blank
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:47:03 AM by Motorman »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Nylon Straps For Wire Landing Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
I double up on the nylon straps on profiles if I can still get to them.  Otherwise I wire the gear in place with epoxy glue if the gear is covered by a cheek cowl. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:15:57 PM »
MM,

I have broken a few of the plastic straps in rough landings on racing planes. (Clown, Sport Goodyear)  Never on a stunter. If you use them, you could also add some insurance by taking a wrap or two of malleable wire (stainless steel safety wire would be great) around both legs just below the fuselage. And don't forget to include a hard maple block or aluminum plug in the fuselage where the wires are inserted. More than one way wire gear can fail....

I always use two sets, but it's the bottom one that takes almost all the load and will break first. The upper one is there just to "get you home."

I couldn't bring myself to bury plastic clips on a Cardinal I built. So I made a cutout for the gear leg and the clip thru the outboard tripler.

Good luck with your project!

Dave

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:03:14 AM »
Hi Mororman, on my twister I used the supplied plastic straps but I used long skinny bolts, not the wood screws, to attach them. I also used two straps on each side, one was not enough.

Rich

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 02:05:24 PM »
    Sounds like you are trying to get it to withstand a crash in stead of landing in grass! All I have ever done with a Twister is double up the tubing in the fuselage that the landing gear plugs into. It's 5/32" to accept a 1/8" music wire, so you telescope a length of 3/16" over that and you have a double wall thickness that I have never seen broken and is easy to do. You don't need a lathe to make a special part. One pair of clips properly installed with two 4-40 bolts and lock nuts in the place located on the plans is sufficient. That and some more practice landing! It will still have a little give if you have a dork landing. If you make it too strong at that location, something else will break upstream. This is all easier to work around if you are adding the inside fuselage doubler.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
Old nylon gets brittle. I’ve had nylon straps fail. Not uncommon. Probably were old. Bend an aged nylon prop, chances are it’ll snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »
I use nylons whenever I can. I'd rather have the gear break away than break something else. A couple weeks ago I broke the lower nylon keeper when doing a balloon bust on a Magician. The upper keeper stayed and the right side gear hung loose without damage to the plane nor did it bend the wire. A stronger metal keeper may have tripped the plane and made it crash. I also do breakaway gear on full fuse planes by using nylon mounting bolts...the struts shear off in bad crashes and there is no damage to the fuse. I borrowed this idea from rc planes.
Bill P.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
Wow. Thank you Motorman for this thread at a great time. I have a thread regarding my landing gear mistake, and went out and picked up another set of straps, although slightly loose (all they had was 1/8" straps and my LG is 3/32). But, I really like your idea of making metal straps and bolting them together. That would be a more-than-plenty strong solution to my problem. Thank you. Now to just put the plan into motion.....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here