News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:03:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Painting my Shoestring  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Nick Petrou

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Painting my Shoestring
« on: May 30, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
Hello All,
Firstly thank you for allowing me to be part of this magnificent hobby, I've only just started , so I have no experience in painting a balsa plane. My question is how do I achieve a beautiful finish on a profile Shoestring made of solid balsa. I understand that sanding is where the magic happens, what is the steps in from after sanding to final coat. Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Painting my Shoestring
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 03:57:27 PM »
First off take time and go to the finish and painting section and start reading.  There are many ways to get a decent finish.  In that section you will see I don't use dope any more. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »
Welcome Nick,
there are many and varied ways to finish your new pride and joy.

As the Doc said the first step is to heck out the Paint and Finish section on the Home Page. Have a look at the, "A Few Thoughts on Finishing", post to start with.

Also, check out Stunthanger Video and look at the play lists. Robert gets a fantastic finish on his models.

All the best
Craig

AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Nick Petrou

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 04:47:30 PM »
Thank you to all for the advice. Much appreciated 👍

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »
  Hi Nick;
   If you can find an older SIG catalog, there was always a section on how to finish a model in dope. That would be a good primer for you  as it sounds like you are building a profile model of some sort that is solid balsa. You might want to check the SIG web site and see if they have those pages some where, as I think I remember seeing them at one time. Add to that what you can find to read in the finishing section. You have the right idea in the basics, in that sanding plats a big part. Sanding correctly is the key. Check out any Windy Urtknowski  videos that you can find in YouTube on finishing in dope. There is a small ground of us working to upload as many of Windy's videos as possible, and one of those that is in the early mix is the one specifically on finishing in dope. Kevin King of the list here, who lives in Canada has been doing a lot of work on these and has a few of the videos post on the open forum. Those should lead you to the YouTube channel that he is building from a collection of tapes that have been and are being converted from VHS to digital. The short story is, you need to learn what types and grits of paper to use, and the types of tools to use them on. Things can still be dome the old fashioned and and there are newer methods being developed using mire modern materials. But the basics are the same. There is no such thing and shine in a can! It is only the result of proper application of some elbow grease!
  Welcome to the group!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here