News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Molded Banana-shaped Fuselage  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Molded Banana-shaped Fuselage
« on: February 02, 2022, 09:48:33 PM »
So I've fallen in love with a plane, and want to do a semi-scale stunt of it, with a big molded fuselage like Paul Walker and Igor Burger have been doing.

But it's a racy sort of thing, and the fuselage is banana-shaped.  I'm forseeing all sorts of issues with the molding process -- basically, I just can't envision where the balsa will want to go, or, if I cut slits in it like you to with a convex-convex fuselage, whether it'll make things better or worse.

Has anyone attempted this?  Did you succeed?  Did you do anything special?

PDF of the start of the plans posted.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Molded Banana-shaped Fuselage
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 07:06:01 AM »
Tim,
I have molded balsa top and bottom blocks and have an old Top Flite molded fuse P40 and Peacemaker kit. The technic goes back to Al Rabe so you might want to research some of his work, also Bob Hunt has done a lot of this.

One approach to complex shapes would be to form the center part of the fuse from sheet balsa kinda like a box fuse for this part, then add pink or blue foam blocks to shape the rest. Once you have it carved and sanded to shape use light (1oz ish) fiberglass cloth to cover it. You could then melt out the foam (spary gasoline or acetone over it) or if you built it in two half's hollow out the foam blocks leaving say 1/8" wall under the fiberglass.

Let us know how you do this.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 07:11:03 AM »
You could buy / build a CNC router and carve it... I have a project router I have never finished and it's times like this, I seriously consider getting my tail out there and getting it done.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:39:03 AM »
Tim, several planes ago I molded a 3/32 balsa fuse that requires a complex shape in the engine/cowl area and it turned out good.  I did the "slit the balsa and overlap it" technique and found that to work just fine. Once overlapped I then cut the extra wood away and glued the slits together, then glassed the area from the inside.  Keep in mind that I molded the fuse in a right side/left side configuration then joined the sides after the shells had dried.
It was a very good and light ship and I really enjoyed it 'til I sold it and the PA61 so I could justify my PA 65.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 09:27:43 AM »
Tim, several planes ago I molded a 3/32 balsa fuse that requires a complex shape in the engine/cowl area and it turned out good.  I did the "slit the balsa and overlap it" technique and found that to work just fine. Once overlapped I then cut the extra wood away and glued the slits together, then glassed the area from the inside.  Keep in mind that I molded the fuse in a right side/left side configuration then joined the sides after the shells had dried.
It was a very good and light ship and I really enjoyed it 'til I sold it and the PA61 so I could justify my PA 65.

That one is definitely badassednesscooleruleo to be sure..
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 02:04:06 PM »
Tim, several planes ago I molded a 3/32 balsa fuse that requires a complex shape in the engine/cowl area and it turned out good...

Yup. I've done one molded balsa turtle deck, which ended up well. I'm being inspired by the local top fliers that are doing warbirds with big molded fuselages -- my big worry is that the fuselage has a lot of curvature to it lengthwise, with some undercamber in the back (it's in the drawing I included).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »
That one is definitely badassednesscooleruleo to be sure..
Thanks Mark!
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
Cool looking plane Tim. 
This should help with the visualization of your banana concept.  H^^
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 08:04:43 PM »
Cool looking plane Tim. 
This should help with the visualization of your banana concept.  H^^

That wasn't the paint scheme I was contemplating, but if I run out of ideas, I'll run with it!
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 09:28:07 AM »
Hi Tim,

Make a sacrificial styrofoam plug. Soak the balsa for many, many hours and just go at it with loads of elastic bands to hold the balsa against the plug.

Unrelenting pressure from the bands forces the balsa to submit.

Later you can slice up the plug to get your cross-sections.

Attached is an image of DC3 nacelles.

Did I say you need lots of elastic bands?

Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 01:03:48 PM »
I know the basic technique, and have used it -- all of once.  It's the negative 3D fuselage that has be worried.

BTW: I go off of Bob Hunt's instructions, and use Vetwrap or an Ace bandage.  He specifically mentions that something like rubber bands can make marks in the balsa.  Dunno if that's happened to you, but...
AMA 64232

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
I know the basic technique, and have used it -- all of once.  It's the negative 3D fuselage that has be worried.

BTW: I go off of Bob Hunt's instructions, and use Vetwrap or an Ace bandage.  He specifically mentions that something like rubber bands can make marks in the balsa.  Dunno if that's happened to you, but...

Bob is right.
Life is good AMA 1488

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here