News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:06:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My LA HEAT  (Read 33030 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: My LA HEAT
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2007, 05:06:25 PM »
Well there's another weekend shot!! I coulda been out drinkin' and chasin' wimmin!!  <= BUT NO!!! I stayed home and painted this darned airplane!! mw~

The blank spots in the blue stripe are for bars and stars and fun stuff like that. I think I'll let it gas off a couple days before I get that started. All that's left to put red and blue stripes on is the stabilizer and wheel pants.

Of course there are still panel lines to do. And touch ups. I guess Joe at the Tap Room Bar & Grille will have to count on tips from someone else. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
Hi Frank,

Forget the wimmin', Frank!  There's more IMPORTANT things to do!  **)

You don't know how impressed I am with the job you have done with the Heat!  And I know fully well how much masking work you are doing.  It takes a LOT of will power to do a job like that! y1

I hope it really really flys great! (and I'm sure it will!)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2007, 05:59:24 PM »
Hi Frank,

Forget the wimmin', Frank!  There's more IMPORTANT things to do!  **)

You don't know how impressed I am with the job you have done with the Heat!  And I know fully well how much masking work you are doing.  It takes a LOT of will power to do a job like that! y1

I hope it really really flys great! (and I'm sure it will!)

Bill <><

Darn right WILL POWER!! Bill, I had to drag myself into the basement this weekend.........I'm over the hump now though. The rest should be a cakewalk. Thanks for the high compliments..............Now that I know you use opti-visors too I can guarantee that it will look great to you at the circle!! LL~

Now that I have a couple days while it gasses off I guess I'll mosey on back to the 1/2A department and see about getting cought up with Ray.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2007, 06:42:47 PM »
Yea but it still will not fit in your truck!!! n~ <= LL~

Looks good Frank! H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »
Yea but it still will not fit in your truck!!! n~ <= LL~

Looks good Frank! H^^

WELL NO, IT WON"T FIT IN MY TRUCK....................there is always that. I think what I'll do is use a piece of 1/2 inch plywood as large as the foot print of the plane and tie the gear to it and bungie cord the plywood to the truck. If the wings don't fold or if something else bad doesn't happen maybe I'll buy a cap for the truck. I sure hope I built it well enough to take the forces of flying the pattern with it. As I get closer to having it RTF I find myself reviewing how I built it. So far I think I'll have to do something stupid with it to get it to break.
I've got a lot of heart and soul into this one....................................................and fourteen months.......and hundreds of dollars..............and a lifetime of modeling dreams....................this model is well beyond my skill level for building and finishing..............if it works .........I'll probably build another one and doll it up more..........imagine how it's going to feel on the end of the lines with two .40s hauling it around at 53 MPH................and the plane is cool........there have been a lot of other multi engine models at the circle.......built and flown by guys much better at this than I am........but this plane has pizzazz..............Wayne Willie came up with the paint scheme, and I think he really nailed it..............

There will be pictures and video. And you know even without a picture or a minute of video I'll always remember this one.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:57 AM »
You better hope it only does 53 mph, or you better put rocks in your pockets.  I imagine much faster and it'd be dragging you all over the circle...the spectators would always remember it too!

You've done an outstanding job on an outstanding design, Frank...my hat's off to you.  I've been admiring this thing ever since you first posted pictures of it, and trying to imagine what flying it would be like.  It'll be an unforgettable experience all right, and you've earned it.  Don't forget the video camera...I want to hear those 2 .40s.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2007, 05:41:35 AM »
Anyone want to come up with a stooge to hold Frank to the center of the circle? I'm wondering where its gonna be safest, outside the circle watching or in the center holding onto Frank.

Bob

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2007, 07:53:11 AM »
Get the man a Speed pylon...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »
Need to get a chair strapped to a merry go round for him.  If I am there for flight #1 and it looks like he needs some anchoring, I will run out and give the softie a big hug.  That should keep him in place.
John Paris

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm happy that you fellows are finding so many laughs in this...............But really I'm short and fat. There will be no problem holding onto this plane. <=
Frank Carlisle

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
Frank,
The problem is not you holding the airplane, it is you holding your spot on the ground.  Sure the lower center of gravity helps when it comes to tipping over, but you can't have good friction unless you have a lot of weight.  What size lines can you use with that one?  0.021"?
John

Heavy and there for ya when ya needs me.
John Paris

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
Is Frank tipping going to become a new high school sport?

bob LL~

ps  i'll go back to my sanding now   HB~>

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2007, 08:21:26 PM »
John------not to worry, I'll hold my ground. It's gonna be great at the circle--I'll have my man size plane and all you guys will be flying your little girlie girl models. <= #^ <=

Bob--- you guys should be tipping me. For two years I've been entertaining y'all with the Bi-Slob. And now the HEAT--you know I built it just so you guys could get to watch it go.

