News:

• May 22, 2024, 10:47:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need help!  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Need help!
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:14:14 AM »
Can someone please post a proven way to snap out of a funk, or slump, or whatever you want to call it!  I got to get back to work! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
Re: Need help!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Massive amounts of caffeine and vitamin b complex. Get up earlier than you have been. And laugh more often. Works for me. :! D>K D>K LL~
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »
Here is what works for me. What ever project I am involved in when I get bored or lose interest, I just try to forget about the project and spend at least one day (two is even better) doing the most boring thing I can think of. I find that after I am just about bored to death I begin to think how much more fun it would be to be working on the project. I mentally start back to work on it. When I get home I start doing what I had thought about earlier.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:00:08 AM »
Massive amounts of caffeine and vitamin b complex. Get up earlier than you have been. And laugh more often. Works for me. :! D>K D>K LL~

**) **) **) **)

Well, I can't do the massive amounts of caffine..........:(  it plays havoc with my diabetes!  **) **)

And getting up earlier won't help much.......... I still have to go to work.......

We will be out of school in three weeks, and I *think* my funk will be taken care of then.  At least I hope so................. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:03:05 AM »
" wake up honey!"

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
" wake up honey!"

At my age.
"Go back to sleep honey"

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:55:07 AM »
Often, the cause of a building funk is that we either, 1, arrive at a point in construction where we are not sure of the best way to proceed, or, 2, don't particularly like the design, or the task needing to be done. It isn't often the excuse we give, "I'm just too busy."

I have a plane on the building board, going on two years now. I have lost interest because I'm not really a fan of the design, and I fear it'll finish up too heavy and be a dog. For the second reason, I should just get in there and lighten up the framework. It could be done easily, but, because I'm not really a fan of the design, I don't spend the time on it, so there it sits. I've built three planes, while this design has been sitting there.

If the problem was that I wasn't real sure of the best way to proceed, I could seek suggestions from friends, both in person, and online at the several forums. Still, After laying off, I might need a slap in the rear to get back on the project.

So, after that buildup, what can we do, additionally, to get re-energised?

See, we often convince ourselves that we're just too busy, rather than recognise the real reasons, All of us can find 15 minutes each day to do something other than our work. Right?

So, here's the drill. Make a pact with yourself to spend at least 15 minutes a day with your project. It might be hard, or boring, or frustrating at first, but, eventually you'll work your way through the cause of the funk. Eventually, you'll see that progress is being made. You'll see that you're past the problem area, and are spending a lot more time, and enjoying it again. You might even be suprized that instead of 15 minutes, it's becoming an hour and a half spent in the shop.

Discipline is the key. You've got 15 minutes to build each day. just do it.

Best wishes,

John Miller

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
Hi John,

Good ideas.  My problem is probably just a lack of enthusiasm for building right now.  It's been going on for several months! ;D  I just can't do anything in the shop..................  not at an impass for what to do, not a lack of liking the designs, just get to the bench and look at things for a while, maybe glue or sand something then leave.

Not good................

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:44:54 AM »
Well my solution may not work for all, (ok so its not really planned but hey it works!) Simply crash all your airworthy airframes and not be able to fly, it sure got me motivated to do some building,, especially with contests around the corner! HB~> :(
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »
Well, this'll generate at least a couple of, "Boo! Hiss!" responses, but if you go crash a couple of planes, so you really need to complete a new one . . .
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »
Not an option! **) **) **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:00:45 PM »
VIDEO FOOTAGE!!!!! When I'm in a slump and have no intrest in building i look at either brodaks or the nats on tape and when i see all these beautiful aircraft i say to my self man i gotta finish that plane so i can practice to get there!. Before i know it I'm spending 6-8 hours a day in the shop
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »

"Billy Boy"

HOW BOUT A GOOD SWIFT KICK IN THE  ------------------------------- ? It works for me.

"Billy G"   BW@ BW@ BW@ BW@       010! 010! 010!
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Chris Brainard

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 04:42:04 PM »
I pretty much do the same as John Miller. I make a simple goal, for example, tonight I'm going to make patterns for the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. Something simple that can be done in a short time. I find that actually accomplishing the task I've set for myself energizes me and before I know it I'm looking at my watch and thinking, cr*p, I got to get to bed so I can get up to go to work in 5 hours! Usually, by then I don't want to quit working.
Chris

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 08:20:39 PM »
I went into my shop some years ago. Got busy doing somethin' or other, and about the time I finished, I looked around and realized that the lighting was terrible; very hard to see for detail work...no wonder I don't like being in here very much. Went to plug in another light or two, and guess what? No handy electrical outlets. So, I got busy and put in a bunch of lights and electrical outlets. Next time I went into the shop, I decided it was too cluttered, so put up a bunch of pegboard and hooks to hang hardware and stuff to keep it available and easy to find. Put a sheet of plywood up against the floor joists for hiding rifles and storing fishing rods.  Then I put up another sheet of plywood as a very high shelf for dry storage of kits and balsa stash.

