News:

• May 17, 2024, 04:48:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paint Spraying Equipment  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paint Spraying Equipment
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:20:42 AM »
I am currently reassesing my spray equipment for size and versatility. Down size would be the direction. I currently have a Sears 5 HP piston compressor 220V. Since we have moved and downsized I am not excited about adding a 220 V line or for that matter a large compressor thumping away and producing excess air capacity. I have noticed there are a lot of airbrush packages out there with some pretty good sized compreessors that are much quiter. One caveat is that I would like to continue to utilze my HVLP gun for spraying large areas such as clearing an entire airplane unless there is a smaller HVLP unit. I will continue to use dope but have not ever considered the automotive stuff. Let me know what some of you folks use.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Paint Spraying Equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:22:06 AM »
Wayne,
just a thought, a great number of 220 volt shop equiopment can be rewired to allow use at 120V. You might pursue that as a thought. FWIW Make sure that whatever compressor you end up with has sufficient CFM to support your Gun. IO would stay away from samller "airbrush" compressors unless you only plan on using an airbrush, I dont beleive most of them will support even a detail sized HVLP
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline PaulBowman

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »
Mark, can you recomend a spray gun ? something good but not super expensive.
Also do you keep a separate gun only for clear ?

Kim Doherty

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »
Wayne,

I have been using a "True HVLP" system (turbine powered) for about 12 years. You do not need a compressor, the overspray is minimal, and it takes up almost no space. The quality is quite good. I live in a condo and paint on my balcony. I have never had noise complaints and there is little mess. Check out these links.

http://www.fujispray.com/

http://www.lemmer.com/hvlp.htm

Kim.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
Boy would sure like to have that compressor. When I bought mine I was living in a rented duplex and 3 HP was the biggest thing I could get that would run on 110. Now I have 220 everywhere and can't afford to buy a larger compressor.

I don't personally have one but several have raved about how well the Harbor Freight gravity feed spray guns work. Some are advertised as HVLP but they really aren't. Any half way diecent 2-3 HP compressor will run the things and from everything I have read and the finishes I have seen they do a good job with both dope and auto finishes.

Offline Lee Thiel

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »
I have a 2 or 3 hp with a 20 gallon tank and it seems to work fine for painting the planes. I use a detail gun that really don't us much volume.  I use mostly auto paints and clear coats. I cut the clear alot to keep the weight down.
Lee TGD 
AMA791773CD

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 08:37:44 PM »
I just have a little Sears job. Seems to work fine though it's not particularly quiet. Use with a Bink HVLP Touchup gun for color and clear and a POS Harbor Freight gun for primer. They seem to work well with the little Sears job.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Patrick Rowan

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 10:38:38 PM »
Hi Wayne,

You have the perfect size compressor.

I have a Sears 3 Hp, 15 Gal. tank. It cycles so often I have to take breaks & let it catch up. If I try to keep spraying the pressure drops & the paint comes out in blobs.

Snap a 220 breaker in your box & run the wire where you need it.

I look forward to flying with you again this summer.

Patrick
Fly Stunt
Poland, Ohio

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 04:51:14 AM »
Well, thanks everybody for the input. I guess that I will run the 220V line and stay with what I have. Makes sense and the price is right.
Thanks
Wayne.

PS: Pat, see you when the flakes stop falling.
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here