News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:01:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Monocote Adhesion to Butyrate Dope Surface  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Monocote Adhesion to Butyrate Dope Surface
« on: May 01, 2023, 02:27:29 PM »
I am planning to recover a wing w/new Monocote on a Shoestring profile model. On the wing sheeting near the fuselage, the new plastic covering will overlap a small area of painted surface (butyrate dope).

My understanding is that Monocote adheres best to bare wood. How should I prepare the painted surface to accept the Monocote covering. My plan is to lightly sand off most of the old paint, but is there a recommended product I should also use to treat the previously painted surface to obtain best adhesion results.

Thx in advance for any suggestions.

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
Re: Monocote Adhesion to Butyrate Dope Surface
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 02:32:44 PM »
I am planning to recover a wing w/new Monocote on a Shoestring profile model. On the wing sheeting near the fuselage, the new plastic covering will overlap a small area of painted surface (butyrate dope).

My understanding is that Monocote adheres best to bare wood. How should I prepare the painted surface to accept the Monocote covering. My plan is to lightly sand off most of the old paint, but is there a recommended product I should also use to treat the previously painted surface to obtain best adhesion results.

Thx in advance for any suggestions.

I just realized I should have placed this post in the painting section.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 06:52:45 PM »
  Well, might as well answer anyway.  I would carefully block sand the old paint as close to the wood as you can get. using a block will be most effective. Take it right up to the fuselage. Then get some SIG Stix-It, or Balsa -Rite and give the last inch  towards the fuselage a good coat of it, and fine sand that also just to remove any bumps. recoat if necessary. Then apply your wing covering and get the edge to within 1/8" of the fuselage. If you plan to repaint the fuselage, now is the time to apply the fillets, and have them overlap the covering to seal that edge down against fuel creeping underneath it. About 1/8" to 3/16" will do, or whatever looks right to you. When painting the model, you can mask off the wing covering along the bottom of the fillet. I make fillet material from finish cure epoxy and micro balloons and you can search out that method and the Super-Fil product also here on the forum. If not that concerned with looks, run the covering right up to the fuselage and then run a small epoxy fillet along the edge and let that overlap the edge. The key here is having something overlap the edge of the wing covering. Sometimes I just use silicone caulk as a fillet if strength at the wing/fuselage joint is sufficient. It holds up well to fuel and exhaust goo. It even comes in different colors now also.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 01:25:16 PM »
Thank you Dan

Tower Hobbies carries a product called Cover-Grip. Upon reading seems like it's similar to Balsa-Rite to enhance covering adhesion.

Ever used Cover-Grip?

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 03:35:59 PM »
     Never used that product. I have always preferred SIG Stix-It over Coverite's two products. Coverite make their original for film and then came out with one for woven materials. SIG is apparently still selling off stock on hand, so if it's still on their web site, you might want to give them a call. You won't need much, so maybe just borrow some from a flying buddy. They are all heat activated adhesives, but a can of any will last you a long time.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 09:19:43 AM »
Thx Dan

I won't be purchasing anything more from SIG. I ordered (and paid for) a few items like 8 months ago and still have not received them. If they could not fulfill the order, they should not have accepted my money. I won't do business with a company like that.

I will try one of the other products on my recover project.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 10:46:44 AM »
Thx Dan

I won't be purchasing anything more from SIG. I ordered (and paid for) a few items like 8 months ago and still have not received them. If they could not fulfill the order, they should not have accepted my money. I won't do business with a company like that.

I will try one of the other products on my recover project.

Have you tried calling them? For a long time it has been warned about ordering things on line, and if you see something on their website, call and place the order. nothing has come to light about where they are in this move, bur it appears  that their web site has been updated a little bit, and shows many items as "Sold Out", not as out of stock. I had seen on FB where some guys have ordered certain kits and gotten them, but when asked if they ordered by phone or on line, they never answer. The building is up for sale and there was an auction of the contents and company assets in April. None of this has been done in secret and has been discussed here a lot and on FB. It looks like they are still selling off stock on hand, but where from is the question. give them a call about your previous order, If you can buy or borrow some Stix-It from some one else, I would still use it as I think it's a better product.
    Type at you later,
      Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 12:37:32 PM »
I have not called, but emailed Becky many times. Her response has always been 'out of stock'.

I am DONE w/ SIG!!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here