News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nose ring "sander"  (Read 729 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Nose ring "sander"
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »
I know Jim Lee has a nose ring sander and I highly recommend it!

But, if you are in a bind and need one quick, you can make one from two pieces of 1/8th ply and a scroll saw.

I make a square about 2 1/2" wide for a 2" nose.  I mark across it from corner to corner on the diagonal to ge the center.  I drill this to match the prop shaft on the engine.  I make another one but I cut the center out about 1" diameter.  This I face with sandpapaer and glue it (on the diagonal) to the first piece.  This leaves "handles" for your fingers to work.

Place it on the prop shaft with the sandpaper facing the nose ring (plug all the engine openings with paper towel!) and snug the prop nut on it.  Begin to turn it back and forth, round and round!  As it gets loose, tighten the nut slightly.
This set up will give you up to 1/8th" clearance from the face of the drive washer (spinner back plate) to the face of the nose ring.  Plus it is EXACTLY aligned with the drive washer so the gap around the nose is even.

EDIT:  Do get one of Jim's pieces if you can!  This is just for "emergency" use! ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:13:11 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Nose ring "sander"
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
Bill
Thanks for the mention!!   #^
I did the plywood and sandpaper with a 1/4" hole style myself years ago.  The current Lee Machine Shop offering is a precision version of that tool.   And it also is available in 7 mm for those Saito's.  Yes, it's a shameless plug    y1 y1  ;D
Thanks   ;D
Jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here