News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another adjustable leadout. I cant stop  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
Another adjustable leadout. I cant stop
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:04:09 PM »
Bob , You really got me to thinking about the adjustable leadouts. I decided today to see how simple a one I could come up with. This is the most minmum so far. The 3/32 rods that are knurled to help them hold in the epoxy are probably a lot longer than they would be in an actual installation. It would be real easy to make this style follow the curve of the wingtip. Weight as weighed on poor scales is about 1/2 oz with the over length 3/32 rods. The small picture shows the design of the leadout guide. Bob keep on with the how to postings. There are a lot of things that have changed in the last 35 years since I was into this great hobby the first time.  You do a fantastic job with the pictures and descriptions. Anyone that could not understand them, might want to consider another hobby. I noticed this morning I had a couple of replies to the posting  on the other leadout guide. I think they were a victim of "The Great Stunt Hanger Blackout"

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Another adjustable leadout. I cant stop
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 02:41:17 AM »
Now that's a class piece of work.  You could peddle those.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bob Johnson

• Lieutenant
  • Lone Eagle Stunt Flyers -Have stooge. will travel.
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:21 AM »
Very Clever. Just goes to show that there are multiple ways to de-fur the feline. Keep going, invention and innovation are the life blood of progress.
Bob

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 07:45:18 AM »
Very Clever. Just goes to show that there are multiple ways to de-fur the feline. Keep going, invention and innovation are the life blood of progress.
Bob

I am having so much fun with this that before I quit the cat will be bald. One fella pointed out the virtue of lightness so now I am going to see how light  I can make one. Bob you have unleashed a monster, but don't stop on account of me. I really enjoy seeing your craftsmanship and the ability to convey it to others.That combination is a rare talent..

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 11:14:27 AM »
What does this one weigh?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »
What does this one weigh?

Probably a little under 1/2 ox after the 3/32 rods are trimmed to length. I am planning to build a super light weight one next as one fella pointed that it would take extra weight in the opposite wing to balance whatever the weight was. I am glad he mentioned that as I really had not thought that much about the weight.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 12:34:20 PM »
This is the sort of thing that would force me to pull out my wallet, even though I am perfectly capable of making a set of leadout guides. Shame on you !! <=
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »
 ::)
Okay Keith, Post the pictures of the other one. I like it better.
Terry

Don't forget, You would make the center part only and We could use it on Plywood rib.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 12:36:57 AM »
Well I finally actually got a look at adjustable lead outs on a plane. I assumed that they went at the very tip of the wing, but now I see where they (at least the ones I saw) went on the end rib of the wing about an inch inside the wing. I know that there is a pretty simple system that has holes in the wing tip along with a slot to move the lead outs in and eyelets or tubing as guides.
 :!

What other ways if any are adjustable leadouts attached to the wing. Any input will be greatly appreciated. ???

Obviously I need to go back to the drawing board with my designs. I guess it just shows that you shouldn't try to "reinvent the wheel" if you have never seen anything that was round. HB~>

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Another adjustable lead out. I cant stop
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 01:07:59 AM »
Keith you are a fine metal worker! However we are not trying to make inboard wing tip weight. These parts need to be light and serviceable. You need to try to keep the concentrated weight close to the CG. If you use allot of weight in the Nose,tail,wingtips it sets up all sorts of trimming problems. LIGHTER IS BETTER!!
AMA 12366

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 01:09:42 AM »
Hey Keith, don't disparage your own efforts; you've shown some alternate approaches that should be do-able.
I'll try to put some pics on of my 1/2A over-&-under adjustables.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
Re: Another adjustable lead out. I cant stop
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 09:39:54 AM »
However we are not trying to make inboard wing tip weight. These parts need to be light and serviceable. Y LIGHTER IS BETTER!!

Thanks Bob, It is slowly beginning to dawn on me the importance of weight. From now on everything I try, I will first consider the weight issue first.

I will keep trying and hopefully I can come up with something simple and usable that might be of use to someone. I can not thank you enough for this forum that allows me to present my ideas to others for evaluation and thanks to all who made suggestions. Hopefully maybe some day I can make a small contribution to fellow modelers, I would be happy if it was only 1/100 of a percent of the contribution that you have made to all of us.

Crazy as it may sound,depending on the weather, at least three of us are planning to be in St. Louis in February. Until then keep that Thunderbolt safe so I can get a couple dozen pictures of it.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
I'll try to put some pics on of my 1/2A over-&-under adjustables.

--Ray

Thanks for showing that. For almost the last 60 years I never thought in any terms except the leadouts side by side. Great to see some alternative ideas.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here