News:

• May 23, 2024, 12:35:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My LA HEAT  (Read 33204 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: My LA HEAT
« Reply #250 on: May 25, 2007, 10:40:38 AM »
No problem Ray..........no bottle for me. And at least Linda didn't up and die. She's out there somewhere and I hope she's having a good life.

But back to modeling.................I ran up the engines a little while ago.
They both hold well enough to the needle that it will be flyable. It started to rain so we didn't have a chance to run the engines together. Right now it looks like I won't get enough run time on 10% nitro. I'll probably have to get some 5%. I have a 4 oz. maximum fuel capacity for each engine. With 10% it takes 4 1/4 oz. to go all the way to a 6:45 fuel run. 5% will give me the run time required and for now I can run the 10% for initial flight tests.

On the down side----A prop flew off on start up on the inboard engine ( flooded condition with low charge on ignitor) and instead of sticking in Jan it stuck in the wing. It's an overnight fix though. Like I said before modeling is cheap entertainment. A fix is just more play time. Still a bummer though. I must say it was exciting, stuff flew everywhere. After a 20 minute search we retrieved all the pieces and went on to a couple of successful runs.
OOOOooooo...........I'm getting close to being able to fly this bugger.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #251 on: May 25, 2007, 02:56:35 PM »
http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm

follow the link above---when the page comes up----click cl kits---then click full fuselage kits----then scroll down to LA HEAT.

I think it's really cool that Eric would use a picture of my kit built LA HEAT for his web site. I'm honored.
This kit is great as are all of the other kits and goodies RSM has to offer. While you're there give yourself a treat and check out the whole line. I bet you'll find three models you'd like to build.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #252 on: May 25, 2007, 05:19:55 PM »

On the down side----A prop flew off on start up on the inboard engine ( flooded condition with low charge on ignitor) and instead of sticking in Jan it stuck in the wing. It's an overnight fix though. Like I said before modeling is cheap entertainment. A fix is just more play time. Still a bummer though. I must say it was exciting, stuff flew everywhere. After a 20 minute search we retrieved all the pieces and went on to a couple of successful runs.

On the other hand, if it had stuck in Jan he'd heal all by himself, no effort from you necessary! (You don't have to tell Jan I said that.)

You're getting really good at repairs...

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #253 on: May 25, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
On the other hand, if it had stuck in Jan he'd heal all by himself, no effort from you necessary! (You don't have to tell Jan I said that.)

You're getting really good at repairs...

--Ray

Yes exactly.....Jan would heal up all by himself and he'd even look a little more cavalier with a nice jagged scar. But the plane? No such luck I gotta do it myself. Like you say Ray---I am getting good at making repairs.

And speaking of repairs----here is the next one I'll be making. As soon as I get back from Brodak I'm going to get to work on this.
I was just heading into the second loop of the cloverleaf when TWAAAANG!! a line broke and the plane did too. It sucked big time. It happened about 3 weeks ago and I'm just now starting to consider how I'm going to get it back together. The loss is much more significant than if it had been an ARF. Yup I like high stakes when it comes to flying model planes. I've been keeping this one a secret till I knew for sure that I could repair it to like new condition. I see another long thread in my future. And a big plus is the plane is already paid for and now I get to build it a second time. Now that's what I call getting a lot of value out of your entertainment dollar.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #254 on: May 26, 2007, 01:58:52 AM »
Looks kinda like my LittleAxe; I didn't have the stomach to take photos.  Be sure to go deep enough to find every bit of damage...the more covering I stripped off, the more balsa pieces fell out.  I finally have tackled the rebuild and have the wing back on, new ribs, tip, flap replaced, ready for LE sheeting.  Then I gotta tackle the fuselage, shattered over and behind the wing.  A lot of it stayed with the wing when it folded forward. 

My philosophy as developed through the years is, If you're gonna fly, you're gonna crash; just get your mind set for it.  If you don't want to crash, build display models.  Now I can add your excellent attitude about getting yet more building enjoyment out of a wreck! Just think, in my earlier days I could entertain myself for practically nothing/hour!  Combat will do that...

--Ray

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2007, 03:58:35 PM »
I'm going to dig deep Ray. Haven't quite worked out the procedure for the rebuild yet but it's coming.

On rainy days I sleep a lot. So I've been sleeping off and on for the last 18 hours. I'm rested. And when I'm rested I can see things from a different angle.

