News:

• May 26, 2024, 07:35:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Polyspan  (Read 876 times)

Mike Griffin

• Trade Count: (0)
Polyspan
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »
When using polyspan for your covering and after the final doping, is a primer recommended before painting?

Mike

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Polyspan
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:36:32 AM »
I didn't even use a filler other than many coats of clear dope on two I finished and they both came out great.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »
Like Bob, said, Polyspan fills easily.  If you're shooting for as 20 pointer, then use the primer, if you just want it to look great, dope will fill it.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Treace

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • 1979 600 Aerostar N79JT
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
When using polyspan for your covering and after the final doping, is a primer recommended before painting?

Mike
Mike, I am no expert at this, as I have only used polyspan once on my Cardinal. So, I had the same questions as you. I used nitrate to attach and it went on great, but I was caught a bit by the difficultly of pulling around corners or curves, like the wing tip. But after a while I got it OK. It states in the instructions that polyspan doesn't go around corners very well, they are correct. I used a little heat from hair dryer to shrink, be careful this stuff melts really quick and is kind of difficult to patch.
I only used butyrate over bays to seal. And only used my main color white, no primer. I think it turned out pretty good. Hope this helps.
Jim
Jim Treace
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL &
Paris, TN
AMA 855251 "Too soon we grow old...Too late we grow wise"

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »
Thanks Bob, Bill and Jim.  Really great looking plane Jim

Mike

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:41:42 PM »
I have recently gone back to a dope finish and have been using poly span. I use nitrate dope and don't worry about it not being fuel proof as the color coats are that. I have been shooting primer on mine and then sanding with 320 wet. A tedious process and you have to be very careful not to sand through. From now on when I build a wing alot of prep work will go into EVERY part that the covering touches. No sharp edges. I have not had any problem covering the wing in one piece, tips included. It is a bit more work but worth it. When I have sanded through and have had to patch I use silkspan. I tear the patch, never cut with scissors. Makes it easy to sand and almost disappears.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here