News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:09:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Laser Cut Ribs  (Read 748 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Laser Cut Ribs
« on: January 02, 2020, 02:19:06 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 08:34:33 AM by Motorman »

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Laser Cut Ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 04:34:23 PM »
If I wanted to get a set of ribs laser cut what would dude need from me and what apropx would it cost?

Talking about Warren truss ribs and all I know is the root and tip airfoils and the angle of the ribs. I also have a photo copy of the ribs I traced on paper. Could dude work from there?
Motorman 8)

The ribs I used to make the wings for the ARGO and the Mig-3 I purchased from Sig. Twister and Banshee.

If you have a custom rib, you'll need a file with the drawing in vector format.

I would gladly do this for you, but I can no longer go on line with my old Mac to send files. I'm working on this.

Walter can cut ribs, he's in the Vendor's Corner.  builtrightflyright.com
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

John A Miller

Re: Laser Cut Ribs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:55:26 PM »
"If I wanted to get a set of ribs laser cut what would dude need from me and what approx would it cost?"

The Dude, or Dudettes, will need the span of the inboard, as well as the outboard wings. The amount of sweep back from the root rib, to the tip rib. He would also need to know, is the flap hinge line straight, or also angled?

Cost these days, would  be less than in years past, and dependent on the actual time it takes to complete the job. You may find someone who has the skills, and the software to do the job correctly, who may take on your project gratis. It has happened.

"Talking about Warren truss ribs and all I know is the root and tip airfoils and the angle of the ribs. I also have a photo copy of the ribs I traced on paper. Could dude work from there?"

All the above information, with possibly some additional nuggets would be helpful.

Most laser cutters prefer the Cutting files to be .dxf, .dwg, or equivalent type files. There may be some who can use .pdf files, but I suspect they would charge more to cut, as they may have to convert to one of the Cad type files.

Best wishes, John Miller     

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here