A thought I had a little while ago is that each man's destiny requires a certain amount of loss and heartache. Call it a necessary excercise to temper the soul. The loss of a plane that we slaved over to get built just right and spent huge amounts of our limited time here on the planet to accomplish probably registers high on the universres richter scale of human folly and disaster. Hence when one of our models crashes we are spared some other form of tragedy.
And when we rebuild and repair our crashes the universe likely accepts this as a penance we are paying to atone for our folly. Which then results in a state of grace which further insulates us from the trickery of a cruel and treacherous world.

The moral of the story is hold nothing back. Spare no effort in the accomplishment of getting something right.
Amen. Go in peace. And may all your crashes be attributable to something other than pilot error. #^

Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2007, 08:03:47 PM »
I get it...a zero-sum game.  If only.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My LA HEAT----still doesn't fit in my truck
« Reply #257 on: May 27, 2007, 07:31:12 PM »
I gotta make a box to carry the Heat in before I can fly it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #258 on: May 27, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
H-e-y-y-y-y-y-y.....that's not your truck!!

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2007, 12:25:17 PM »
Frank,

I know how you feel on the crash. I splatted the Novi at the Regionals last weekend. Repairable, but still, I hardly got to fly it. It will take rebuilding the outboard wing. I may do it eventually.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
Randy I'm sorry to hear you splatted............. SH^....I knew there'd be a use for this emoticon. It's sad to crash. A lot of time and work gets lost.
I'm starting to look at Victory more closely now after 3 or 4 weeks since the incident. Only guys who build their own know what it's like to lose a plane for any reason.

I have a new bummer happening right now-------misery does love company doesn't it? ANYWAY .......the bummer is this.
I definitely can't carry the LA Heat in my truck. A cap won't do the trick because I think it needs to be transported sitting on it's wheels and even with a cap I'd have to rest it on it's nose and a wing tip. The nose is balsa and too soft I think to take the knocking around.
I have a box half built that I could fasten to the bed of my truck but the box has gotten huge. I'm having a problem trying to come up with a solution to create a roof for it. I had thought I'd use 1/4" luann but it would sag too much in the middle.
I just now quit working on it till I can think something up.
So now I have a new plane RTF and I can't get it to the circle.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »
HOw about that corrugated plastic stuff, an inch or more from top of coorugation to bottom.  Fiberglass I think.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
Frank, my friend, 1/2 inch ply for the bottom with anchors to tether the LG in place.  With all the braces between your runners 1/4" luann can't really sag on the sides or tops.  Line it with a bed pad of egg crate foam, hinge the top at the "front" (where it is near the truck cab) and put a small hasp on the rear (a dog clip will work to keep it closed), and apply some thick self stick weatherstripping where it's going to contact the trucks fenders.  I think you could probably ship it ups made like that.  Your structure has plenty of supports in it and the "skin" is just to keep stuff off the plane.  Personally, I would screw everything together in stead of nails.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #263 on: May 28, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
Ray, Bill, I went to Home Depot to browse for ideas. I like your ideas well enuff but there are a couple of considerations I need to point out.
The box is 58x 68 inches by 16 inches tall.
First -- I'll have to slide the plane into the box ( picture a pizza oven) because it's a hard reach up on top of the truck. I'd have to take a step ladder. And how could you possibly support a lid that's nearly 60 x 70 inches? If it was a take off lid where would you put it? And I'd run the risk of dropping the lid on the plane.
If I made the thing entirely of ply wood it would be a real chore to lift it onto the truck. It would be heavy and it's size would be awkward to handle. And this needs to be a job I can do by myself.

I used finishing nails because screws would split the wood. I'm going to make ply gussets for the corners.

I found some very cool looking 3/4" X 4ft. X 8ft. rigid styrofoam construction insulation. It is coated with shiny silver on one side and clear plastic film on the other. So the box would be waterproof and cool ( as in temperature wise). I think I'll use two sided carpet tape and pan head screws to fasten it to the sides of the box--ON THE INSIDE. It will provide a bumper fpr the plane. And stiffen the structure.
1/4" luaun for the floor backed up with 1x2 pine beams will give n me a solid bottom.
!x2 beams across the top and the styro sheeting for skin.

I have metal L-brackets that I can fasten to the tonneau cover frame and screw to the sides of the box to keep it there.

