News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:14:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One way to fix a "bad" warp on a profile  (Read 958 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
One way to fix a "bad" warp on a profile
« on: June 29, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »
 this fuselage just did not react to steam, water, force, etc.  So in desperation I make a light 1/8" deep, vertical cut with a fine tooth razor saw. Then let it sit, very wet, for two days on a fulcrum with heavy weights fore and aft. Then 10-25 second gap filler ACC was put into the cut.  Most of the warp came out. So I made a second cut just aft of the first one, slightly deeper and did the same thing. This fuselage is now dead straight and I have it in clear, ready for some carbon veil.  H^^
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:07:50 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: One way to fix a "bad" warp on a profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 03:44:01 AM »
In desperation I went after a warp in the trailing edge of a recent project. Wing built straight and warped after removal from the jig/dead flat aluminum building surface. I jigged wing opposite to the warp, cut no.11 grooves span wise in the trailing edge and dribbled in thin CA. Repeating the process a few times straightened things out.  Wing covered in monokote looks o.k. Friends have gone after warps wiping the offending balsa with diluted ammonia and jigging opposite the warp until dry. This works as well. I would dribble a coat of thin CA along area to stabilize. We are not talking about first row models here.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: One way to fix a "bad" warp on a profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »
Hi Guys,

I use a similar approach to straighten shaped LE stock.  I've been called crazy, but it works, and works really, really well.  So good that you cannot see where the repairs were made.  I use the thinnest wide blade razor saw from X-acto and cut  kerfs in the stock on the edge that is convex.  I start in the middle of the warp and work out on each side of the first cut until it is straight.  A tiny bit of CA wicked into each slot as I go to hold it.  I put this side of the piece on the outboard, and the bottom, if I can. 

My Giant Stuntmaster wing was done this way and it has stayed straight for many years.  it had about 3/4' of and inch warp to start with!  Weight gain was not really measureable.

Of course, this is not the excepted manner of fixing things, I understand, but it works for me.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here