Blank

« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 08:16:34 PM by Air Master »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Monokoting over stained balsa
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »
   Try some M.E.K. very carefully, or some paint remover dabbed on and let soak. Then wash that clean with the acetone again. With anything you use, you will have to block sand the grain back down again. I prefer SIG Stix-It, but you may try some yellow dye in the balsarite to see if it will mix in and tint the adhesive.
  Good luck with it,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
   I wouldn't paint it. Even Balsarite and Stix-it don't help much on a slick painted surface. Post a picture of it if you can. You might try sanding it until you cut through it, then laminate a section of 1/32"  over the area to bring back the thickness and even out the color.  Anything that will work is going to take some work.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:31:16 AM »
https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/model-lite-balsa-filler-balsa-brown-240cc/DLMBD6.html

A light sanding and then a thin application of something like this, with a little sanding afterwards, should help cover the remaining color.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 01:47:15 PM »
If the stain is leftover adhesive you can use a heat gun to soften it and draw it out of the wood then scrape it off with a single edge razor.  Is the yellow translucent or opaque? You can paint over the remaining color with a light enough color to hide it for opaque.  For translucent you will probably have to mix a color that matched the balsa.  I am surprised that acetone didn't take it off.  That is what I use when I overheat trim and it bleeds.  Whatever you do though keep in mind that the heat from the new covering will probably melt whatever is left and bring it to the surface .. hence - test it.

Good Luck - Don't forget the "It is part of my trim scheme..." excuse LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 05:28:17 PM »
Or just cover it howevever and build a nice clean new model. We seem to spend a lot of anguish restoring junk when a new model goes together so cleanly now a days. Laser cutting and jigs have reduced the pain and added accuracy undreamed of in the days of what we try to salvage. Make it fly able and move on!
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here