I think the styro will stop road debris from penetrating to the interior of the box.
Frank Carlisle

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #264 on: May 28, 2007, 04:19:57 PM »
To make it easy to put it in the box. Hinge the back panel as a door, and use a second sheet of ply on the bottom that you can pull out and push in after attaching the airplane to it.

don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #265 on: May 28, 2007, 04:28:17 PM »
Excellent idea Don. I'll use it. Thankyou. I can always use a latch and padlock to secure it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2007, 08:15:03 PM »
Sorry, Frank, I didn't realize you wouldn't be able to reach up there and put it in the box.  I wasn't hinking about that.  But then, again, I wouldn't have a problem putting it in the box, and if it was under 200 lbs, It would be a piece of cake for me.  I guess I need to consider things first.  My Bad. ;D
 H^^

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2007, 08:31:44 PM »
If we were neighbors Bill I'd build a box big enough for both of our planes.......because you'd be there to get them in and out.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #268 on: May 28, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »
Frank,

Hmmm, aluminum arches and canvas?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2007, 07:04:14 AM »
If we were neighbors Bill I'd build a box big enough for both of our planes.......because you'd be there to get them in and out.

Hi Brother Frank,

If we were neighbors, I would be more than happy to do that task for you!  There are some advantages to being an ex-powerlifter even if I do suffer from post concussion syndrome! ** (sadly, it's true.......)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #270 on: May 29, 2007, 07:18:37 AM »
Post Concussion Syndrome?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #271 on: May 29, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »
Post Concussion Syndrome?

Yeah, it seems I had way too many concussions back when I was playing ball.  The last ten years of playing I had what Doctor's consider a concussion almost daily, sometimes more than once a day.....  Supposedly my total lack of any kind of headache in the past 30 odd years is one possible good side effect!  The fact that my short term memory can have MAJOR glitches (way more so than "the aging effect") is one of the down sides.  I had to have a cat scan of my pea pickin' brain, and the Doctor said (quote) well we couldn't find anything significant (end quote).  So's I told her, "well many folk have said I was empty headed sometimes!"  (true story).

There is a medical team doing a study on ex (and current) NFL players who sufferd repeated concussions....... some "Altzheimer's" types of conditions seem to show up in post mortem examinations......  it has been linked to the suicides of several ex-players by some of these neuologists.  Not much is really known about the long term effects because no one really complains about it.  One thing is certain: getting your bell rung, isn't as minor as it was once believed.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #272 on: May 29, 2007, 07:43:08 AM »
That explains a lot........ y1.....I like that line "get your bell rung".......Don't know what else to say.....you seem to be o.k. to me.

I haven't worked on the box yet today. I'm feeling real lazy. I plan to paint the frame later. Then I'll go get the rest of the materials to finish it. My club field is 60 miles round trip. In the old days I could have taken a cab compared to what it costs for gas to get there today.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2007, 01:56:21 AM »
Well Bill your experience sounds like what happened to old time great pitcher Dizzy Dean. He suffered a head injury and went to the hospital, the next days headlines " Exray of Deans head shows nothing" LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2007, 08:36:43 AM »
Well Bill your experience sounds like what happened to old time great pitcher Dizzy Dean. He suffered a head injury and went to the hospital, the next days headlines " Exray of Deans head shows nothing" LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Yeah, I kinda feel that way sometimes! **) **) **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »
I'm finally having a little good luck.  A few weeks ago I lost my one only stunt plane "VICTORY" when a line broke. I fell back on my three year old Pathfinder to get me along till I could get the Heat up and flying. About two weeks ago the engine on the Pathfinder started getting sick. Turns out the bushing in the con rod where it connects to the wrist pin was worn out. At first I thought it could be the fuel, so I wasted time messing with oil content. Finally the engine started to bind up when I hand rotated it. The binding prompted me to disassemble the engine and that's how I discovered the con rod problem.
I took one of the engines out of the LA Heat and put it on the Pathfinder so I would be able to use the Pathfinder at Brodak. It's very disheartening to fly expert stunt with a profile but that is a story for another time. I had nothing but problems with the new engine. The run times were sporadic and varied and it quit at inopportune times. Needless to say I faired poorly at Brodak. Oh I had a lot of fun but my scores were the pits.
Gary Tultz got involved with the PF engine (B-40) at Brodak's and we got quite a few issues resolved, but it still wasn't quite where it needed to be. I got in my official flights at least.
I've had the PF out a few times this week and tried different glow plugs. No help. I shimmed the back end of the fuel tank out an 1/8 of an inch and the cut off improved dramatically.
Yesterday I got all the paint off the fuel tank and was seriously suspecting that there was something wrong with it. I figured I'd fly it one more time before I opened up the tank. I put that flight in this morning. Right away I noticed that the vent tube was syphoning a lot of fuel out while the engine was running. Hence the varied run times and inopportune quits.
I installed a 6/32 pressure fitting onto the tube muffler and connected it to the vent tube. I took the plane out a little while ago to test it and it ran perfectly. I wanted to put up some more flights but some kids were around and I was flying with a stooge line so I rolled everything up and came home.
The worste of all this and certainly the most depressing was having trouble with an engine that was destined to provide the grunt for my twin.
I like the way the new engine is running---Now I'm going to put it back in the twin and take the other engine out of the twin and put it in the PF far some flights.
As for the bad con rod bushing goes I can use a con rod and wrist pin from anothe B-40 . I can order replacement parts later.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
I forgot to post a picture..........

