News:

• April 19, 2024, 10:53:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Let's see how this works: a cheap man's repurposing test  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Miotch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Let's see how this works: a cheap man's repurposing test
« on: January 30, 2023, 02:42:04 PM »
I am notoriously cheap.  And I get a weird satisfaction out of finding uses for things they weren't intended for.  I badly need to strengthen a cowling on a plane I'm making.  And I was doing some sheetrock work at home yesterday using a fiber tape.  So, I'm cutting some tape and realize I'm gonna have about 200 extra feet of this stuff that will sit in my shed until I'm dead.  After looking at the tape for a bit, I decided I'd be happier with storing just 199 feet of the tape, so I decided to experiment and epoxy a layer of it inside my slip-on cowling.  Had to work fast because the only epoxy I could find at either Lowes or Home Depot had a 5-minute set up, but managed to brush it on, work in the tape and wipe off the excess while it was still workable.  Does seem to make it stronger.  It will not work on the outside of the cowling.  Too thick.  Too stiff.  And won't handle compound curves.  One of my goals was to build this plane without spending a penny and use only things I already have.  But I'm probably going to fail, because this cowl will still need a layer or two of thin glass cloth on the outside and I have neither the cloth nor the epoxy to do that.  Oh well, won't be the first time, nor the last, I don't achieve a goal.  First pic is the sheetrock tape.  Second is the inside of the cowl after epoxying a layer of the tape.  Last pic is the cowling I'm trying to strengthen.  It is removable by taking off the prop and sliding forward.  Still needs final shaping, but I think it's going to work pretty well if I make it strong enough I don't crush it trying to start the engine. 

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Let's see how this works: a cheap man's repurposing test
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 03:05:01 PM »
   Many years ago, as composites were beginning to become main stream, and there was some trickle down into modeling, The word Tyvek started to be seen in various forms of material. The most common at that time was those super tuff shipping envelopes that were available more or less free. I remember reading in a free flight column, I think it was, about a technique to peel the fibers off the envelope and laminating that onto structures to add strength with almost no weight gain. i couldn't figure out exactly what the technique was so I never tried it, but have never forgotten about it. It might be time to revisit this, if there is some one out there that remembers what I'm talking about. You either peel the material off the envelop, or maybe just use it as is and lay it on with epoxy just like you did. I'm just not really sure.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 05:11:32 PM »
I am notoriously cheap.  And I get a weird satisfaction out of finding uses for things they weren't intended for.  I badly need to strengthen a cowling on a plane I'm making.  And I was doing some sheetrock work at home yesterday using a fiber tape.  So, I'm cutting some tape and realize I'm gonna have about 200 extra feet of this stuff that will sit in my shed until I'm dead.  After looking at the tape for a bit, I decided I'd be happier with storing just 199 feet of the tape, so I decided to experiment and epoxy a layer of it inside my slip-on cowling.  Had to work fast because the only epoxy I could find at either Lowes or Home Depot had a 5-minute set up, but managed to brush it on, work in the tape and wipe off the excess while it was still workable.  Does seem to make it stronger.  It will not work on the outside of the cowling.  Too thick.  Too stiff.  And won't handle compound curves.  One of my goals was to build this plane without spending a penny and use only things I already have.  But I'm probably going to fail, because this cowl will still need a layer or two of thin glass cloth on the outside and I have neither the cloth nor the epoxy to do that.  Oh well, won't be the first time, nor the last, I don't achieve a goal.  First pic is the sheetrock tape.  Second is the inside of the cowl after epoxying a layer of the tape.  Last pic is the cowling I'm trying to strengthen.  It is removable by taking off the prop and sliding forward.  Still needs final shaping, but I think it's going to work pretty well if I make it strong enough I don't crush it trying to start the engine.

After looking at your pictures, here's what I'd do. Take a strip of silk span the width of the cowl plus1", rap it around the cowl doping it on and leave it stick out in front. Once the dope is (almost) dry ,cut slits every 1/2" or so all around the cowl and dope'm down. They will over lap but that is alright as you will sand them down. Apply several coats and then the color.

Good luck, Jerry

PS: You might want two layers of silk span. Or even three.

PPS: You can do it wet if you prefer.

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 06:00:53 AM »
Wow !! This hack added a ton of strength.  I think that with Gerald's suggestion of adding a couple layers of (very old, very good) silkspan to the exterior, it will be all I need.  Here is a post of testing and a photo of what of my childhood plane (OK, my dad's plane) I want this to resemble.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnfigg2oefhz9lt/Video%20Jan%2031%202023%2C%206%2012%2028%20AM.mov?dl=0

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 12:23:56 PM »
Well I'll show my age.  I remember when kit instructions would say to use plain ole medical gauze for reinforcement or strengthening areas.  Also using Duco cement for model planes. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 08:12:08 PM »
I like the idea of "build it with what's on hand."  Did that myself with a rebuild during covid....

Here's one way to tackle it from Model Aviation, July 1992:

https://library.modelaviation.com/article/make-it-paper#&gid=1&pid=1

There's an earlier article that I found even more interesting, making entire airframes with "poor man's composites" in other words paper and white glue. It was harder to find in the archive. He used a foam male mold and dissolved it after laying up, sanding, and painting the outside.

Dave

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 09:25:27 PM »
Nice article, Dave. Thanks  !!

Which makes me wonder what would happen using heavy silkspan dipped in alphatic resin/water slurry ..?

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 05:03:27 PM »
Mio,

I think that was what the guy in the other article (which I did not find) did--some white glue and silkspan. But it might have been 25+ years since I read it, so.....

Dave

PS--Ok, I thought up some new keywords to use in a search--and found the article I remembered. A bit more than 25 years ago, though. More like 46!  I've never been too good at dates....

https://library.modelaviation.com/article/mold-it-easy-way

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here