Building Tips and technical articles. > Building techniques

Laminating balsa

(1/3) > >>

John Skukalek:
I have some good light 1/16 balsa but am short on 1/8 balsa. I'm considering laminating 2 pieces of 1/16 to get 1/8. What is the best glue to use for lamination in order to minimize weight gain? 

Colin McRae:
I would think SIG Bond or Titebond (original formula) would be good. Both same basic type of wood glue. Also, a bit of water can be added to thin before application. Only a small amount of water is needed to thin. Add water a drop or 2 at a time, mix, and see if it is the consistency you want to brush-on.

John Skukalek:
Thank you Colin

john e. holliday:
Both those glues will cause warpage as most glues do.   If you have a large area that is flat and another plate to put on top I would use Gorilla glue.   It does not need to be rushed applying and will cure over night.  Be sure to use parchment paper top and bottom of the pieces being laminated as the glue will find every little hole in the balsa.   The pieces will be very stiff and the glue is very sandable. Really I myself would go get some 1/8th inch balsa sheets and save the 1/16th for other uses.  By the way the Gorilla glue spreads very easily.  Read instructions on bottle first before buying as if I remember right the surfaces have to be dampened before spreading the glue.   It does expand while curing so put lots of weight on the top piece. D>K

John Skukalek:
One of the things that I am wondering about John is weight. It seems next to impossible to find light 1/8 balsa. I do have light 1/16. I don't know if laminating 2 pieces of 1/16 will result in light 1/8? Or will adding glue for laminating render the resulting 1/8 to be significantly heavier than the combined weight of the 2 pieces of 1/16.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version