But it's still cluttered, because my future  mw~ ex-wife keeps piling stuff in there when I'm not looking. One of these days.......to the moon!  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
Bill,

This may work for you, it did for me when I was building my Intrepid.  Commit yourself to spending at least
one hour a day to building the airplane.  As you say, school ending will be helpful.  Of course I need to
make that commitment with myself again as well..... HB~>

Jim Pollock   ;D

Offline raglafart

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 11:35:55 PM »
Hey Bill
Get your thyroid gland checked out first! I have to take 200 micrograms of oroxine daily for a hypo active (slow) thyroid gland. I've never had the same drive and vitality as I had before the problems with my thyroid.
One thing that I have found to improve my enthusiasm and get up and go is 4-6 weekly shots of B12 vitamin. I get it from the Chemist and my doctor then gives me the injection. It costs about US $10.00 for 2 shots so it's not expensive.
Check with your doctor to see if will interfere with your diabetes, but worth a look if you are struggling to get the enthusiasm cells firing. Takes a week or two before you suddenly find yourself looking to get on with more than you usually do!
Cheers John
John Goodwin

AUS 21261

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 06:56:35 AM »
Hi John,

That is a definite possibility!  I will have to look into hypothyroidism.   The diabetes is somewaht under control it seems, now.  Still a *touch* high, but not on insulin shots.

It is not like "depression", I know all to well about that, but it is something, and I cannot tell what "IT" is! ;D

At the present time, I like the IDEA of building and finishing something, but no actual DESIRE to do it!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
Sounds like lazyness to me. Probably enough going on at the moment where constructing stuff seems too much like work. Other things easier and less mentally of physically taxing seem more attractive. For everyone there comes a stage of building that they do not like. So if you have enough real life stuff going on tackling a chore on a model that you really do not care for you rather relax with something else.

There is a way around this hump. That is to make the place you need to do the work in as comfortable as possible. If it means moving a couch in there, or TV etc you do it. Me I used to bring the work up, into the living space (Wife not happy but I kept it neat) Found that by sitting on the couch, watching TV and sanding or cutting trim etc, even if it was during commercials, I got through the parts I did not enjoy.

Obviously if you do not have to drag the potentially messy work into the dining room dont, make the work space as much like you fav part of the house you can. Then just go there to watch TV, get on the puter etc, and while there you will find yourself picking up and finishing stuff almost without realizing it.

Call it productive distraction if you will. Pretty soon you find that you are missing your favorite show because your attention is focused on what you are doing, but you still hear the TV or scan the puter or doing something that you enjoy better than the modeling task at hand.

The mind is a peculiar thing and sometimes you have to approach things sideways.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 05:36:31 AM »
After further review...........  I think it is really related to the fact that with all the great days we have had that were meant for flying, I have not been able to fly since last October.  Flying has always fueled my desire, I guess!  I mean, we build these things to FLY, right??

Well, I am (hopefully) going to get to fly all day today (Saturday, 5/12) so maybe that will be the impetus I need to finish up some projects!  I will see if that is actually the spark I need to get the fire raging again.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2007, 05:48:31 AM »

I STILL SAY A GOOD SWIFT KICK IN THE -------------- WILL WORK JUST FINE !

"Billy G"   na# na# na#
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Ted Winterman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2007, 09:16:18 AM »

Biill,

I'm going through the same syndrome. I'm luckey if I can build for an hour. I'm also having
the same problem going to the field to fly. I hope time will take me through this funk!

Ted   HB~>

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Bill, Last time I got building burnout, I got a Cardinal AFR and just went out and few it for a month. Not thinking about finishing what I had to do on my latest build project. Cardinal flew OK with only engine mount mods, Have flown it enough to cause me to want a new plane to fly. That got me back on building.
Change of pace and just enjoying flying may help ya. So forget about building and get that part of your head processor rebooted.
Hope any or all of the other folks suggestions help.
Kick back and smell the castor.
Jerry
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 06:47:20 PM by Jerry Bohn »
Jerry Bohn

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »
Got a *little* help today!  I went up to Winston Salem with my flying buddy from around here.  Met several guys who I only knew through the internet, and had a great time!  Oh, yeah, I did fly............;D  Makes me feel more like actually doing something now in the shop. y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »
spend a butt load of money on electric RC Helis. then smash them constantly........get the wife annoyed enough to say " You should just stick to the planes" and go from there....

worked for me
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 03:11:26 PM »
Well I just needed a *little* attitude adjustment.  I just got tired of building something that I might not get to fly for 6 months or more!  And then for only 5 or 6 flights, or even less.....  Not having a flying site or someone to fly with really gets old.  As much as I enjoy the hobby, if I can't participate it just gets to be too much trouble to build! 

I fly in Advanced, and could fly a real good pattern at one time.  Now all my flights come at a contest site.  You cannot stay in this with that kind of schedule.......................frustration is what it is all about is I guess!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here