News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:38:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting engines  (Read 1141 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mounting engines
« on: December 19, 2019, 07:29:23 PM »
In recent years I have been using metal plates under the engine lugs to get more bearing surface and not dig into the mounting surface of a plane.  Then it hit me, since I'm mounting the engines to plates now or the plates to the engine, why not make them so I can use different engines on a plane by just removing four screws to change the engine plate.   Some of my engine even though they are the same displacement have slight differences in mounting pattern.  So first off I got a strip of aluminum.  I wanted 1/8 X 1/4 but all my local Ace Hardware had was 1/8 X 3/4.   So I leave with a strip 4 foot long.   Using my band saw I rip it down the middle.  Then I cut the strips into 2 inch pieces.  I glue the piece to the engine lugs allowing for the area to drill for mounting to the plane.

After marking the aluminum pieces I break them loose from the engine,, be sure to mark the pieces as to which side of the engine, the top side and the front.  Once drilled turn them over and use a chamfering bit to allow the flat head screws to be flush.  I use 4-40 flat head screw with nuts with nylon insert to hold it all together.   Last thing is to mark and drill the ends of the plates for mounting to the plane.  Now to get the pictures in order. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mounting engines
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:32:48 PM »
These are the two engines that will be interchangable on my new plane.   One has plates threaded and the other like previous post. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 08:19:58 PM »
Hey, Doc--that'll do 'er!

We do this quite frequently on racing planes--which I suspect you are doing here, otherwise, why the Nagmum Bloohead? (Putting your parts on top of a Fury box is some neat misdirection, though)

Most times, we use 3/16" thick pads and thread them. Some 2024-T6 works nicely. Then the pad-holder bolts are countersunk to get them out of the way of the engine lugs.

My only reservation about the Home Depot and similar aluminum is that it is generally not very high alloy and therefore not that strong. You have eliminated the biggest issue with it since you are not trying to thread it, at least on one of your installations. If you have an Ace Hardware that stocks aircraft grade aluminum, I may start thinking about moving to the Jayhawk state.

Divot McSlow

PS--Gonna need to shorten up the needle on that Nagmum or yur gonna break it off wit' cher flippy finger....

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 08:28:10 AM »
Good way to adjust engine offset if necessary.

Simply change the aluminum drilled for the selected offset.

Genius.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 04:11:13 PM »
What you have there will probably work OK but I would keep an eye on things.  The 1/8 thick stock is thinner than I would prefer and after countersinking, there is not much material left.  The edge distance is also a bit short.  As stated in a previous post, if you are not tapping holes that will help but the aluminum stock found in hardware/home improvement stores is usually in an annealed condition and not very strong.

I mount engines in a similar fashion but I attach the engine to the plates by tapping holes in 1/4 inch thick 2024 alloy from McMaster Carr.  There is quite a selection there for thickness, width, material, etc.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 05:01:41 PM »
So far I have been lucky I guess.  I know counter sinking holes didn't look good until I tried to over tighten the socket head screws, even on the Ones I tapped.D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Walter Hicks

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 08:51:40 PM »
I have been using 1/8 thick aluminum in a U shape tapped for the engine mounting for years , This includes Saito 62, Ro Jett 67 , La .46 , and others.
Never had a problem with engine mounting screws coming loose . the U shape is attached to the fuse /motor mounts with 4,  4/40 screws inserted in to
the brass inserts . Never had a problem , I use the blue loc tite on the screws .

Offline Joe Ed Pederson

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 12:17:33 PM »
I get my aluminum motor pads from Tom Morrison.  For fifty cents each he sells the following sizes: 1/16" x 3/8" x 2", 1/8" x 3/8" x 2" and 1/8" x 1/2" x 2. "
 For fifty cents each he sells Phenolic Motor pads: 1/8" x 3/8" x 2", 1/8" x 1/2" x 2".      He also sells a phenolic Motor pad.

You can order them on Tom's website "Stunt hanger Hobbyshop" at the top of the Stunthanger webpage "

Joe Ed Pederson
Cuba, MO

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 01:08:55 PM »
I still have a couple of engine pads/mounts that Brodak had.  Yes they were for 35 size engine with off set molded in.  Need to look and see if he still has them.  They were U shaped. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here