News:

• April 20, 2024, 09:00:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine position  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Engine position
« on: December 18, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »
Hello,
I am building a Cougar (plans say designed by TJW Stoker) and in keeping with the period I have a Glo Chief 29 for it. It is an Aussie engine.

The problem I have is the plans show an AM 35 and the engine I have is nearly 1" longer than the plan shows.

Should I move F1 back to make my engine fit? Is that the best thing for aerodynamics and still being, "Classic", legal? Or should I stretch the fuselage? But then what happens to CG etc.?

Thanks
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Engine position
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:57:43 AM »
Don't know about how this engine will do in this plane, but as far as Classic legal; as long as the exterior appearance is the same as the original, it's legal. Moving the bulkhead back should effect that.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »
What is the weight difference between the two engines?

How much fuel will each take?

You can calculate how much to move the heavier engine to get back to the same moment as the original engine had--assuming that the plane naturally balances with that engine, tank, and wood/finish.

The usual bind people get into is putting a bigger, heavier engine into an older plane but also needing a bigger tank to feed it. Unless the design has a lot of spare room you could get squeezed in both directions.

I doubt you would ever tell a difference in aerodynamics if the nose was an inch longer or shorter. If you want to read about a controlled experiment in which this was tested, go find a copy of Ted Fancher's column where he described the test he ran, I believe on an Imitation? It was the multi-adjustable profile plane.

The Divot

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 11:53:20 PM »
Thanks for the response guys.

From web search my chosen engine, the one I have, is twice as heavy as that pictured on the plan but produces twice as power.

Fuel usage is still to be determined but I can modify the tank area as necessary.

Thanks
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 01:46:52 AM »
If it is twice as heavy, you'll probably want to move it back as far as you can, even if you have to make a custom tank system. If the old engine was rear intake that indicates things might not be quite so badly mismatched. Think in terms of where the CG of each engine is. The CG of the more modern, longer engine may be further back than simply looking are the prop location would indicate. Still, I hope there is plenty of wing area to carry twice the engine...because it sounds like you are going to need tailweight....

Hopefully, you won't have to resorting to cutting the leading edge carry-thru to make room for the tank. If you do, then you will have to beef up the main spar to carry the full load.

I assume this plane is not the Kenhi (Hi Johnson) Cougar design...?

Dave

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 02:30:24 AM »
The plans say TJW Stoker is the designer. I don't think it is anything like the Kenhi Cougar as my wing is only 45".

I may have miss spoken saying Classic. It is a 1958 design with a 1958 engine. I am a novice so perhaps it is Old Time? But then it may be different in Australia as well.

I still have to see if this old engine will run and then hold a needle. I fly the planes I build so if it won't do it I will have to find one that will. Then I can settle on tank size and position.

The plans show a diesel with the all around exhaust. So not rear exhaust.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »

I may have miss spoken saying Classic. It is a 1958 design with a 1958 engine. I am a novice so perhaps it is Old Time? But then it may be different in Australia as well.

OTS cutoff date is December, 1952.  Classic is anything prior to December, 1969.

Keith

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
Craig,

If you are already a diesel kind of guy, this won't be news, so my apologies.

Diesels are known for being quite economical on fuel quantity. (Not necessarily cheaper to run--certainly not in the USA where ether is practically liquid gold.)  That means the space allocated for the tank in your Cougar may not be very big. How many ounces is the tank shown in the plans? You can always run whatever size tank fits in a sport plane--there are no rules--but I find that really short flights are frustrating. I have a Junior Flite Streak with a Mickey .19 Red Head that is a very pleasant flyer--for just 3 minutes or so....

People have often said that using a bigger prop on a diesel than a similar sized glow would comfortably run allows the smaller engine to pull a slower moving sport or stunt plane quite nicely. (Think George Aldrich and his full-fuse Peacemaker.) So you are actually dealing with two separate differences in your design changes:  changing from diesel to glow, and changing from old technology to somewhat newer.

If you can provide the engine weights and the distance from what you estimate the engine CG is to the aircraft balance point on the plans, we can calculate the shift required to achieve the same overall CG, if that is helpful to you. Of course, this all assumes that as drawn, the CG comes out pretty close to the plan, with no/little tail or noseweight required. If the original design was tailheavy...the impact of your engine choice would not be as significant.

Sounds like an interesting project.

A picture of the plane or the plans would help.

Dave

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 05:49:25 PM »
Hey Dave,
No, I am definitely not a diesel guy and yes diesel fuel is twice the price of glo fuel here.

