News:

• May 01, 2024, 10:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My LA HEAT  (Read 32963 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: My LA HEAT
« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »
Frank,

Remember, no finish (or plane, for that matter) is ever done, only abandoned. It's not if, it's when.

When is on it's way.....I guess the next one will need to be the perfect model, cuzz this one ain't.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2007, 05:57:38 PM »
Well I spent another day doing touch ups. It's amazing how much I missed first time around. Of course my new and brighter lights are contributing. And the opti-visor.

Hey I'm getting there!!
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2007, 12:54:22 PM »
>>When is on it's way.....I guess the next one will need to be the perfect model, cuzz this one ain't.<<

No plane ever is. I've seen some that were close. A few that were true masterpieces, but not a one that the builder couldn't find fault and need to improve next time. I think that with every plane. Well, I learned something and will apply it next time.

Corrected for typo
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:49:03 PM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2007, 01:48:07 PM »
Hi Randy------After yesterdays' bout of touch ups I'm a bit more pleased with the model. It won't be perfect but I do believe I won't need to make excuses for it either. I have the weekend off so I'll probably be ready for clear coats by Monday.

I discovered on this one that a little lite rubbing with a Venus pencil eraser will tale away overspray, lettuce edging on tape lines and even the thumb print I left on the rudder when I was removing masking that the paint hadn't dried on yet.

So.................
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »
Frank,

Yep, eventually you decide, that's good enough. Sounds as if you use the same gauge I do. "Will this plane embarrass me at the next contest?"

If the answer is yes, you go back to work. If it's no, then that just became "good enough".
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
Frank,

Yep, eventually you decide, that's good enough. Sounds as if you use the same gauge I do. "Will this plane embarrass me at the next contest?"

If the answer is yes, you go back to work. If it's no, then that just became "good enough".

Yup--you're right on the mark Randy. Good enuff is just around the corner.
If you look close you can see that I found a couple spots that need putty. They're close to a red stripe too. On this one everything is close to a red stripe.
I can't possibly figure or explain why making the plane pretty is so important. I know from your models that pretty is important to you too. But why? I mean when you look at contest pictures there are mostly ARFs and profiles or models with a stripe or two.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2007, 04:35:54 PM »
Frank, me boy,

"Makin' it purty" is a case of pride in Craftsmanship that was a long time mainstay of the American craftsman.  Some of us were raised with that type of teaching.  It is just a "part of us".

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2007, 04:50:03 PM »
Frank, me boy,

"Makin' it purty" is a case of pride in Craftsmanship that was a long time mainstay of the American craftsman.  Some of us were raised with that type of teaching.  It is just a "part of us".

Bill <><

You know Bill, I've often had people say "you have a lot of patience". That may be so but, I think also it's like you said. Our generation was trained to be craftsmen. It's a part of us and there just isn't any getting away from it. And there is just another plane waiting to get built anyway so why rush through this one and not try to make it better than the last?

The first stunt plane I ever saw was a Gerry Phelps Patriot. I really liked it a lot. I could have bought it but owning the model wasn't good enuff, I had to be able to make one.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2007, 05:25:55 PM »
You nailed it Frank!  And "PATIENCE" is not a trait that has been taught, on  consistent basis, for a long time!  Hence, ARF/ARC popularity.  Nothing wrong with them since there are many who would not take the time to build........ so they still get to fly.

BUT!  Go ahead, finsh what you're doing, and shoot the clear!!!!!!  LL~ LL~  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »
When the "patience" remark comes up, I always say that it's persistance and anticipation.
I'm willing to persist and do the work in anticipation of rendering an above average project. A lot of guys say I wish I could do that when they should be saying I wish I would do that.

