usually about twice a far aft of CG as the prop is forward of it) has about twice that: maybe 1.5ー or so. This is not large enough to really worry about. It seems to me, and has worked on all my recent models, to - at most - have the fin/rudder mounted basically on the axis but airfoiled with the curve ONLY on the inboard face. IOW, a slight lifting airfoil tending to cause nose-out.

If everything is just about right, IMHO the only reason for more engine offset on a profile is if everything goes slack, it will try to steer the model back out to full length of the lines. It is easy on a profile to slip a washer under the front mounting lugs, or a degree shim under them all.

Tangency can be created with adjustable leadout guides, which point the line pull's trail angle to the CG. If that's off, the pull force will try to yaw the model to make it line up. Complicates trimming... Also, this varies slightly with changes to the CG location.

Just some musings trying to see some fundamentals before the truly adept (in science, math, building, trimming and flying) share with us the fine details that they find useful, and might baffle many of us mere mortals...

/LOU VD~
\BEST\LOU

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 01:21:39 PM »
It's baffling to me, but my Ringmaster sure flew better after the vertical stabilizer with rudder offset broke off. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 02:42:15 PM »
What you're doing with engine offset is basically gluing the wing in the fuselage cocked. So, anything you can do with engine offset you can do much easier with the lead out slider.

No.   Offsetting the thrust vector of the engine is a very fundamentally different issue than adjusting the leadouts, it has multiple effects (at least, changing the relationship of the thrust vector WRT the CG, and changing the direction the propwash strikes the airplane) that are completely different from leadout sweep, and you certainly can't substitute one for the other.

You cannot set the yaw angle with the leadout position, or at least, you shouldn't. You set the yaw angle with the rudder and to a very small extent, the engine offset. Anything else,  and you tend to create a mismatch between the aerodynamics and the line sweep effects, and that almost always leads to wild yaw motion in the maneuvers. Basically, you don't want to be applying any static torque to the airplane with the leadouts, and use it for the very least of dynamic stability you can manage.

Brett

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 02:51:30 PM »
It's baffling to me, but my Ringmaster sure flew better after the vertical stabilizer with rudder offset broke off.

Ditto. All of my rescued Ringmasters have the rudders cut off and put back straight.

Type at you  later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 02:59:29 PM »
      Ditto. All of my rescued Ringmasters have the rudders cut off and put back straight.

Type at you  later,
  Dan McEntee

Of course - because you are reducing the effect of the leadouts "fighting" the rudder offset. It works even better on the green box Nobler.

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2022, 06:05:14 PM »
I guess you found out the hard way.  The ringmaster can be hard to set up once it's built.  Another approach, besides whacking it off,  I've seen a number of people take off on Walt Williamson's character models built around the Ringmaster.  They were heavier and had lots of side area.  The flyers usually don't fly them in gusty winds or downwind if possible.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here