So here is how the engine is set-up.

Big Art wedge head button insert ( stock Brodak head will work fine).
One Brodak 40 head shim.
APC 10/4 prop.
Muffler pressure.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #277 on: June 24, 2007, 06:32:26 AM »
Looks good to me.  That's one well-used muffler.

Good idea, to put the other LA engine in the Pathfinder for a few flights, get it ironed out too; same time on both.

We're sure looking forward to the LA Heat's first flight!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #278 on: June 24, 2007, 08:50:37 AM »
That muffler has been around Ray. Maybe I'll get Jan to sandblast it soon.

The engine thing is finally starting to work out. I got 3 more flights on it today. 3 3/4 oz. gives me a 6:45 run at 10K. I was concerned about fuel consumption because the Heat has a maximum fuel capacity of 4 oz. per engine. So far so good.
I'm going to put the other Heat engine on the Pathfinder and fly it for the next few days till I have it dialed in as good as the first one.
We just started flying at a new park that is only a half mile from my house. This morning was our fourth outing to this park and so far it looks like we can use it regularly. We're being nice to the people we meet there and we're explaining the planes in such a way as to impart to them that their safety is a paramount concern. We are also keeping track of traffic and use patterns there so as not to interfere with it's regular use. Again so far so good.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2007, 11:53:53 AM »
Good approach.  I fly on an old softball practice field. Police have come by a few times when I fly to just observe, I don't know if someone calls them or what, but they've never issued a complaint or "cease" order. I'm always careful to point out to them it's a tethered airplane flying in a stationary circle. As with you, it's "so far so good".

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2007, 04:27:01 PM »
I got out to the park again this morning Ray. 8 A.M. The were 4 kids and an adult a ways off tossing a football and doing calisthetics. They were close but not dangerously so. I went over and described to them what we'd be doing and they moved off a bit. They were friendly.

Anyway I put up 3 flights on that engine and deemed it ready to go into the twin. Tonight I am heading back to fly the other engine on the Pathfinder. Same set up so I'll see how it goes.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2007, 06:09:11 PM »
Good luck with it, Frank!  I am sure it will all come together, and how sweet that will be!

I went out one morning this week to the school about a 1/2 mile away or so.  The football/soccer/softball field is not in use until evening, it's fenced in and decent.  There seems to be a day camp or something going on right now at the school (Elementary/old High School) and I flew to th cheers and clapping of about 100 or so kids and the adults who came outside to the playground after we started.  They were behind the fence up on the hill.  Only trouble we ever have there is evenings and weekend afternoons.  The latino soccer players just flood the place. When they start to arrive, I roll up the lines.  The Cops even stop by and discuss flying!  A couple do R/C, but so far, they have not shown a great interest in C/L.  :(
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2007, 07:23:55 PM »
Hi Bill, It's great to have someplace nearby to fly isn't it? I went out twice yesterday and twice today. 3 flights per session. I think I can clean up my act with all this flying.

Tonite was the first time with this new Brodak .40 on a plane. I have about an hour and a half run time on a test stand and it still isn't enough break in. I tacked it at 10k on the first flight ( normal stunt run) and it leaned out some and quit about 3 mins. into what should have been a 6:45 run. I flew it two more times tacked at 9400 and it ran steady, held the needle and ran the tank dry. It wasn't enough oomph to fly a pattern but lazy 8s and inside/outside loops were doable. Duration was 5:40.

I'm really glad I didn't try to fly the Heat with these engines before I ran them on the Pathfinder. I don't think I'd have crashed but the flights and the ensuing trouble shooting would have been a huge headache.

The great George Aldrich once said " break it in on the plane".
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2007, 07:40:47 PM »
That's generally what I do,  a few runs on the ground to loosen it up a little, then set it rich and put it in the air. At least you know for sure when it finally "comes in". But I guess it does make for some headaches at the flying field, setting the needle and putting up with bad runs, floodouts, etc. I just could never start an engine and then sit there and watch it run--always seemed like I was wasting flying time.

Only bad thing that ever happened was a new Norvel getting up too lean once and seizing up in the air.  But after it cooled down we were able to break it loose again, and it runs fine today...probably shortened its life, but then half of infinity is still infinity, right??  Anyone ever wear out one of these things yet?