O.K.--just a few more touch ups and some panel lines and I'll call it quits and shoot the clear.
Then I'll start a new plane.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:16 PM »
I get the same comments about patience all the time, I do restoration work on cars, and now do Cad coordination full time, its tedious and paintsaking work. I have NO patience,, I want it done, I suppose thats why I am always looking for more efficient ways to approach a process. to me, someone who does crosstitch or needlepoint, thats patience, when I am building, its focus and persistance, until I give up, then its time to fly the beast,,If I had patience, well I wouldnt ever finish a plane, or a project, I would be willing to keep going on it till it was perfect, which it aint ever gonna be,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2007, 04:58:40 AM »
well said Mark......
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2007, 07:20:23 AM »
I get the same comments about patience all the time, I do restoration work on cars, and now do Cad coordination full time, its tedious and paintsaking work. I have NO patience,, I want it done, I suppose thats why I am always looking for more efficient ways to approach a process. to me, someone who does crosstitch or needlepoint, thats patience, when I am building, its focus and persistance, until I give up, then its time to fly the beast,,If I had patience, well I wouldnt ever finish a plane, or a project, I would be willing to keep going on it till it was perfect, which it aint ever gonna be,,,

Hi Mark,
Completely off topic, but you mention needle point.  For some odd reason it struck my memory bank that Rosey Grier (all Pro, NFL Hall of Fame) who was a defensive tackle from the LA Rams does needle point.  Just ironic to me! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2007, 11:15:29 AM »
I did some work on a ladies house last week. Her mom does needlepoint. To perfection. She's got some work there that I would qualify as art. The woman is in her seventies, she has very beautiful hands. You can almost see the artist in them.

As for me.........I seem to have an endless capacity for cutting tape, masking areas, and spraying them. Yesterday I was touching up white spots, but today I thought I'd give myself a treat and touch up blue. I re-did the blue srtipe on the vertical fin. I like it a lot better now. Still have the other side to do. I also did touch ups in some small areas. I've observed that the harder the area is to work on the more likely I will have to do touch ups on that area.

I'm using a Campbell-Hausfeld cordless compressor and a Paasche airbrush with a #5 nozzle. The battery finally ran down so now I get a break while it recharges.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2007, 03:14:12 PM »
Someone said we are a generation that was trained to be craftsman and I suppose that's true. I figure, if it makes me happy, that's enough. Luckily, what makes me happy these days is in excess of what the judges will give good scores to. Which is why, I suppose, I'm never really happy with a plane's finish. 

I will say that at least some of that tenacity and drive to do a good job must be genetic. My son is a composer and is in a band. I've watched him work endlessly (it seems) on one project or another and slave over what seems to me are the most trifling details or playing the same sequence over a hundred times with the most microscopic changes. When I ask him about it, he says it will be done when he is happy with it...an he ain't happy yet.

I'd like to argue, but what can I say?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 08:51:19 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2007, 04:25:23 PM »
I suppose I'm genetically more easily pleased than you gents...is why my planes look the way they do.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »
I suppose I'm genetically more easily pleased than you gents...is why my planes look the way they do.

--Ray

That's a blessing Ray..........I'm doing all this work for a few seconds worth of glory.

Your planes are always very well built and finished Ray.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:31:22 PM by frank carlisle »
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:06 PM »
I'm sure every body already knows this but........................

One of the biggest problems with airbrushing is the nozzle getting clogged. The best way to get around this is to have one bottle filled with thinner and every time you're done spraying a color, immediately run thinner through the brush. The bottle in the picture with the airbrush on it is the thinner bottle.
You also need a board to test spray on before you try it on the plane. This gets the thinner out of the brush and gives you a chance to set the spray width to accomodate the area you want to cover.
Jelly jars make perfect containers that are easier to pour from than the cans the paint comes in.
It's all about having lots of bottles.

Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2007, 07:06:07 PM »
Captain's Log -- Stardate whatever...................

Have wrapped it up for the day. The Heat is nearing completion. Used another 6 yards of masking tape.
Note to self.........Use replicator for next plane.

