News:

• May 12, 2024, 10:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sort of a building related question  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Sort of a building related question
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:59:38 PM »
OK, I was shopping for one of those boxes of 100 #11 X-Acto blades. Tower had them but the range in price what huge. Real X-Acto brand was around $30. They had Tower brand for about $10. Even had some other brand (Excell maybe) that was $39.

Is there any benefit to getting the real X-Actos or Excells over the Tower brand? Or are they the same thing repackaged?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sort of a building related question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 03:11:05 PM »
 :!  Randy, I have picked up some # 11 blades at the local hospital supply room.  They are sharper, but thinner. You have to be careful when using them as they will bend or flex. They seem to stay sharper longer also...
       Hope that this helps........
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:09:57 PM »
Randy,
I just bought another box of 100. The last box was Tower brand, my observation, they didnt seem to stay as sharp as long as the Xacto ones. Also noted a few,(maybe 15) werent sharp at all coming out of the box, I guess its the whole QC thing. I have a new box I got from Tower but I think they are the Hobbico brand? havent broken into them yet so I dont really know. I do seem to remeber the Xacto ones staying sharp longer though.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 09:38:03 AM »
Well, for really important cutting, I have gone to #3 and #4 scalpel handles with the #11 scalpel blades (#3 handle) and I believe it is "rib back" #25 for the #4 handle.  If the wood you are cutting is too hard for that "rib back" in the #4 blade, you need to build a house with it, not a model...................

Getting boxes of 100 #11 blades for the scalpels is the cheapest thing going, and they are BY FAR the sharpest things next to the old double edge razor blades.

BTW: I DO have about 500 new #11 "x-acto" brand blades that I use for rough work, and repairs.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 10:37:41 AM »
Bill,

I've used scalpel blades before, but I had the handles. Guess I'm just used to the round handle. I know the scalpel blade will fit into a standard No.11 handel, but the slot in the middle makes there pretty flimsy in a standard handle.

I can't remember the brand, but some hobby company made a X-Acto like handle that is designed to fit scalpel blades. Wish I could remember which one.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:44:14 AM »
where does one find the scalpel blades and handles?
maybe I should go in for some elective surgery and cipe some off the table huh?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:49:49 AM »
where does one find the scalpel blades and handles?
maybe I should go in for some elective surgery and cipe some off the table huh?

I just buy them off ebay now.  I used to get them at a local medical supply store and the guy knew EXACTLY what I wanted them for without asking!  Last ones were #11s and 9.99 for a 100.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:36:33 AM »
Two years ago I ran out of blades and went on the same hunt.  The 100 count bulk pack that I used to get at the office supply stores was no longer stocked.  Tower had the real deal which were expensive, they actually had two different listings for the X-acto brand blades.  They also had all the other brands.  I ended up buying the X-acto's because that was what I'd used in the past, expecting a known quantity.  When they got here they weren't in the small box that they used to be, but more of a throw away blister pack.  Also the blades are blue now?  No idea why.  Also they seem to be very low quality.  I blow through them like nothing cause they don't stay sharp long.  Maybe I should have ordered the other stock number? 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 11:45:11 AM »
I ended up buying a box of a 100 Excell No.11s and a box of a 100 scalpel blade with a very trick handle I liked. It's round like an X-Acto. Got both from an online medical supply place. Price was attractive.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 06:45:34 PM »
:!  Randy, I have picked up some # 11 blades at the local hospital supply room.  They are sharper, but thinner. You have to be careful when using them as they will bend or flex. They seem to stay sharper longer also...
       Hope that this helps........

The "Hospital #blades come in two versions.
The EXPENSIVE STERILE BLADE! and then the less expensive  (Non-sterile Blade) by Bard Parker B-P that I bought from
BectonDickinson AcuteCare (made in USA)
Franklin Lakes NJ Lakes NJ 07417

The UP side is that they are reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaallly sharp! Have a very teenie tip for really accurate cutting that visually is far and away better than the normal hobby version.

The Down side is when you try to use them in a regular EXacto handle...they will insert but become very brittle and dangerous and can become a  lethal XXX flying-object unless you purchase the handle at the same time. (The small handle takes some getting used to and changing the blades requires some force..but changes very quickly and securely.)
(If you use these hospital blades in your round Exacto handle. I quickly "snip off the top upper part of the blade itself...which then becomes a really nice flexible way to cut rounds and corners etc.
For the most part...in general construction...the EXACTO blade and its china generic'al #11s are perhaps the cheapest and best way to go when using on balsa...and other model construction parts.
HOWEVER FOR CUTTING BEAUTIFUL FRISKET MASKS WITH CURVES AND CLOSE PRECISION CUTTING....
I COULD NEVER WORK WITHOUT THESE BEAUTIFUL BLADES....ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR MODEL REACHES THE FINISHING DETAIL STAGES!!
(Here is an attached quick scan to show you these blades and handle.

BOTTOM LINE! KEEP USING THE REG. EXACTO BLADES FOR MOST OF THE "GRUNT MODEL STUFF" UNLESS YOU GOTSSSSLOTS OF $$$$

check out the net. on prices..etc.
Interesting websites: www.incisiontech.com
                              www.outpatientsurgery.net
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:06:37 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 07:18:26 AM »
Hi Shultzie,

The "non-sterile" Rib-Back blades in #11, and for heavier balsa cutting, the #25 are the cat's meow! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 10:57:14 AM »
Hi Shultzie,

The "non-sterile" Rib-Back blades in #11, and for heavier balsa cutting, the #25 are the cat's meow! ;D

Here is a shot of the "modified Parker blade snip job" and the larger handle for the heavier cutting. (From years of habit using the round #11 holder..I find myself often "whittlin" my finger using the Larger #4 handle for the #25 (with that protruding curved cutting blade area that runs deep up into the handle?) n~ LL~ (especially when in "a hurry!!) OUCH!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »
Shultzie,

I ordered a box of a hundred surgical blades. The deal comes with two handles. I've used them before and haven't liked the feel, but it's just from being used to X-Acto handles. I also ordered up a box of a 100 #11 X-Acto.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
Shultzie,

I ordered a box of a hundred surgical blades. The deal comes with two handles. I've used them before and haven't liked the feel, but it's just from being used to X-Acto handles. I also ordered up a box of a 100 #11 X-Acto.

Yeh...
I don't care for the "feel" either...nuttin beat a round handle for control... also on stiffer materials...I often end up with sore fin-aagaaaas, due to the pressure points of the thin handles. :o

Still my favorite all around #11 handle is this one...that was given to me by another Boeing Artist...
Rubba-dubba-dooo soft cover and a nice blade release button...works great with the "clipped #11's (Only identification on the handle is a big X and the Word X-Acto?
Any idea where these might still be available?  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »
I checked ebay and there is a supplier selling #11 surgical blades for $16, including the shipping. Anyone use these? The Brad Parker blades cost lots more.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 07:35:51 AM »
I checked ebay and there is a supplier selling #11 surgical blades for $16, including the shipping. Anyone use these? The Brad Parker blades cost lots more.

I wait until I can get them for $10 or less per 100.   They always come up quickly at that price, it seems.  There are a whole lot more people selling scalpel blades on ebay than I ever imagined! y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here