Still, I'm trying to be better, really I am...I recently mounted half a dozen engines on a test stand and ran them several times, till I couldn't stand it any more and put them all in airplanes.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2007, 04:33:19 AM »
There is benefit in putting the engine on the plane for the break in. I usually just run them on the bench. I get started with a new engine just as soon as I've fit it for the model I'm building. During the course of the build I take the engine out and run it off to the side during flying sessions. The difference now is that we're flying on this baseball diamond and I don't want to irritate the folks that are in or live near the park with incessant engine running.

Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #285 on: June 28, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
Bill,

Yea, one of the consequences of being a college athelete. You wouldn't believe the fallout now, some 30 years later, of the surgeries I had as a kid.

So Frank, are ya gonna fly it soon?   H^^
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #286 on: June 28, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »
Hi Randy,
Yeah I think maybe next week I can start flying it. Engine #2 is being a real bear for the break in. It's coming in though.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #287 on: July 13, 2007, 02:18:18 PM »
As you may recall I was having a problem transporting the LA Heat because it wouldn't fit in my truck.

PROBLEM SOLVED....see pictures..................

I was making a box but that was getting awfully big. I priced trailers but a little one starts off at $1100 bucks.
Today as I was headed out to fly I saw a for sale sign on the trailer I just bought. It's used and needs to be refreshed but the Heat will fit in it.
I tried to get a hitch for my truck but I have to wait till Wednesday for that as it is on order.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2007, 05:12:14 PM »
Aw, man, Frank, now you can build one a WHOLE LOT bigger than that puny LA Heat!!!!!  And just live at the flying site to boot...very cool.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #289 on: July 13, 2007, 05:35:23 PM »
Yeah Ray. It was pretty serendipitous that it appeared at a price I could handle just when I needed it most. It has a toilet, shower, 3 burner stove, sink and a heater. It will sleep six (cramped tight) so now I can take several planes and gear. And slleep in it too.
I'm trying to think of a good paint scheme.........................
Frank Carlisle

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #290 on: July 13, 2007, 07:22:23 PM »
I'm trying to think of a good paint scheme.........................

S?P Don't forget the Stars my man!!! S?P
AMA 12366

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #291 on: July 13, 2007, 07:34:47 PM »
Stars for sure. I'm thinking  blue background with white stars on the whole front and wrapping around the sides about two feet then the rest red and white stripes.
Then maybe a zillion lights around the top. I mean enough lights to draw every moth for a 3 mile radius. AMA and PAMPA stickers in every window.
Fold out building table under the awning. Generator and some bench top tools like drill press, band saw, scroll saw.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #292 on: July 13, 2007, 10:32:38 PM »
Frank,

You should talk to Pat Johnston. He just built a trailer. Bought some wreak of the trailer and stripped it down to the frame and built a new top. He calls it the Canned Ham because it looks sorta like the old trailers from the 50s. Really delux with parque floors, nice woodwork inside. Painted cream and red with black trim, it is very slick looking. And a plane will fit in it easily.   #^
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »
Hey Frank, you could live in that thing, just travel around from contest to contest, flying site to flying site, all over the nation...just think of all the plane stuff you could buy by selling your house!  You could even travel to MN...

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
Tomorrow is D-Day y1 It's finally come down to flying the LA Heat. I'm taking it to Flint tomorrow. Most of the guys will be there to witness it. I'm taking a still camera and a camcorder. Other guys will be taking pictures too. It will be nearly as well documented as a rocket launch at Cape Kennedy. I've taken pains to set it up for a crashless first day at the circle.
I just got done making new handles the one on the left is a third generation model the one on the right is generation two.
I'll be using the one on the left for the Heat. The tip weight box is loaded and the lead out rake is far enough back that the plane won't come in at me.
I'm going to put the engines in tomorrow morning. That'll be a no brainer because I've already had them in and out dozens of times.
Well the time for squawking is past and no it's time to put 'er to the test. #^
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
Eagerly awaiting results...we'll be there with you in spirit.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2007, 06:42:21 PM »
Framk,
May the force be with you,,,,,,,,,,,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2007, 08:06:20 PM »
Frank, it's going to be fine.  Eat about a dozen extra pancakes for breakfast, you'll need them! ;D

Glad to hear it is going to finally take flight and I am eagerly awaiting the raving flight reports. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2007, 08:57:16 PM »
Thanks Bill.........I'm reactivating my putfile account tonite so tomorrow I can post a link to the video of the Heat in the air.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2007, 11:45:04 PM »
Can't wait to see the pictures, Frank. Go get 'em.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here