This is the information I have been able to gather on the engines.

The pictured engine is an AM .35 diesel that the info I found stated weighed 4.5oz and put out .058 BHP/OZ.

The engine I have is a Glo Chief .29. I found a review of it on Spectre and it stated the following.
Weight 7.5oz, I put mine on the scales and they read 263 grams or 9.27oz! With .065 BHP/OZ.

I think I over estimated how much the former will have to move back. After putting the rule on it I think I should be able to fit a 3oz Brodak uniflow tank quite easily.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »
I was a bit skeptical of the 4.5 oz. number for the diesel.  A Fox .35 is 6.4 oz, and that is really light. So I went and looked. If the plans are calling out an Allen-Mercury AM35, that is actually a 3.5 cc engine, or a .21 cu. in. displacement. So maybe the 4.5 oz. reported in Model Engine News is correct.  As a further comparison, the OS .46LA is right at 9.52 oz., or about a quarter oz. more that your Glowchief .29.

Some quick math using your supplied weights and a nominal moment arm of 6-5/16" for the stock engine location (ref. to cylinder centerline), says you'd have to move the engine back 3-1/4" to get back to the same mass moment. That's huge, and does not seem reasonable. (It would be somewhat less since you'd be moving the prop, fuel tank, and some of the nose structure, etc.) Other assumptions as discussed previously.

Instead, if you used the heavier engine with the CGs in about the same place, you would have to add 1.5 oz. of tail weight at an arm of 20" from the airplane's CG. You'll have to decide if you think the plane can carry roughly 6-1/4 oz. more than the plans prototype. If you had a weight target of say, 36 ounces for a stock configuration, you would be adding almost 18% to the flying weight.

You gave the wingspan as 45". What is the wing area? Could you mount tail weight further back that 20" from the airplane's balance point?

Are you anticipating this will be a "goes around in circles" airplane, or that it will do at least the Old Time maneuvers?

Dave

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 11:40:55 PM »
The Glow Chiefs were pretty close clones of the K&B Greenheads. K&B made .09 >.45 versions. Glow Chief made .29 > .49 that I know of. I don't know if Gordon Burford made .19's or not, but I know there were some BB .35's and that .29 appears to be a twin ball bearing version, thus the weight discrepancy. I met Gordon a couple of times, the last being in Goulburn in '83. He was a very nice gentleman.

I would suggest that you find another engine, because I suspect that the sale of yours might pay for a couple of good runners that would be more appropriate to the design you plan to build. If you're planning to fly it in your (?) contests, I know you would get points for using a period correct engine, but don't think that's the one you want to use for that design.   D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 06:36:01 AM »
Hello Steve,
Goulburn, really? Did you see the dog on his Tucker Box and the Giant Ram whilst you were there? That really is country New South Wales!

I have heard many others speak kindly of Gordon. A true pioneer of model engines in this country!!

Unfortunately the Glo Chief isn't worth that much, maybe $45US. Now, if it was one of Gordon's Taipan 2.5cc diesels....... In good condition up to $200US. New I think you could write your own amount.

I think you are right about the plane design. I have looked at comparable, more modern, engines and I still come up with 50% more weight than the AM 35!  4.5oz is just really hard to get close to!

If I can get the engine to run decently I will build the plane as is with the Glo Chief for nostalgia sake.

If all it does is go round and round so be it. A bit of fun anyway!

Dave
It hadn't really dawned on me the problems that the 4.5oz engine would create. As you say the LA46 is about the same as the Glo Chief but in a completely different power bracket!!

The furthest I could put tail weight would be 19" from the centre line of the CG. On the rudder.

I calculated the wing area at about 360 square inches, with flaps.

I have the build feature from Aero Modeler it does not give a suggested weight however. It does say to not deviate rearward from the CG as it is set up for competition sensitivity.

It does talk about the more popular, at that time in Britain, Frog 500. I looked its weight up and that states 7.65oz. It was 3.6" from the rounded back part to the drive washer and 2.2" from the back of the cylinder head to the drive washer, so it to would require the former to be moved. But I think we have moved on from that question!!

Just for interest the article says it was built and flown in the 1956 Gold Trophy with a K&B 19 which i looked up and the Web says weighed 6.05oz.

I'm not really sure where that leaves me. As I said I will build it. If you guys come up with a compelling reason to change engines I will. It does not have to stunt but a loop would be nice. If it won't run properly then I have a couple of OS 25's or an Enya 29 I could use. But I still see similar weight issues with those!

Thank you very much for the input.

Craig

AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here