News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:54:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Hobby Cutting Foam  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New Hobby Cutting Foam
« on: October 03, 2016, 09:12:28 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:26:08 PM by Motorman »

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
Re: New Hobby Cutting Foam
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
I know that exercise!  My attempts have yielded a big garbage can full of similar results.  
I am yet undaunted in my determination to conquer the foam wing beast.  I just picked up a Tekoa Feathercut system and I am sure that good results will ensue in time with practice.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:41:53 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
OK.  Now I feel less bad about having to sand my first attempt at a leading edge mold to straighten it up.  Maybe I started more oversize and sanded more?

This foam cutting stuff is harder than it looks, fer sure.  I've gotten to the point of deciding that either my hands aren't steady enough, or it's something that I could do with way more practice than I'm willing to invest.  I suspect that I could build a CNC machine to do the cutting, and learn to use it correctly, with less time & effort than I could learn to do it by hand.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »
As with any thing it takes practice and patience to do it.  I still have one of the first foam cutting sets that I got years ago.   Has on-off switch.  Metal bow and .018 music wire.   My first wing was a disaster.  The second worked out okay until I tried to make the lead out holes.   Another learning curve in which I made a jig for putting in holes so I could then core the wing.   Also at one time the lumber supplier carried 2 inch foam.  So I was limited as I didn't like gluing two sheets of foam together.  I haven't tried the heating/air conditioning places yet like some one said as I have too much fun cutting ribs out of balsa.   I think Bobby gets his foam in big blocks.  You might contact him.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:16:50 PM »
We have a winner, John, pick your leading edge.

Oh good, someone's mentioned Bob.  Now I don't have to worry about diplomatically declining a leading edge.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
Try slowing down for the top.  Home stores use re-ground foam, which has little collapsed beads in it.  All the articles I've seen say to call up a foam distributor and get virgin foam, because it cuts more consistently.

Of course, then you have to develop a relationship with your local distributor, and be content with buying huge bricks of foam.
AMA 64232

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 05:27:29 PM »
Getting the right foam is half the battle.  If you're using it to mold balsa, the pink and blue Styrofoam (Foamular is Owens Corning's trade name) cut better than white EPS foam.  Take the time to get the right EPS foam if it's to be part of your plane.  I'm not sure where you are, a quick search turned up a supplier of good foam in Allentown.  Get 1-2 lb. density and be sure you are getting virgin foam.  Some suppliers will put chunks of recycled material in foam and it will cause the bow to snag when the wire hits the pieces.

As for your bow, get the wire as tight as you possibly can.  Best to use a spring tensioning system if you can, the wire will stretch as it heats.  Larger diameter wire cuts smoother, look for something like .027.  I use stainless safety wire or fishing leader.  If all of your cutting is around outer type templates the larger kerf from larger diameter wire will not matter much.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
Contact your local wood supplier and buy a suitable sized piece of Basswood or Poplar. Then you can just whittle one to shape.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 01:00:55 PM »
Not sure about your location MM but I learned (like you did) that this is NOT a simple skill

Like others have mentioned...working with Virgin, AND NOT RECYCLED, foam is easier ---and I feel the need to say that !!! glued up blanks are just as bad as trying to cut recycled crap....no matter what glue

I am way back in the woods no wheres 'ville and can find lots of virgin light weight 2 to 6 inch thick foam sections to do what you are attempting

If your need is not too great I have a great light weight 2" x 24" x 48" virgin piece, I would be happy to slice several (you tell me size) pieces and mail to you
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
This was my solution. I got some green foam which is more dense, and so better for molds, then I made templates that were 1/8th bigger than the final size. I hot wired them then removed them and sanded down to the final templates with my long sanding board. Much easier than sanding solid basswood. My tube of Sig-ment should be here today so I can glue my balsa sheets together.

MM
When I was hand cutting foam wings I had much better results cutting with the airfoil laid flat, not standing up like your leading edge.
Try putting the template horizontal.  Put a pin into the leading edge center line.  Pin it onto the ends of the foam block. Put some weight ont he block such as a strip of 1/4 in. steel. Start the wire.  Lay it on the pin and pull it towards yourself.  Pick it up slightly as the wire hits the template and pull it around,

I found cutting the foam with a vertical movement was very difficult.  It's too easy to pull the wire off the template.  Nothing provides uniform pressure like GRAVITY.

Then take the excess and tape it back in place.  Turn the foam block over and repeat.  You might find it easier to cut more of the airfoil, say 3-4inches, for more maneuvering room.  File a slight dent in the foam, top and bottom, where the cut off will be. Then stop the wire in the notch for a couple second to make a clear mark for trimming.

We cut several hundred wings this way for both combat and stunt.
phil Cartier

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here