News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:02:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MoBest/Teosawki  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Steve Glass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
MoBest/Teosawki
« on: April 16, 2023, 01:57:10 PM »
Really struggling to get decent balsa.  So I've been experimenting using a Teosawki type construction on a flapped model.

Balsa used.... 4 sheets of 1/16", 2 sheets of 1/8" and 1/2 a sheet of 1/2", all about 7-8 lb wood.

Elevator and flaps are glassed 6mm Depron with carbon tows.
The rear fuselage is 3 layers of 6mm Depron glassed.
The spars are spruce, the webs are 6mm depron and the 1/2 ribs are 6mm Depron.
The tailplane is a 3mm Depron core with 3mm balsa structure top and bottom.
The fin is glassed depron.
Wingtips are glassed and hollowed blue foam.

The front fuselage carries back to the TE and is a 1/2" balsa core with 2 laminations of 1/16" ply on both sides.

Covering is laminating film over polyester tissue.  Inkjet decal markings.
I used 80gm glass cloth, overkill maybe? but the parts are very, very stiff.

Ready to fly weight 48oz. Early days trimming wise but shows great promise.

Steve

« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 02:48:40 PM by Steve Glass »

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
Re: MoBest/Teosawki
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 02:14:58 PM »
Here's a picture of the wing and jig. The LE balsa sheet has been soaked and is drying. Later the structure will be returned to the jig for the LE sheeting to be glued.

Steve

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 01:46:51 PM »
Had many short 1/2 tank trimming flights today.  Got the wings level with just some extra tip-weight.  Altered the handle spacings to get equal inside and outside loops. The jig-built wings must have come out pretty straight as I can see no reason to tweak anything.

The 46la is recently converted from RC and wasn't working for me, wouldn't needle on the ground. I quickly ditched the remote needle-valve and inside tank Idea for a standard profile setup, to no avail.  Next outing I'll try a known good engine and take with me a known good tank to find the problem.
I don't want to ditch the unorthodox engine slant just yet.  The idea of the engine placement like this is to give a correct vertical CG and still use the stock muffler.  Might need a balsa trippler in the nose if vibration is the issue?  Didn't anticipate vibration problems with the nose made from so much balsa and ply.  2 laminations of 1/16th ply each side of 1/2" balsa.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 03:13:41 PM »
  Post some better p[pictures of the engine and tank mounting. There is no reason the engine should not run like that. It just might be in the plumbing. I'll have to dig out the MoBest article and get familiar wit that also.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 05:51:23 PM »
Really struggling to get decent balsa.  So I've been experimenting using a Teosawki type construction on a flapped model.

Balsa used.... 4 sheets of 1/16", 2 sheets of 1/8" and 1/2 a sheet of 1/2", all about 7-8 lb wood.

Elevator and flaps are glassed 6mm Depron with carbon tows.
The rear fuselage is 3 layers of 6mm Depron glassed.
The spars are spruce, the webs are 6mm depron and the 1/2 ribs are 6mm Depron.
The tailplane is a 3mm Depron core with 3mm balsa structure top and bottom.
The fin is glassed depron.
Wingtips are glassed and hollowed blue foam.

The front fuselage carries back to the TE and is a 1/2" balsa core with 2 laminations of 1/16" ply on both sides.

Covering is laminating film over polyester tissue.  Inkjet decal markings.
I used 80gm glass cloth, overkill maybe? but the parts are very, very stiff.

Ready to fly weight 48oz. Early days trimming wise but shows great promise.

Steve

Steve, this is really cool.  I applaud you thinking outside of the box.

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2023, 01:37:46 PM »
Thanks George.

Dan, attached is an image of how the nose looks now.  There is a known good engine and I've replumbed the tank. The tank now sits on a shelf so the height can be adjusted with shims.  Double clunk tanks have given me the best results so far.

To suit this build method, the spars are straight and the TE is swept forward.  The MoBest design has a straight TE.  Lucky boxes were used on the flaps. This and the rc engine mount are the only changes made.

Hope to test the engine tomorrow, can do this at home, to see if there is an improvement.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 05:33:51 PM »
  If that is the way you had the other engine mounted with the tank inboard, your biggest problem might just be in keeping the pickup/feed like to the venturi as short as possible. An inboard tank should start out a little leaner on the ground and go richer in the air when speed and CF build up. Finding the correct tank height might be different from what you are used to. I have never tried to  run a cocked engine like that but I understand what you are doing, and I think it should run OK like that.  I remember reading something a long time ago that there is supposed to be an advantage to running your engine with the cylinder head at 8 o'clock and the muffler in line under the nose of the fuselage. Keep us posted on results but what you have here should work, I think.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 01:27:56 PM »
After a layoff I've finally got back to flying this model.

The 46LA now responds well to all the usual tricks and looks like a great match for the airframe (610 sq.in.).  Trim now is close enough to fly the schedule and handle some wind.

Getting a new model trimmed well enough to fly the schedule is an important milestone for me, I seem to stop crashing!  Maybe the discipline of flying the set sequence means that I should stay ahead of the model?

Steve

Offline realSteveSmith

• 24 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 04:24:15 PM »
I was 'just' on the phone with Dan McEntee....we were talking all the doom and gloom about balsa prices/availability.  Then your thread popped up....how refreshing/encouraging. 
AMA 175438

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 04:56:13 PM »
You could title this as "Don't need no steenkin balsa" LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Great job. Make it a magazine article for PAMPA or AMA.  D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 12:15:44 PM »
Early engine problems was caused by a leaky plastic backplate, should have known better!

With repairs and  extra tip/ tail weight I'm now at 51oz.  Not much headroom for a nice paint job!

My next build will be something similar using the same construction techniques.  Maybe I'll mess with the MoBest outlines and think of a snappy name and pass it off as an own design? There might be copyright issues with the MoBest?

Steve
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 02:19:16 PM by Steve Glass »

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 02:44:14 AM »
I use a vacuum bagging setup. 250 micron Mylars and West epoxy.

The inside of the Mylars have been waxed and the outsides marked with a Sharpie. In this instance the flap outlines are marked along with the carbon tow positions.

A slightly oversize piece of glass cloth is placed on the Mylar and wetted with epoxy using a credit-card to spread. Short lengths of carbon tow is laid on dry by hand.

My bagging setup....... I use a compressor out of a portable air-conditioner and a DIY electronic vacuum-switch.  The vacuum-bags are heavy-duty polythene sheet used as damp proofing by builders sealed at the edges with decorators caulk.

A wing press should work very well if you did not want to go the the trouble of vacuum setup. 

Steve

« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 08:52:58 AM by Steve Glass »

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 09:07:20 AM »
Blue foam wingtips.

Roughly shaped, solid blue foam wingtips are tack glued in placed and shaped and sanded.

After removal from the wing the wingtips are glassed with IIRC 4oz. cloth. Twill weave drapes better than plain weave.

The wingtips are hollowed out with Dremel sanding drum to about 1/8" thickness. Periodically, hold the wingtip up to the light to see if there are any thicker areas that needs more attention. Also use your fingertips to feel for even thickness.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here