News:

• May 19, 2024, 11:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Way To Sheet FOAM wing panels  (Read 1477 times)

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
New Way To Sheet FOAM wing panels
« on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
Working with molded composite wing panels, i have developed a new way to use these premolded prefinished composite wing panels including the wing tips to sheet a foam wing.
Working with Bob Hunt in producing a foam wing that could be sheeted with my molded wing panels we have come up with the following
Bob produced a triple cored foam wing that is matched to the foam wing panel that he created from witch the molds were made.
These molds have been used to produce composite wing panels for fully sheeted wings,openbay wings and now fully sheeted foam wings.
The molded panels with open bays can also be used to produce what Tom Dixon call kept foam. the Tom Dixon wing only difference is that the composite shells are cut like an open bay wing and then used to laminate a foam wing.
The composite wing shells have to date been used to produce the following
1) fully sheeted lost foam wings
2) open bay Lost Foam Wing
3) fully sheeted foam wing
4) Dixon Kept foam wing
5) ribless foam insert wing
6) not yet done is a I beam wing using the molded composite shells
this wing building system has pr oven to be adaptable to most building methods.
Jose Modesto

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
Re: New Way To Sheet FOAM wing panels
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Photos

Offline decamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »
Looks promising!
Doc Saldivar

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:18:59 PM »
The paint in the mold can only be used by me or my friends that can come over and spray the primer in the mold.
An option is to mold with raw balsa exterior surfaces and put the glass cloth in the interior. The raw balsa exterior can be used by others.
currently i have four wing molds were the paint in the mold can be used
1) saturn 2)impact 3)SV-22 and 4) patternmaster ( 60 to 63" span 715Si)
i have been searching for a quicker way to produce wing panels and this is an option.
The foam wing panels in white primer weigh 5oz each that's 10oz wing in white primer,in raw balsa they are 4.2 oz If the panels are used as Dixon Kept foam they go down to 3.7 oz each.
My other post of the foam insert,those wings wen removed from the mold require installation of leadouts guide, tip weight box, and bellcranck then glue the shells together. these are the fastest and most complete wing panels that i have made to date.
Jose Modesto

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here