Plane looks essentially the same as last dozen pictures, but it is cleaner. Tomorrow I will paint the red stripes into the stars and bars insignia and add paint detail to canopy.
Frank Carlisle

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2007, 08:01:25 PM »
On the craftsmanship comments, I learned an interesting lesson from a close friend a few years back. He and I have both been boat builders for most of our life. We both do work to a very high quality level both for ourselves and for customers. Its that same never ending search for perfection. One of the difficult things to determine as so many on this thread have commented is determining when you are done. My perspective changed dramatically one day when I visited Ron's shop.

He had just finished a custom decked solo canoe for a customer. One of Ron's specialties is taking a clear gel coated  carbon fiber & kevlar hull (carbon outside, kevlar inside) and rolling the side of the boat into a deck made of 3 inch wide strips of 150 year old Spanish Cedar. He always places an exterior edge of the board along each seam. The exterior side of the boards have oxidized over the century and a half since they were cut. The wood is bright orange, with dark red widely spaced grain, and the oxidized layer extends about 3/8 inch into the board and looks like it has been airbrushed a darker reddish brown. When its all varnished and the edge the the hull capped with a 1 1/2 wide gold kevlar tape they are breathtaking works. Ron's Varnish skills are consumate with his boatbuilding skills and the boats look dipped. They are obviously highly sought one off works of art to high skill canoeists.

The day I was in his shop the boat he had finished was, well, nice, but definately up to the level of finish in the varnish Ron normally did. I debated asking him about it but since we have been paddling partners for the better part of 15 years at the time and also worked together on a number of building projects I did ask him how come? His answer changed how I view my work. "You have to decide when to finish every project. To know when you are done you have to know your customer." My response was a befuttled "excuse me." He explained that the customer was a deep wilderness paddler whose normal trip was 30 to 45 days thru the Canadian bush. His idea of a portage trail was one he cut with the 24 inch machette he always carried with him. He wanted a decked boat to decrease the effect of wind on large lakes and keep gear dry during the rains he encountered without having to unrig a snap on cloth deck. The boat was going to be bushwacked through some of the roughest terrain in North America and no way would the boat or deck come out unscathed at all. He told me if he had done his normal museum level finish the customer would have been appreciative but would have bemoaned the damage he would do to it and would in all liklihood not take the boat on the trips he had commissioned it for. The way the customer had a very nice boat that would suit his purpose and he would use it as intended. I asked Ron how he felt about it. He was exstatic with how it turned out. He built it to the use and intent of his customer. I spoke with the man years later. The boat had indeed been beaten up pretty good. He was tremendously proud of it and had enjoyed it immensly.

Maybe in our building and finishing we need to decide who the customer is. Us, a judge, someone looking at our plane, the people we fly with? I have found it much easier to decide when I am done ever since this experience, whether its something for a customer, or myself.

Bob Branch

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »
That's a great story Bob.
I guess my customer would be the guys I'll be flying with. I won't be bushwhacking through the wilderness with it.(Although getting it through doorways and in and out of cars is quite treacherous). And the surface I'll be taking off and landing on will be either concrete, macadam or closely mown turf. I guess I'll go for shiney.
I'd sure like to see a picture of a canoe or two that you built.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2007, 09:09:59 PM »
Bob,

In my case, the customer is me. While I certainly want to have a plane that is presentable at a contest, in the end, I'm the only one I have to make happy. I've built several planes that I was more or less pleased with. A couple that were really pretty good finishes and garnered points at contests (my personal high is 19 points). I've yet to build a plane that, when completed, I could say, well, that's as good as I can do. A couple have been close. I feel my Masterpiece (defined as the best work I can do) is yet to come. Hope so, anyway.

As an aside, I find it odd that I sort of know when a plane is going to be a good one when I'm drawing it. Every so often, I get a sort of vision of the plane when it will be completed. Usually comes with a complete finish already visualized. That happened with the plane I just started. I already know exactly how I will paint and how. Even have the paint process (as far as do this and then do this) figured out. This may be The One!   <=   or not   HB~>
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »
Go Randy Go................I think this next one will be what? The third one for you in the last year??

