News:

• April 23, 2024, 08:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blue Angel Brazilian 1977 F2B classic back  (Read 599 times)

Offline fred cesquim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
Blue Angel Brazilian 1977 F2B classic back
« on: January 29, 2024, 07:20:20 AM »
back in 1985 when i started my model airplane career in Brazil there was a model called Blue Angel, by famous Casa Aerobrás on magazine ads and hanging at the shop ceiling along other immaculate models. This one caught my eyes and since then i was always dreaming of having one, as we didnīt had the luxury of imported stuff in Brazil up to 1990īs, this model was the goal for competition for the "mortals". Yes, real competitors had Stilettos, Noblers, Genesis and the "big" Cheyenne 2000. All of them out of most modellerīs league due to price, availability or building skills.
When i was "ready" to build one, the kit was withdrawn from production and kits reminded elusive to find, probably due to the low nubmbers of kits sold.
The project was a brainchild of famous modeller Alfredo De Almeida ( now at his 90īs ) and he developed the model for his competition goals early 70īs based on the Continental. After sucessful flights and competitions Casa Aerobras decided to kit the model in 1977. To simplify things the cowl and turtledeck where made of heavy vac formed ABS and the engine of choice was the ubiquituous FOX 35.
On a wave of nostalgia i approached Aerotech Models (brazilian kit cutter) and told them about the model heritage and how much modellers dreamed to have one, that was enough for them to replicate the model, but using my knowleadge on modern building technics to laser cut a better and lighter version yet preserving the original outline.
hereīs the prototype building review of my model.
hope you enjoy the ride.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
Re: Blue Angel Brazilian 1977 F2B classic back
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 07:22:55 AM »
kit was cut with excellent equatorian balsa, and local ply, unfortunately imported ply is unavailable in brazil right now.
i have made provisions for a building on jigs that need no plans to build over, just as a parts locator.
all self aligning.

Online Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2024, 12:53:53 PM »
Fred,

I have an odd question for you.  I met Bene back in 1984 at the Pan American Championship held in Santiago de Chile. At the time I believe that he was flying the original version of the Cheyenne and I have been eyeing the kit made by Hangar del Pozo for the Cheyenne 2000.  I am thinking that I would like to build one.  Any idea of how those designs might compare against a modern design?  It seems to me that you have a built a mix of both.

Thanks!

Bill

P.D. As usual, looking forward to your build thread.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 01:52:52 PM »
Fred,

I have an odd question for you.  I met Bene back in 1984 at the Pan American Championship held in Santiago de Chile. At the time I believe that he was flying the original version of the Cheyenne and I have been eyeing the kit made by Hangar del Pozo for the Cheyenne 2000.  I am thinking that I would like to build one.  Any idea of how those designs might compare against a modern design?  It seems to me that you have a built a mix of both.

Thanks!

Bill

P.D. As usual, looking forward to your build thread.
Hello Bill, thanks for the comments!
Del pozzo kit seems a good option as itīs laser cut, but make sure to talk to him to use better equatorian balsa, some of his kits may use cheap balsa and that would be  a problem. i am sure he will make adjusts to cut a great kit if requested.
as for the design compared to modern planes, all i can say is that the cheyenne 2000 is one of my fave airplanes ever, i really love the looks and plan to build one in the near future. it was designed early 80īs and most likely uses the Stiletto 660 numbers/airfoil. i never checked but thatīs what people says here. With that in mind you can expect a great performance but maybe a little outdated, but still a very capable airplane. I am sure the Cheyenne is more plane than i can benefit from this time.
i would encourage you to go for one!
regards from Brazil
PS. Love country of yours! been there some 10 years ago and plan to return!

Online Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 05:05:55 PM »
Fred,

Thank you. I actually participated in the event representing Peru; I had just graduated from high school at the time.  Did O.K., did not end up last.  Bene won and once back in Lima we were trying to imitate his flying style.  He flew pretty low. The Peruvian team consisted of 2 Stilettos powered by ST 46s and a Gieseke Nobler powered by a ST 35 (mine).  At any rate, we spent quite a bit of time admiring the Cheyenne and I always thought that it would be nice to have one.  Skill wise, the plane is probably more capable than I am. My mom was a gringa as they say so that is how I ended up in the US.

Thanks,

Bill
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 04:37:26 AM by Bill Schluckbier »

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 04:08:03 AM »
Fred,

Thank you. I actually participated in the event representing Peru; I had just graduated from high school at the time.  Did O.K., did not end up last.  Bene won and once back in Lima we were trying to imitate his flying style.  He flew pretty low. The Peruvian team consisted of 2 Stilettos powered by ST 46s and a Gieseke Nobler powered by a ST 35 (mine).  At any rate, we spent quite a bit of time admiring the Cheyenne and I always thought that it would be nice to have one.  Skill wise, the plane is probably more capable than I am. My mom was a gringa as they say so I ended up in the US.

Thanks,

Bill
great story Bill! this was a year before i started in cl! back then you had one of the best models/engines available!
still see the cheyenne flying great at local competitions, unfortunately here in brazil nobody wantīs to build anymore, i am one of a half dozen

Online Bill Schluckbier

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2024, 04:38:14 AM »
Thank you for including the plans, they give me something to think about.

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2024, 02:47:58 PM »
wing have 2 jig spars to align the ribs interlocking with the rub supports.
jig spars are left and right so you automatically space ribs and demands no plans
i have run a large tape on the table and CAed the spar to it, then CA the ribs to the slots. no need for pins
you can even use the kitchen table if you feel adventurous with your wife

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here