Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Molded Leading Edge Caps for foam core wings

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bob Hunt:
>The key again to accuracy is the ability to hot wire cut a perfect radius on the leading edge of the foam core and then attach a molded cap, which is formed over an accurately cut L.E. mold buck.<

Hi Pat:

Sorry about that. I thought I'd made it clear that this technique was for use with foam cores that were cut with fully rounded (hot wire cut...) leading edges.

To make things clear for all: There are no blocks on or anywhere near the leading edge of the cores on which I use this technique. I've been cutting foam cores with fully rounded leading edges for several years, but mainly for the Lost-Foam fixture sets. It dawned on me not too long back that the exact same cutting technique could easily be employed to cut cores with round foam leading edges. Too soon old, too late smart I guess... Just about the time I'm ready to leave this orb I should have this whole foam wing thing fully figured out.:)

The absence of the block on the leading edge not only insures accuracy, but it also eliminates some dead weight. Also the time it takes to carve and sand the balsa block type leading edge is eliminated, as is the vast majority of the sanding dust and all of the shavings associated with the old technique. In all ways the rounded nose foam core with a molded cap is easier, cleaner, more accurate and more repeatable. As they say: "Try it, you'll like it!"  

Yes, I do offer this option for sale through Robin's View Productions. It requires a set of leading edge cap mold bucks to be cut and sent along with the foam cores, but that's not difficult. There is a slight increase in total cost if a core is ordered with this option, but the accuracy is worth far more than the slight price increase. If you order a core in the future of the same design, just tell me that you already have the LE mold bucks for that wing and there will be no additional charge as you can use the mold bucks over and over many times.

If you opt to order a fully covered and sanding wing (with or without landing gear mount system installed), it will come with molded leading edge caps installed. I will cut foam cores for sale with the old "square nose" option that requires a block leading edge, but all sheeted and sanded foam wings will from now on feature the molded cap option. I can't see any reason to do it the old way ever again.

Again, if you have any specific questions or want to place an order please call me at: 610-746-0106. I'm back doing this full-time now and can process orders quickly. My email address is: robinhunt@rcn.com

Thanks - Bob Hunt

Larry Renger:
Unless you are cutting the cores by hand, with tons of experience, skill and practice, how do you cut the LE radius?  I use a TEKOA machine, and it won't make true vertical cuts that would be needed. 

I suppose I could cut it so that only a tiny piece of foam need be sanded, perhaps less than 1/8" deep and 1/4" high.  Shouldn't be much room for error there and the balsa ought to fill in any errors.

Great show and tell on a very good idea, by the way!  Keep up the good work. 

Are you coming to the AMA Convention?

Bob Hunt:
Hi Larry:

As a matter of fact I am cutting them by hand, and yes, I guess I do have the requisite experience, but believe me, it ain't rocket science. I believe that anyone who can fly a CL model can learn the rudiments of foam cutting well and quick enough to make this simple cut. And, if not... order them from me!  H^^

On the other matter, no, I'm sorry to say that I won't be at Ontario this year :( I'll miss you guys, and especially Warren's great party! Say hi to everyone for me and tell them that I'll try to make it out next year.

Thanks for the kind words... Bob

Bob Furr:
For anyone being put off by not knowing how to cut your own foam drop me an email at robear1053 at aol dot com.   I have copies of the Good To Go Models foam cutting video available for sale. 
Bob Furr

Neville Legg:
Bob,
Can you tell me how you get such a neat foam cut?  What dia. and type of wire are you using, and how much current/voltage?. I've cut many a foam wing but can't get that really neat smooth finish on the foam!!

Cheers  Neville

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version