News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:53:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: L/E shaping  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
L/E shaping
« on: July 03, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

Guy's when you are shaping the L/E on your wing do you use a templet for shaping, or do you have a better way?  I am thinking about on a L/E such as a Sig Twister.  Thanks a lot... y1
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: L/E shaping
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »
There's enough inaccuracy in a Sig Twister that you can just eyeball it.

If I want real accuracy, and it's not too sharp, I mold the LE.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 11:00:46 PM »
  One thing about a stunt model, you get out of it what you put into it. By all means, use a template. I have seen Twisters with absolutely un-shaped 1/2" square sticks in the leading edge and they actually flew acceptably for the person at that time. But a nicely shaped leading edge with no lumps or bumps looks really nice and really nice looking always flies better!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »
You can make a tool to shape the leading edge accurately. Walter  Umand from built right fly right models includes pieces to make one in his kits. It's simple.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
Maybe somebody will chime in about how they did it years ago, on their award winning R/C plane?   y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Russell

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
I use a long sanding block until the LE matches the drawing.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
I too make a sanding block/tool about 2" inch long with the airfoil cut into it with a table saw and medium grit sandpaper glued to it.  I try and avoid blades of any kind when shaping the LE but that is just me.   Once I have the basic shape I use a 12" block to final shape then very lightly hand sand to smooth it out.  As long as you get the right curve any method here works as long as you don't try and do it TOO FAST.   I do the same for the stab.  Put some masking tape (I use blue painters) on the sheeting (if it has sheeting) where you want the shaping to stop.  It is super easy to sand too far back and get flat spots.

By the way, save your sanding tools.  They are great for building a 2nd one or repairing the one you just used to show everybody what the 4th corner of a hourglass can look like in a thermal downdraft.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 12:21:33 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Chenevert

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 04:57:28 AM »
Good morning Gil. I used a sanding block varing the grades of sand paper and removing material slowly. This is done by eyeballing the LEnand feeling The smoothness of the wood.  Thank God our eyes are young! Lol
Tim
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
AMA 179681

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:12 PM »
Here's what I use. And I make them on my table saw! It's simple once you figure it out. The trick is to take really "SMALL" (1/16" or less) cuts until you get the desired depth you want.

First raise the blade to the desired depth (NO, you're not going to cut yet) Then see where the cut starts and ends. Then (here's the tricky part) place a fence at the desired angle 30-45 degrees etc., and clamp it to the saw.
Next lower the blade down to 1/16' or less and run a cut (watch those fingers!) It should slide easily along your fence. Continue until the desired depth it reached.

Add sand paper and have at it!

OBTW I rough cut my LE's with a wood plane first to get them close.

Here's a photo.

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »
Nice Jerry!
So one of those is in that Colossus kit i bought, right?  <=
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
Here's what I use. And I make them on my table saw! It's simple once you figure it out. The trick is to take really "SMALL" (1/16" or less) cuts until you get the desired depth you want.

First raise the blade to the desired depth (NO, you're not going to cut yet) Then see where the cut starts and ends. Then (here's the tricky part) place a fence at the desired angle 30-45 degrees etc., and clamp it to the saw.
Next lower the blade down to 1/16' or less and run a cut (watch those fingers!) It should slide easily along your fence. Continue until the desired depth it reached.

Add sand paper and have at it!

OBTW I rough cut my LE's with a wood plane first to get them close.

Here's a photo.
Gerald:

I make my blocks just like yours but I flair the sides and run the sandpaper over the flair.  I kept getting score marks from the edges of the sandpaper - that fixed it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here