News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:48:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LA Heat and motor won't fit, HELP  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
LA Heat and motor won't fit, HELP
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:05:31 PM »
 ??? I am the "Peter Principle", i have a Saito .40/uhp nva and 3 1/2 oz. metal uniflow tank and not enough length to fit them in. WHAT DO I DO???????? :'( I need about 3/8" in length. DO i cut into the LE of the wing, and if so how do i brace up around the cut? What else can i do? Please help????????? j1 j1 j1 Thanks RON.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: LA Heat and motor won't fit, HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 03:46:30 PM »
First off, do not use a hard tank with the Saito 40, a plastic RC clunk tank will work much better. If you can find a Hays 3 ounce clunk, put it on the inside of the fuselage.
Trust me it will work great....

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
Thanks Bob, will look for a Hays 3oz. plastic. Since this is a twin, putting tank in fuse, makes for a long draw to the engine. I need to make a 3/8"deep cut by 2 1/16" wide in wing. Wing ribs are notch for 1/4x1/4 stringer. Ron

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »
I assume you are putting 2 of these into an LAHeat Twin?? correct? So (not knowing anything about the LA Heat), I assume everything installs inside the engine nacelles. I don't know the wing structure either, but if you do cut in to the leading edge, I would add some bracing on the inside of the leading edge.  

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 04:45:36 AM »
Ya I was thinking Profile.. Never seen an LA Heat so maybe should have kept my fingers shut.. Picture????

Roger sent me a picture from the Truck thread.. Boy was I way off base. Sorry to say you may have a HUGE problem. My Saito 40 uses almost 4 full ounces for the pattern but I am running 20% nitro.. If not flying competitively 3 to 3 1/2 ounces will be fine but afraid it might not be enough for the full pattern.

So OK you are going to have to cut into the wing, just try to build a box with enough structure to make up for what you cut out of the wing. A hard tank is going to be your only option but I would seriously thnk about replumbing to clunk tanks. There was a thread on SSW a while back on this subject will see if I can find it...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 08:11:42 AM by Bob Reeves »

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:28:17 AM »
Can't find the thread this was in but here is the picture Bruse Hoffman emaild me when I asked him about his tank set up.. He says he doesn't have any trouble at all with the tubing inside a hard tank.

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 08:40:03 AM »
 y1 WOW, thanks for the feed back. THe drawing is great, I will look into getting some clunk/metal tanks made, i don,t solder well enough. I think i can box in enough strength, then triple layer with 00 silkspan cut in circles to reenforce. Am i missing anything here? A big plane, don't want the wing to fold. Bob i didn't give enough info at first, should have said twin, my bad. #^ Ron

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 08:57:45 AM »
How is the tank situation working out Ron?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 03:54:46 PM »
 Frank, I am going to use Tom Morris 4oz. piped for uniflow to start, may change to pressure per Dallas Tx. flyers. Using the Saito .40's i am going to cut back into the wing to the 1/4" spars. Am i in over my head? The tanks are plastic. Ron. #^ #^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here