Tonight I painted the Stars and Bars and the U.S.A.F. on the bottom of the wing. By weeks end I'll have all the stencils painted on. BTW---stencils are great! Back in the old days we cut our numbers and letters by hand. Now with stencils it's a breeze.
Over the weekend I'll paint the stabilizer and start the panel lines. Ya know I think this puppy will be ready to fly next month. Now if Art would just get those engines done......................
Frank Carlisle

Walter Hicks

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2007, 08:32:15 PM »
Hi Frank,

You can use .018 solids ,I will be using them with My Stalker .81 . Windy U said that .021 braids use 1 foot

shorter lines . Also I will try to dig up an old VCR tape of the Original LA Heat at a contest in Fresno,Ca

with actual flying footage and close up video of this plane. I am not sure if I still have it but if I do I will send

it to you. Bob Whitley used two OS .35 S engines and 3 blade props. . Walter Hicks

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2007, 08:39:36 PM »
I'll probably try the solid lines as well as the braided. You know how it is...........once you start flying a model you keep putzing with it.

I'd sure like to see that video. I'll cover whatever costs you incur to get it to me.

Stalker .81. Big engine.
Frank Carlisle

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »
Frank, Any chance you'll be posting some videos of this bad boys in action on you tube? ;D
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2007, 08:48:59 PM »
Frank, Any chance you'll be posting some videos of this bad boys in action on you tube? ;D

You betcha Steve............If I can I plan to get video right from the first flight. I'll be sure to share it. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2007, 07:34:23 PM »
I've started getting panel lines on it. I don't plan to use lots and lots of them. Just a few. So far I have simulated trim tabs on flaps elevator and rudder.
Just a few more stencils to go too.  I'm trying to think where to put my AMA license #.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:55 AM »
MAke you AMA number a 1" "outline numbers" (no color, just the outline) on the right flap in a *lightish* gray ink.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2007, 12:04:04 PM »
Looking good, Frank. Make sure you have someone in the circle with you when you fly it the first time....to hold onto your belt. That's a BIG plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2007, 05:20:47 AM »
all this talk bout the plane being big and the chance that I may have trouble flying it isn't damping my desire to fly it. Not even a little bit. In fact I want to fly it even more!! I know it's going to be a lot of fun.
I only have two more stencils to paint on it. And the stab and wheel pants need stripes and then I'm ready to start applying clear. After I get  couple coats of clear on it, I'm heding to the circle. Gret timing too, as the weather is starting to turn toward spring. WOO  HOOOOOOoooo. #^
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2007, 07:22:50 AM »
Hi Frank,

Just go to a local low end sporting goods store and get three or four weighted work out vests, and a dozen or so pairs of ankle weights!  You will have a hard time getting to the center of the circle, but you WILL be firmly planted there! **)

It looks awesome, I only wish I could see it flyin' person.......

Tell ya what:  You bring it to Muncie in July for Classic, and I'll finally finish the Vulcan and fly it in Classic!  (uhhh..... I *think* that was a *challenge* ;D )

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2007, 07:59:54 AM »
Be sure and give it a good pull test before you fly it, Frank...don't want that one getting loose.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2007, 02:43:24 AM »
MAke you AMA number a 1" "outline numbers" (no color, just the outline) on the right flap in a *lightish* gray ink.

This means a trip back to the Stencil Shop. But it is too good an idea not to do it. Thanks Bill.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
We're just giving you a bad time Frank. You'll be fine flying it. My buddy, Pat, did in fact give up on 60-65 sized planes for awhile because he thought that he was having to muscle them too much (he's all of 5'3" and a hundred and twenty pounds). But now he's back to somewhat bigger planes and having no problems. It's all in the trim.   :)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
I know you guys are just razzin' me Randy.....and.......I'm glad ya'll like me well enough to do it.
I did get to thinking about the size and weight of the plane though. I had one once that weighed 64 ounces and didn't have any problem flying it. The Heat is going to come in around 70 ounces. That's not such a big difference. So far the only down side I see is that it won't fit in my truck.

I just got done painting the last two stencils. I'm getting ready now to get colors on the stab. The stab by the way spans 29 inches.
So far I have six different colors on the model.

Here is where it's at right now and since I have no life I'll spend tonite (SAturday) painting. ......well actually most of the evening will be spent masking.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2007, 06:39:30 PM »
I like it Frank, thats a very clean pait scheme, should look nice in the air too!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2007, 09:39:06 PM »
Mark, I'm up to steel wool on mine. Remind me never to put pearl in the clear again unless I'm shooting clear dope for topcoat. Man, my shoulder is sore.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »
Frank,
When it's ready to go....I'll stop by and we can stick it in my full size truck and I'll meet you at the field......Ha Ha Ha Ha ha ha ha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:16:38 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
I'm finally back to the LA HEAT.................
Today I'm masking the stab which is the last area that needs stripes.
Here is a picture of the masking on the top.
NASCAR is running a new car at Bristol today so it may be tomorrow before I have the colors on it.

