News:

• April 23, 2024, 10:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on sander  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Cody bishop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Looking for suggestions on sander
« on: August 28, 2018, 06:38:32 AM »
I'm looking to buy a table/disk with table sander what do you suggest I would like something to sand mostly wood but metal on occasion with different belt/disk I don't want to spend more than nessesary but I would rather pay a little more to have one that will last and do a good job

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Looking for suggestions on sander
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »
Hi Cody:

I bought a Porter Cable disc/belt sander from Lowes a few years back and have had excellent results with it. It is priced below $200.00, and is a bargain at that price.

Hope this helps - Bob Hunt

Okay, I checked the current price of this unit and it is now at $217.00 from Lowes. Still a great price on a very good unit. Here's a link to take a look at it...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-5-Amp-Benchtop-Sander/3163789?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-BenchtopTools-_-3163789:PORTER-CABLE&CAWELAID=&kpid=3163789&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1759&k_clickID=53243eb3-f478-4622-919b-865cdd942961&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMzU55KQ3QIVloTICh2mtAdGEAQYASABEgIOlPD_BwE#
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:09:54 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
I know this may sound silly but if your area is like mine, I'd be willing to bet you can find a good deal at one of your local pawn shops.  One fellow's downturn could be your reason for smiling!

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
I actually like a lot of the Grizzly branded wood working stuff

https://www.grizzly.com/belt-disc-sanders

I have the grizzly version of the tool Motorman linked to...It is just barely OK for light model building and is horribly imprecise...same tool is sold by harbor freight...all three are identical tool just different branding and colors

in main WW shop I have this 4"x36" belt 6" disk from grizzly for $175 ish

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Sander-4-x-36-Belt-6-Disc/G0547
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
MM  I agree for most work the 1" belt and 5" disk is fine...I use the snot out of mine

Too funny on the naming of tools.... and I am not making this up...mine is Bert...MY skill 2330 Drill press is Bridget....

I named my 6" x 52" Jointer: Colletta...my first wife who was an angry Bit....  this Jointer I have set up for pretty deep (3/32) first cut* and I am used to it...but if I do not pay attention she will buck&huck a plank through the shop wall in kick back....

* I do a lot of wood work with 2~3" x 12" x 8~12' ROUGH CUT Western Red Cedar that is NOT kiln dried so some is wetter inside-- and I am asking the jointer to do more than it was designed for....IN fact after patching the first shop wall perforation I now point it so if it gets away, it hucks the plank out the shop door
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:32:50 AM »
"* I do a lot of wood work with 2~3" x 12" x 8~12' ROUGH CUT Western Red Cedar that is NOT kiln dried so some is wetter inside-- and I am asking the jointer to do more than it was designed for....IN fact after patching the first shop wall perforation I now point it so if it gets away, it hucks the plank out the shop door"

Fred gave me a giggle there! We had a table saw and other large power tools at home and used them often. When my brother was taking "Wood Shop" in HS, he was running the table saw and had a piece of wood get away from him on the table saw. No idea why, but it happened that the shop teacher was walking by behind him and almost got whacked. The piece of wood stuck in the sheetrock wall and stuck. The teacher insisted on leaving it there, stuck in the wall. Mr. Wagner, I salute you!  y1 Steve

PS: All of my power tools are named after Fred's first wife...at least, occasionally.  ;)
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 03:55:10 PM »
I bought a unit from Harbor Freight a couple of years ago. Bench top model. About a hundred bucks. Works fine.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Phil Krankowski

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »
I have the Harbor Freight benchtop disk and belt sander.  It will require the belt tightened, tables squared, tracking adjusted... but is fine for a variaty of work.  Buy better abrasives from somewhere other than HF and it is a pretty decent machine.  Hit a sale and coupon and it is down around $35. 

Do remember this is not a machine that will last decades of hard work.  A 'production' machine for a professional shop it most definately is NOT.  It can also be stalled relatively easy if overloaded.  A loose belt will make it much worse.

It fills my needs currently for both wood and metal.

Phil

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here