News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mounting Electric Build on Traditional Rotating Paint Stand  (Read 923 times)

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Mounting Electric Build on Traditional Rotating Paint Stand
« on: November 03, 2022, 08:37:10 AM »
For years I’ve been using the traditional rotisserie paint stand. This is a threaded rod with an aluminum block that bolts do a workbench or a stand on one end and an aluminum block the bolts to the four engine mount bolts on the other.

I don’t remember who made them but I think we’re all familiar.

My question is for an electric model, with either a front or rear mount motor, has,anyone solved the problem of mounting this type of model on a rotisserie for painting and other maintenance?

Thanks,

Bruce

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mounting Electric Build on Traditional Rotating Paint Stand
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 10:57:24 AM »
    Hi Bruce;
   Have you searched this out on here? I\m pretty sure this has been asked before. To me, the obvious answer is to do it just like you did with an IC model, but with a dummy radial mount to fit the motor mounts. A rear mount set up would be easy, just like mounting the motor. For a front mounted motor. I think a two piece approach with some sort of "X" that attaches to the plane's motor mounts, and then uses a center bolt to attach that to a rod like you have used before. I would need the model in question right in front of me to get more specific, but I think you get the picture. I would start with a really heavy duty replica of your motor mounting bracket and go from there. Where it would attach to to the bigger rod would need to be pretty stout and solid also.. Then just hold it in the stand or connected to whatever you did before.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 11:11:22 AM »
Thanks, Dan.  I assumed that would be the way but an electric engine mount is not nearly and robust as an IC mount.  I’d hate to damage the front end by hanging the entire model by the mounting bulkhead.  May not be an issue but I thought I’d ask for experiences before I tried. 

Edit.  I did just do a quick search.  There are a few examples but folks had issues as well. Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:05:19 PM by Bruce Shipp »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 12:22:20 PM »
I have tried it on two ships with mixed results.  On the rear mount I just took a mounting "X" and bolted a large dowel to it in the center.  Worked OK but I was always worried about the stress w/o the beams.  I resorted propping it up nose down in a vice.  It is a "through the firewall mount which screws into the plywood doublers so I doubt it would have been weak .... but.   On the other I used the Okie printed mount and it did just fine the convectional way using the same "X" and dowel.  Pictures are of plane #1. 
Since I am in a no spray paint zone now, I will be using monokote and won't need the stand.

Ken
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:40:30 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 12:43:50 PM »
PTG built in an additional carbon fiber honeycomb bulkhead  near the wing LE, and then put a shaft through the firewall and the bulkhead that held it in the stand. Remove the shaft and you have a 1/4 ounce extra stiffener left behind.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here