I'll be watching for pics.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2007, 09:22:03 PM »
The new one is sort of a Dangerous on steroids.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2007, 09:56:44 PM »
Randy

That's good! You know its you and you have decided what you want as a result. I know that sort of sounds obvious, but it did create a paradigm shift for me. I decided for my recreations I no longer needed perfection. I've spent so many hours working at it I find that now i don't need it for myself. I have changed to more enjoyment of doing rather than creating. My hats off to folks striving for perfection. There are still things I do it in, but they are all in my vocation now. In my recreations now I'm more into a relaxed appreciation. But that is "my" customer. I love to see the work of folks striving for perfection. I remember thinking at one point in my life that I had attained it in my boatbuilding. Then I went to the EAA Oshkosh Flyin and Airshow for the first time and saw the joints in some of the wood aircraft. ... It was humbling. In some of them only way you could identify a joint was by a change in the direction of the grain. Sigh.  HB~>

Bob

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2007, 12:26:23 AM »
Bob,

I know that feeling. I get it every time I go to the NW Regionals and look at the flight line.  ~^
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2007, 04:35:55 AM »
Once a long time ago I had a plane I was really proud of. It wound up in the 13th row at the Nats. I guess in some ponds a person is a trophy fish and in others a bottom feeder. Or worse yet....chum.
Same with the flying.
I am grateful that there are no ugly fish. AND........I can easily live with being thrown back in rather than being mounted on a plaque.

Of course I'm not a fish...........So I'll be spending another weekend working on a model plane and dreaming of being in the front row.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2007, 07:45:48 AM »
Bob, Randy, Frank.........

I have enjoyed reading this thread (of late!).  It has pointed out what makes us tick as far as how we build and finish.

As far as the "Masterpiece", Randy, that is never done in our lifetime.  Like the great artists in history, they are only recognised as such once we are gone!

We will always strive to make the next one better.....

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2007, 10:05:31 AM »
Three hours in and I'm ready to shoot paint.........

WHY IS IT CALLED - COCKPIT?

Bill---does "of late" mean that you haven't been entertained by the rest of it?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2007, 10:23:38 AM »
(snip)
Bill---does "of late" mean that you haven't been entertained by the rest of it?

LOL!!!!!!  No Frank, it was just this "twist" about the "workmanship/craftsmanship" that recently peaked my interest in a different way.

The LA Heat has been fascinating to watch develop, it has just been SO LONG a time spread!  LL~

I love to see your work, it is top drawer.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2007, 10:30:09 AM »
That's a relief.

It's something how each of us has a different notion/reason for doing it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »
That's a relief.

It's something how each of us has a different notion/reason for doing it.

Actually, it's all the same, we love it!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2007, 02:11:42 PM »
This really bites the big one!!!! I spent all those hours masking the canopy and getting everything just such and so.........
and the dang paint didn't stick!! HB~>

And now, when I was so close to being done I have a big boo boo to fix. I know you told me so Randy, but I had this vision of the coolest canopy in the history of stuntdom. Dang,Darn,Shoot!!! HB~>

I ain't givin' up!! This little no good ####### isn't going to ##########beat me at my own######game!!### # ## #####and I ######mean it!!!!!!!#####..... HB~>

Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2007, 08:26:29 PM »
Somehow it's comforting to know I'm not the only one that ever has masking/paint problems. Remember this little disappointment?
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2007, 04:11:02 AM »
Oh yes I remember this one. The Sharpie saved the day and we all learned that there is salvation in even the most dire circumstaces. The outline did the trick. It was a great save on your part.

I puttied up the canopy yesterday evening as I had found that there was a seperation line that became glaringly apparent after I unmasked the canopy. Today I'll take another crack at it.

Doesn't it seem like the bad stuff always happens where it can be seen and always near the end of the project?

Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2007, 06:31:21 AM »
Better to catch it/fix it now, than to be bothered by it every time you look at the plane for the rest of its life.  Put out the effort now, and you'll be proud of it every time you look at it instead!  And that, by the way, my friend Frank, is a plane to be justly proud of.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: April 08, 2007, 06:48:05 AM »
Why thank you Ray.............yup I'll just keep putting away at it...at some point it will be ready to fly....I've been sanding the red stuff off of it this morning...today I can mask it off and give it another go......one thing for sure is it will have less flaws than before.......my, my so much fun........