How many of you guys are NASCAR fans? Anyway.
Frank Carlisle

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
I live for Talladega!!!!
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2007, 02:10:32 PM »
Bristol and Martinsville,, best tracks on the circuit, though wathing those beasts negotiate the road courses is something spectacular as well
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »
49 cars doing 130 mph on a one mile track!!.............Kinda like monday morning rush hour traffic on the Ford Freeway here in Detroit.

I have all the stripes taped off on the stab and am pretty breathless. Listening to the race on the radio downstairs and rushing upstairs to the TV to see the cautions.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
Hey Frank: Bristol is a 1/2 mile track.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »
So it's 98 cars doing a hundred and thirty on a half mile track. Twice as cool.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
Frank,

Well, they are working on a plan to put a NASCAR track about a mile from where I live. Kitsap County. Haven't decided yet if I like the idea, but no doubt, they won't ask my opinion. It's starting to look that the local legislature is going to pull it's head out of it's collective backsides and move forward on it. Hey, maybe they'll have a parking lot I can fly on.   #^

Get going on the Heat. I got in the maiden flights on the Novi today. I'm smiling.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2007, 09:32:52 PM »
Randy if they build a NASCAR track they'll have a big parking lot. Maybe they'll let you fly on it.
Hmmmmm.......I wonder what they do with the track when they aren't running NASCAR.

So I got the stab painted today. It took about 6 hours. I put brighter lights up in my shop and I use an Opti-Visor  when I work on the plane. The magnification combined with the brighter light showed every little flaw. SHEESH!! I'm not such a great builder.

Anyway here are a few pix. The plane is pretty much the way it will look when I'm done. The canopy is still going to get a painted frame and I plan on adding some panel lines, but other than that it won't look much different than it does now.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2007, 02:08:40 AM »
Frank, it's a real work of art.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2007, 06:26:08 AM »
Frank: It really looks great. The builder always spots all the flaws, someday my planes will look that bad. (I hope) CLP** CLP** CLP** CLP** CLP**
Leester
ama 830538

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2007, 06:38:42 AM »
Thanks Ray------I just gotta get this thing done. It's been 14 months in the doing. And the reason why I've temporarily put the Frankenstone Arrow on the back burner.

Lee your planes already look that bad. I've seen pix of your models, they're nice.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »
Frank,

Looks really good here. That is just going to be a kick to fly, I bet.

Isn't it they way? 6 hours of taping for 2 minutes of painting. I'd think long and hard about the canopy frame. It looks really cool right now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2007, 03:54:50 PM »
Frank,

Looks really good here. That is just going to be a kick to fly, I bet.

Isn't it they way? 6 hours of taping for 2 minutes of painting. I'd think long and hard about the canopy frame. It looks really cool right now.

I did think long and hard about the canopy frame. In for a penny in for a pound.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »
That's what I like; a man with guts. Go for it.   >:D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2007, 08:28:53 PM »
Some might say he don't know when to quit...but not me.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2007, 08:38:18 PM »
Hey--no guts-no glory.

But consider this.......as soon as this plane is done I'm just going to build another stunter anyway. So there really isn't any reason not to go the whole ten yards on each model. Who knows maybe one day I'll get one perfect. y1
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2007, 11:35:15 AM »
I've certainly been accused of that. Get some hair-brained idea and instead of building a test plane, going the whole 9 yards with a full boogie competition plane. Some worked, some didn't but I learned a lot from every one. Especially what NOT to do.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Pedersen

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
The Plane looks great Frank,I wish you the best on the test flights.It will be some time before any test flying happens here ,we still have about 3 ft of snow left on the ground ,but the good news it has been melting. Best of luck Frank and I hope it trims easy for you.   :D
    Dennis       
Dennis Pedersen
Alberta Canada

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
Frank,
At this rate, 14 months, if you keep on going this build may never end  n~ . A friend of Mike Schmitt once said, "Sometimes good enough is good enough". I admire your persistence. I would have been burned out loooong ago  HB~>.
Hey, I still don't see any engines. What's happening there?
DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2007, 02:34:20 PM »
Big Art did some work on the engines. I don't know what he did, or care. They always work good when I get them back from him. Anyway the engines are ready to pick up so I may have this plane done soon.

Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2007, 04:26:17 PM »
Frank,

Remember, no finish (or plane, for that matter) is ever done, only abandoned. It's not if, it's when.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here