Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Mounting landing gear in a foam wing

<< < (8/8)

Mike Ferguson:
Actually, your timing for this (at least for me) is perfect, Bob. Thank you. :)

And for that matter, thanks for all the "how-to" posts and guides for building that you've put together over the past few years. It's made my slow-but-steady most recent build a lot less frustrating and a lot more rewarding.

Bill Johnson:
Anther "Thanks" to Bob for the great tutorial. This should be a "sticky".

Steve Helmick:
I agree, this topic would be a good one to "sticky" at the top. Who could do that? Hmmmm. Sparky, Randy, or maybe Bill Little?

I was wondering about putting a "plug-in" wire gear into either a foam or built-up structure, the way the the Ukrainians and others do. All I've got is a picture of Mike Haverly's plug-in tailwheel strut (see picture). I was thinking it would fit nicely against the spars and cause less interference with leadouts, tho you'd still want some plywood ribs to spread the load into the LE sheeting and LE cap, if one is used. The nicest thing is that you'd have a spanwise slot in the LE sheeting instead of the chordwise slot as I've seen in Eastern European stunters. It even might be possible to put some torsion bar in it, somehow, but I'm looking for ideas. And maybe instead of wire...molded CF?  ???  Steve

Target:
I have a question for Bob or any of you that think you can answer it (I hope its not too obvious, but I'm tired tonight!).
Why is the balsa block that holds down and boxes in the main landing gear mount plate wider at the wing inboard end than at the outboard end? I'm just curious if there is a structural reason for that? Because of more twisting force imparted?
I also am wondering if the main plate is "Lite Ply". It looks to be 1/8" light ply, with basswood strips forming the slot.
Last question is what thickness and material is the inner plate that bolts in. It looks like thinner regular ply to me, maybe 1/16" or 3/32" thick.

Thanks! That is an awesome picture essay.
Bob brings up a great point about documenting build. Not only are they useful for others, I have found them to be helpful to my own (RC) projects that I might sideline for a 2-3 year period. When I bring them out, if I have a build thread going, I just look back and refresh myself with what the plan was. Especially helpful with sheeted/v-bagged foam cores that later have servos to be installed in specific places.

R,
Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version