Frank Carlisle

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
Frank

You just need to turn down the presurization differential to the cockpit. That way you will not blow it open.

Bob

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2007, 10:49:33 AM »
in my haste to build this model I did not install pressurization differential module.....I reasoned that since max altitude obtained would be 70 feet I could do without it. In the future precognition and forewarning would be greatfully appreciated.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
Frank,

I assume you're shooting dope. The paint probably didn't stick because you were too diligent in sanding it. You may need to rough up the area of the canopy you are painting and perhaps put a small amount of primer on there.

Good luck. It's this nonsense at the very end that is always frustrating and prompts us to say, that's good enough. I'll just shoot clear on the silly thing and be done. Good on you for hanging in there.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »
Hey Randy-----

I've wet sanded the red stuff and the canopy with 400 grit paper. Naturally after I'd sanded it all down smooth there were still a couple spots that demanded more attention and putty. I'm waiting for it to dry and then I'll rub it some more.
I'm really good at doing something over and over and over again, so I'm going to mask it off again and try for the detail I want. I've got all day.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »
Frank,

Might want to look at 320 for sanding so that you leave a little tooth for the paint to adhere to.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2007, 05:11:43 AM »
That's a good idea. I'd still have to get it down to a much finer grit after it's painted. At 400 it stays foggy even with clear on it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2007, 06:50:47 AM »
That's a good idea. I'd still have to get it down to a much finer grit after it's painted. At 400 it stays foggy even with clear on it.

600-800 on the clear areas has always seemed to do fine before shooting the clear since we "rub out" the clear afterwards.  I have gone to 2000 on the clear areas first, but I don't anymore.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2007, 11:22:55 AM »
Just got back from a weekend with my parents,, long long weekend, I just quit smoking last week and my dad still smokes, ,grrrrr, wanna talk about patience?
anyway, my perspective is again changed, I need to quit making pretty planes for now, I lost my practice ship to a flameout, now I only have my contest ship to fly, and for a rookie this aint good! so I guess I need to just succumb to logic and throw together a couple well built hashed up monokote planes instead of painting them,, sigh,, its so against my nature but ,, well I guess ,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2007, 10:10:56 PM »
Mark,

This is the reason ARFs were made (in my opinion). Get a Tutor ARF or whatever (Cardinal, Oriental, your choice) and fly the poop out of it. Save those gorgeous paint jobs for when you feel comfortable. Wish you were here (or I was there). We could fly together. Coaching really helps move things along.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2007, 10:25:43 PM »
Mark,

This is the reason ARFs were made (in my opinion). Get a Tutor ARF or whatever (Cardinal, Oriental, your choice) and fly the poop out of it. Save those gorgeous paint jobs for when you feel comfortable. Wish you were here (or I was there). We could fly together. Coaching really helps move things along.

Hi Mark,

I agree with Randy!  But, then again, that happens a lot. y1  The ARF/ARC is a great tool to get a lot of "comfortable" flights with.  The "emotional attachment" just isn't the same.

On the other topic of "COACHING", it is necessary, and I just WISH I had someone to fly with!  **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:22 AM »
Frank,
The heat is looking good, but it still will not fit in your truck!!!! LL~
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: April 15, 2007, 09:00:58 AM »
It might fit in my truch after I stomp it into the ground Paul.........

For some reason (ineptitude?) I just can't seem to get this right!! I've just gotten done painting the canopy area for the second time. First time I tried to be fancy and the paint came off with the tape. AAaargh!! Had to putty sand etc.

This time I managed to get paint where I didn't want it to go. I'm feeling very much the amateur today.,, HB~>

I didn't even see that the masking had pulled away......not till too late anyway.
Frank Carlisle

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #149 on: April 15, 2007, 09:09:33 AM »
I mean.................just look at that!!! Can it get any worse????????????? HB~>
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here